Seahawks make Earl Thomas NFL's highest-paid safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Seahawks make Earl Thomas NFL's highest-paid safety

NFL.com
Published: April 28, 2014 at 04:55 p.m.
Updated: April 28, 2014 at 05:05 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...id-safety-with-new-deal?campaign=Twitter_news

The Seattle Seahawks have locked up star safety Earl Thomas to a blockbuster long-term extension, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Monday, per a source informed of the situation.

The new deal will make Thomas the highest-paid safety in the NFL, Rapoport adds.

Thomas, 24, was the team's first-round pick in 2010, and he's started all 16 games each season since being drafted.

Thomas was a key member of the team's Super Bowl winning season, coming in third place for NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

More details to come.

Alan

Legend
Safeties seem to be getting a lot of love. I sure hope Snisher shares some of those feelings. It's obvious to me that safety play was a large part of the problem with our D last year. I really hate hearing many people say they devalue the position. Whether they do or not I don't like hearing it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That's a lot smarter then making Sherman one of the highest paid corners

V3

Hall of Fame
Safeties seem to be getting a lot of love. I sure hope Snisher shares some of those feelings. It's obvious to me that safety play was a large part of the problem with our D last year. I really hate hearing many people say they devalue the position. Whether they do or not I don't like hearing it.

You'll be happy to know there have been no reports of them meeting with any FS's.

jjab360

Legend
After the Seahawks finish paying him, Sherman, and Wilson, there's no way they'll be able to afford the quality of depth they have up until this point.

V3

Hall of Fame
After the Seahawks finish paying him, Sherman, and Wilson, there's no way they'll be able to afford the quality of depth they have up until this point.

Unless they continue to draft well. That's what scares me.

Alan

Legend
V3 pointing out the good news:
You'll be happy to know there have been no reports of them meeting with any FS's.
Probably means we're targeting Ha-Ha after a small trade down at #13. (y) :LOL:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Good for Thomas, deserves it. Wish we had him or anything remotely close to him in out back field.

As long as Sherman has Thomas guarding his back, he will continue to be "elite" and talk non stop bullshit :mad:. Hope he somehow leaves and is shown that he really isnt elite and also gets called for all the penalties. I can dream.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
They'll just draft players. They've been doing a good job so far. Besides every team has a salary cap

jjab360

Legend
They'll just draft players. They've been doing a good job so far. Besides every team has a salary cap
They've been doing a decent job of drafting players, but they've also been splurging on trades and in free agency up until recently. They won't have that luxury once their best players are getting paid accordingly.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
They can't be as lucky in the draft in the future though, and these huge salaries will keep them from getting all those solid backup and role players.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Also gotta remember they are paying Harvin a shit ton to play a few games a year

SierraRam

Recreational User
Unless they continue to draft well. That's what scares me.

Their local mocks have them going DT, WR or G with pick 32. Hageman is the choice at DT, Benjamin or Cooks at WR. The one that scares me is G David Yankey from Stanford. He's becoming a favorite. He'll immediately strengthen a line that allows too much pressure up the middle, and he'll bring attitude to the run game. Not happy if they get this guy - their OL if the achilles heel...