Seahawks LB knows the offensive play 70 percent of the time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ws-the-offensive-play-70-percent-of-the-time/

Bobby Wagner knows the offensive play 70 percent of the time
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2017

Here’s one that, if the guy who said it played for the Patriots, would prompt calls for an independent-in-name investigation.

Appearing on Wednesday’s PFT Live, Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner was asked how often he knows the play that is coming from the offense.

“I would probably say 70 percent of the time,” Wagner said.

So what does he primarily look for when studying the offense before the snap?

“It can really come from anywhere,” Wagner said. “It can come from formation. It can come from what a guy does, where a guy looks. A lot of it you don’t really pick it up until you get on the field, too, because some guys look where they’re going.

Some guys when they’re catching the ball they’ll tighten their gloves. The O-linemen have heavy stances in run verses pass is super light. There’s all types of things that you can find on film that can give you an edge.”

So what’s the weirdest tell Wagner has ever noticed?

“Well, there’s one guy, when he runs the ball his head’s really, really still — doesn’t move whatsoever but then when it’s a pass he’s always, like how he’s looking is like his head is almost going back and forth and back and forth because he needs to know who to block,” Wagner said.

Wagner declined to identify which running back does it, so that the running back won’t change what he does.

To hear more from Wagner’s extended and excellent interview, watch the video or download the PFT Live podcast at iTunes or audioBoom.

fearsomefour

Legend
I doubt 70% of the time.....and he is probably talking pass vs run, not specific plays....but, if true, that just means Wagner is a smart student of the game.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
So what’s the weirdest tell Wagner has ever noticed?

“Well, there’s one guy, when he runs the ball his head’s really, really still — doesn’t move whatsoever but then when it’s a pass he’s always, like how he’s looking is like his head is almost going back and forth and back and forth because he needs to know who to block,” Wagner said.

Wagner declined to identify which running back does it, so that the running back won’t change what he does.

I doubt it is but can someone check and make sure that's not Gurley bc that would help explain a lot :cautious:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Here’s one that, if the guy who said it played for the Patriots, would prompt calls for an independent-in-name investigation.
Seriously. And Pete isn't known for being "by the book" either.
But in all seriousness, good on Wagner, smarts and athleticism.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
70% seems like an exaggeration, especially since the middle school rams offense has been a part of beating them 5 of the last 7 or 8 times.

And believe me, that rb you didn't want to name so he won't stop his tell, now he knows you know and now other players will use that against you.

On the flip side, I've never quite forgiven fisher for trading down so seattle could grab him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be surprised if that percentage jumps to 100% against the Boras-Rams offense.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I remember hearing Michael Strahan say something similar about a particular O lineman whose hand would twitch in a certain way pre snap if it was a pass play.

Good players should study things like this because I bet you loads of offensive players have tells.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I remember hearing Michael Strahan say something similar about a particular O lineman whose hand would twitch in a certain way pre snap if it was a pass play.

Good players should study things like this because I bet you loads of offensive players have tells.

If I ran a football team I'd have a man or woman dedicated to study nuances like this.

In a league where the competitive balance is so tight, it's the tiny things that could tip a play or two your way each game.

New England has this approach mastered.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't be surprised if that percentage jumps to 100% against the Boras-Rams offense.

Lol, thats what I was thinking. I could see which play they'll run watching from my chair.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's just work in the film room. The guy pays attention and it helps his game. Every player has tells.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd say most could tell what an opponent would run if they studied enough....Esp. divisional games...It's more, this is what's coming, stop us...Seattle has been a top 4 defense for some time.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really not that surprising and no New England wouldn't be getting grilled for saying this. That just sounds like the guy writing the article now nothing about football. Pop Warner teams study film, good players recognize tells. :sleep:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Sounds like trigger fuel for the masses who want to make baseless accusations to further an agenda.

I was at the last game (Arizona) with my 16 year old son. We could call the offensive play before the ball was snapped. To be honest it really wasn't that hard.
1st and 10 - Gurley run off tackle - 2 yards
2nd and 8 - 12 to 14 yard pass - either receiver drops ball or Goff misses throw.
3rd and 8 - Goff completes a 3 yard pass and receiver gets no YAC
4 and 5 - punt!
Same thing next possession, and next, and next.....

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
It's really amazing how some guys can pick up various tendencies from players on certain plays. I've heard d-lineman talk about the tilt in a lineman's hips, the way his feet are pointed, watching to see if they are on their toes, even weight on feet or back on their heels will determine what type of play the offense is running. One guy said he could tell various plays by the pressure on the lineman's knuckles in his stance. I know when guys watch film they are trying to recognize tendencies. Some guys are real students of the game and want to gain every advantage they can. It can be both a positive and also an obsession to the point of over thinking.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Doesn't surprise me. Identifying a Run vs Pass is normal and run plays are especially easy to figure out, once the formation is set, there is really only so many outcomes if you know it will be a run.

And he's talking about the basics of a play. Which direction a play is, what gap they're running through, which player is supposed to get the ball, expected routes, blocking schemes, etc. Things like the actual play call he may not know, but he doesn't need to. The film room is invaluable to a player.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Pass vs run is very simple to identify in the Rams offense. Is a FB in? It's a run. Is Goff under center? Very likely a run. Are we in shotgun with Cunningham to Goff's right? It's a pass.

It's even pretty easy to know when they will fake punt or if they are just attempting to draw the opponent offsides.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pass vs run is very simple to identify in the Rams offense. Is a FB in? It's a run. Is Goff under center? Very likely a run. Are we in shotgun with Cunningham to Goff's right? It's a pass.

It's even pretty easy to know when they will fake punt or if they are just attempting to draw the opponent offsides.

Don't forget obvious run situations on any down and short... it will be a run up the middle. :LOL:

This was as hard an offense to watch as I can ever recall.

Time to turn the page.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wonder if he was referring to Gurley. It would explain the sudder drop off in broken tackles.