Seahawks acquire major headache in landing Harvin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...wks-acquire-major-headaches-in-landing-harvin

For all his talent, Seahawks acquire major headache in landing Harvin
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
March 11, 2013 2:11 pm ET

When news of the Percy Harvin trade to Seattle first broke, one Seahawks source told me this: "Can't believe we got him."

The Seahawks, I'm told, have given up at least a first-round pick for Harvin. That's a hefty price.

There was a great sense of euphoria within the organization. Superficially, that excitement is warranted. Harvin is a scary physical talent, a multidimensional threat and a blazer. He is one of the few players in the NFL who is dangerous all across the field in several phases of the game.

If you put Harvin with the explosive Seahawks pass thrower and that kick-ass defense, superficially at least, there are the makings of a franchise than can overtake San Francisco as the best in the NFC.

This is what you will hear and read all over the place. Pop the champagne bottles. Hide the women and children. The Seahawks are gonna be Super Bowl champs, ba-by!

There's a chance all of that happens but I have just one question: If Harvin is that good -- if he's such a game-changer -- why are the Vikings getting rid of him?

It's just a query.

And the answer is the Minnesota coaching staff started to, in the words of one Vikings source, tire greatly of Harvin. Yes, that is the word the source used: tire.

Harvin wanted out of Minnesota. That's clear. But what is also clear is the Vikings coaches wanted him out of Minnesota, too. Badly. Really, really badly.

Harvin is a major headache -- literally and figuratively. He hates being told what to do, which makes matters difficult if, you know, you're a coach and you want to, you know, coach.

The talent is dazzling but the attitude and head games drain as much as Harvin's physical ability dazzles. They go hand in hand. One cannot exist without the other.

Harvin is the 21st century Randy Moss: Hall of Fame talent, dollar bill head.

And remind me again how many Super Bowl rings Moss has? (Zero.)

Don't think Pete Carroll will be able to change Harvin, either. He won't. No one has. No one. Go through Harvin's history. He got into heated exchanges with both of the past two Vikings head coaches, Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier. Getting into an argument with Childress is one thing. Getting into it with Frazier is another. Frazier quite simply the nicest man alive. No one fights with Frazier unless that person is an ass.

There was also the Vikings assistant Harvin argued with one week before his argument with Frazier.

And the Florida Gators assistant he also almost reportedly came to blows with, according to the Sporting News.

And the disputes he had in high school, leading to him being suspended for a chunk of his career.

At every level of his football career (admittedly, I haven't checked Pop Warner), Harvin has been in disputes with authority figures.

Plus, Harvin's been hurt a bit.

So, yes, the trade looks great on the surface, and it may lead the Seahawks to 17 consecutive Super Bowls.

But along with that great Harvin ability come the tirades and the risk and the pouting and the alienation of coaches.

Maybe we'll see a new Harvin in Seattle. Perhaps the excellent coffee with soothe him.

Doubt it, though

iced

VERY good points.... And as a Gator fan, I am familiar with his history in college..

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well lets hope his 12 mill per season won't turn him into a team player, I hope it explodes in their face like a bunch of c4.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Barrison6 said:
Well lets hope his 12 mill per season won't turn him into a team player, I hope it explodes in their face like a bunch of c4.
I'm guessing it will. I mean he can have these tirades, alienate players and coaches and what can the Seahags do? They traded a first for him, he's going to make too much singing bonus money to just cut. I really think there's a good possibility that he completely ruins that locker-room. I would love to see this trade completely blow-up at them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think alot of you guys are in denial. harvin is a great pick up for the seagulls.

making the playoffs just got alot harder for the rams. harvin is the most dynamic player in the nfl right now. boldin is the most clutch wr in the nfl right now. the seagulls and the whiners got alot better right now.

however fisher and snead have a plan for the rams to make them better for the long haul. i''m expecting 2014 to be the year of the rams.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Cortland Finnegan,can get in his head, when there is that much space inside a head, Cortland can do it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
kurtfaulk said:

i think alot of you guys are in denial. harvin is a great pick up for the seagulls.

making the playoffs just got alot harder for the rams. harvin is the most dynamic player in the nfl right now. boldin is the most clutch wr in the nfl right now. the seagulls and the whiners got alot better right now.

however fisher and snead have a plan for the rams to make them better for the long haul. i''m expecting 2014 to be the year of the rams.

I don't think I'm in denial. Harvin is a great talent. But there's a reason MN wanted nothing to do with him. One article said that when you get into a shouting match with Leslie Frazier then you have to be an ass since he's such a nice guy. Let's see how he does with some of those guys over there, especially now that he has a big contract...I'm sure it will end well

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
kurtfaulk said:

I'd rather have Anquan than Percy.

Percy Harvin = role player. Besides...Seattle always tries to get a name WR. Remember TJ Housmandaawhatever and then Sidney Rice?

nighttrain

Legend
kurtfaulk said:

Rather have the 6'6'' Cook..He'll burn more CB's than Percy
train