Scrimmage Report vs. Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Today was a scrimmage between the Rams and the Chargers. There were, at my estimate, over 5,000 Rams fans and two Charger fans in attendance (I kid). I think we saw maybe four Charger’s jerseys all afternoon.

These Rams fans were true supporters of the team. No booing was heard from our section or anywhere else for that matter. Unless of course you mistakenly heard “Cooooooppp” (C. Kupp) or “Spruuuuuccce” (Nelson Spruce) and thought those were boo sounds. As to be expected, the beer garden attendees were very vocal.

Rams On Demand was well represented with @bubbaram, @theduke, @RamBall, @8to12 and yours truly VeteranRamFan. It was really great having all of us sitting together and talking Rams football. We were on the north side of the fields in shady bleachers. I excused myself to go and try to get some pics. Just too many people in my way for any good shots! The ushers (I guess that is what they are called) kept everyone away from the railing that separates the fans from the field so I couldn’t just hang out like I had been. I went back to our seats but the sight line was not very good for photos. Sorry guys.

Here is how practice started. The usual warm ups by position and then the teams split up with the Rams defense going to the far (south) field and the Chargers offense along with them. That meant we had the Rams offense and the Chargers defense on our field. Talking with @theduke we both agreed we didn’t need to watch our D and we wanted to see how our offense was looking. We were not disappointed. More on that later.

The teams broke into groups with our QB/WR 1’s and 2’s doing one on one against the Chargers DB’s at midfield and going away from us to our right and the 3’s at about the 30-yard line (about where we were sitting) going to our left. Things happened fast! This is another reason I couldn’t get any pics. Just too much action.

All of our QB’s were doing a good job of connecting. The Chargers DB’s did well in these drills also. Cooper Kupp runs some insanely sharp routes and catches everything. Other standouts include Higbee and Everett. Pharaoh Cooper also was getting open and making great catches. Back to Higbee for a moment. He went out on a seam route, out ran his man coverage and Goff dropped a dime for a TD. Let’s not forget about Woods and McRoberts. Both were showing well. McRoberts pulled one in on the far sideline on an out route. It was a great catch. Gurley was lining up in the backfield then goes in motion and lines up outside as a WR. He did this a few times. Once he took off on a go route and Goff threw a pretty decent ball, a little short and Gurley had to turn around and backpedal. That one got deflected by the DB but not because he knew where the ball was, just got his arms in the way.

If I remember correctly, and I asked the guys at the end of practice this, did the Chargers DB’s defend any passes? I could only remember one pass breakup where the DB got his hands on the ball and knocked it away. There may have been some others.

I think I messed up here, at some point we did 7X7 and that is where a lot of the above happened.

The 11x11 was really nice to watch. Hav was at RT, Brown at RG. Goff was afforded a good clean pocket and I think there may have been one sack. Goff did fake a handoff and rolled to his right. He threw on the run and Woods caught it sliding out of bounds. Incomplete as Woods came down out of bounds. I think Goff took way too long to decide to throw the ball on that one. Gurley was gaining about 5 yards a carry when going up the middle. Not bad, I’ll take it.

The teams then went into punt formation. Hecker is the best punter ever. We all know this. Our gunners were getting down field and covering very well. Special teams won’t be a problem. During this portion another fight broke out. Seems one of the Chargers blocking the gunner didn’t want to stop at the whistle. Coaches got in there quick and broke it up. This was the third fight of the afternoon. The other two came early on with our D against their O on the far field during 11x11. At the start of the second fight on the far field, Coach McVay was seen running from our field over to the action.

In summary, I was getting worried about our O as it seemed during our own practices the defense was winning the battles. That was not the case today. @theduke agreed that maybe our D is really good, especially the DB’s. I started off believing we would win 12 games this season, then I tempered that down to 10 and lately I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid and was hoping for 8 and 8. After today, I’ve changed my mind again and drank some more Kool-Aid and I’m back at 10 wins.

I’m sorry this isn’t one of my better reports, going totally off of memory and I know it isn’t up to my usual quality. I really enjoyed meeting up with the guys and really did appreciate their opinions and input. I know we all had a great time.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Thanks for that report, Vet.

You have no idea how much these tidbits are enjoyed by those of us that can't be there ourselves.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
VeteranRamFan said:
I’m sorry this isn’t one of my better reports, going totally off of memory and I know it isn’t up to my usual quality. But d@mn, the beer was good!

haha..Thanks for the report, Vet!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I enjoyed the Rams chat Vet, and nice report, you saw it a lot like I did.
Agreed. I just read your report. I wrote mine without reading any of the tweets or yours or @RamBall , @theduke or @8to12 . I just wanted to go off of what I remembered. We are both on the same page.

Ramball also stated some of the same things we have been saying and 8to12 posted some great info during the practice...good job Scott!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Awesome report. I appreciate the feedback from all of you.

The WR battle should be interesting. I don't know what to think anymore. Guys like McRoberts, Spruce and Ryan refusing to be camp bodies.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this stuff is a goldmine to fans like me..who hear nothing like this unless its from this place and you amazing posters

thank you from the bottom of my limey heart

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
@VeteranRamFan

Its amazing you take time out of your day and bring the action to our computer screens. Seems like the Rams are getting things in order, and that is a good thing. I am seriously counting down for Saturday, I want to see these guys live whether its preaseason or not. Also good to know McRoberts is doing good things out there on the field. Thank You

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Much appreciated report @VeteranRamFan. Love hearing that the offense night actually be taking a step forward this year!!

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
Thanks for the report this is always good information for fans who cant go to pratices because of location. Thanks to all who take time to make these reports it is greatly appreciated

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah that roster battle at the bottom of the WR group is no joke this year. And I guarantee they're all looking at the numbers and thinking these preseason games are their calling cards, so we're probably in for some good football with the depth guys.

I just hope Mannion and Orlosky don't get killed behind the OL once the starters come out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There were, at my estimate, over 5,000 Rams fans and two Charger fans in attendance (I kid). I think we saw maybe four Charger’s jerseys all afternoon.
you know how rowdy Irvine can get

I’m sorry this isn’t one of my better reports, going totally off of memory and I know it isn’t up to my usual quality.
too hard on yourself, this is excellent stuff....glad you guys had a good time...it's so much going on, to report anything is awesome....even the "feel" of a practice. Any thoughts on Hemingway....he seems to be moving on up the ladder. How about Travis Wilson?