Seahawks' Legion of Boom is battling to overcome injuries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...gion-of-boom-is-battling-to-overcome-injuries
Seahawks' Legion of Boom is battling to overcome injuries

RENTON, Wash. -- The Legion of Boom begins preparations for the 2015 season as the Legion of Bruised.

By the end of Super Bowl XLIX, most of the highly acclaimed secondary for theSeattle Seahawks was hurt. In fact, only cornerback Byron Maxwell wasn't hurt, and he's no longer here after signing with the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent.

Cornerback Richard Sherman had a torn ligament in his elbow; free safety Earl Thomas had a separated shoulder; strong safety Kam Chancellor had a torn knee ligament; nickelback Jeremy Lane had a broken arm and torn ACL; and cornerback Tharold Simon had a separated shoulder.

New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. At that time, it was thought Sherman would need Tommy John surgery on his elbow and Chancellor would need knee surgery to repair his torn MCL.

That wasn't true for either player. Sherman and Chancellor are going full speed in organized team activities.

"I feel great," Chancellor said. "I feel back to football form. I feel fast, feel strong. I just feel good out there. I started training two weeks after the Super Bowl, and two weeks after that, I started feeling back to normal again. It was a miracle.

"This is, like, my strongest offseason since I've been in the league. I wasn't able to train in the offseason because of surgeries. This is my first offseason training without surgeries, and I just feel a whole lot stronger at this point."

Even Sherman is amazed at Chancellor's recovery.

"Kam's a machine," Sherman said. "I'm waiting for somebody to cut him open and study him and see what he's made of because they don't make 'em like him. I've always said he recovers as fast as anybody. That's just who he is. He's a punisher.

"His style of play will leave a lot of people hurt if they hit people like that on a consistent basis, but he recovers from that quickly. His presence is felt and needed, and so is Earl's. I knew he's chomping at the bit. He'll be out there as quickly as he can."

Thomas had shoulder surgery in February and is expected to return later this summer. He surprised some people Tuesday in the OTA session when he participated in some of the position drills.

Nevertheless, the Seahawks probably will play it conservatively with their star safety, not taking any chances in the preseason to make sure he's healthy come September.

"He looks great," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said about Thomas. "They're really fired up about his return and the rehab work he's done already. So it looks like it should be no problem. We'll have to wait and see once he gets back out there."

Lane is going to take a little longer. He suffered a gruesome compound fracture of his arm in the Super Bowl, along with the ACL tear.

"Jeremy has had another concern come up in his arm and they're going to stay with it," Carroll said. "His knee's doing great. His arm is going to take a little longer than we thought to heal, so there's some stuff they're doing to take care of him."

Sherman also isn't 100 percent. He elected not to have the so-called Tommy John surgery because, unlike a baseball pitcher, Sherman doesn't need to throw a 90 mph fastball.

"It's doing a lot better," Sherman said of his elbow. "Obviously, scar tissue is still there, but my mobility is there. I have a lot more strength in my extension than I had at the end of last season. It just comes down to time to get the scar tissue more flexible than it was."

Many Seahawks fans wonder how the Super Bowl would have turned out if the Legion of Boom had been healthy. Lane went out early. Sherman and Thomas were each playing with one good arm, and Chancellor somehow managed to play the entire game wearing a brace over his torn MCL.

"There are no excuses," Sherman said. "Whether we were healthy or not, we lost. We accept that and move on. It was an emotional last couple of games. You understand that you win some and you lose some. Overcoming adversity is what helped all of us get to where we are today."

Now they will need to overcome injuries that have left the Legion of Boom a battered bunch.

"We'll be able to go back healthier and wiser," Sherman said. "Every year you grow wiser in the game and more mature."

With most of those injuries coming during the post season many of them might not be fully healed by the first game of the season.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Well I guess Dick Sherman will learn to hold and push off with his strong hand.
th

jap

Legend
The Legion of Boom better gear up quick---there's a vicious freight train named Gurley headed their way, and he will be heralded by a young Battering Ram OL that wants to blow everything off the line.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This was a VERY disappointing article!
I was hoping to read about all sorts of Sea-Chicken injuries!!(n)(n)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Glad they're all getting healthy !!!
Want to hear no bitch ass excuses from them when we beat them.