Screens to Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DenverRam

Starter
Need a couple called next game.

He is just as good in receiving as he is running. Thats all.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I agree, Gurley has very good hands and they need to utilize him in the screen game.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Cignetti needs to cue up film of every passing play Martz drew up for Marshall Faulk. Another play that should come back is the 90 flip.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd also like to see them use Mason more. Both Gurley and Mason on the field together.
I think Mason could be more of a weapon than some of the other personnel that has struggled.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cignetti needs to cue up film of every passing play Martz drew up for Marshall Faulk. Another play that should come back is the 90 flip.
Great idea, I LOVE it!(y) Hopefully Cigs has already had it! After all Gurley is our MF 2.0!!:D (that's stands for Marshall Faulk II, NOT the other MF:LOL::D)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was disappointed that the team didn't throw to any of the backs more. Especially given all the pressure. Wheel routes, screens, even some dump offs to the flat might have helped.

Psycho_X

Legend
I was disappointed that the team didn't throw to any of the backs more. Especially given all the pressure. Wheel routes, screens, even some dump offs to the flat might have helped.

Agreed, Cignetti needs to watch what other teams do against our pass rush. When your QB is getting killed don't keep trying to throw it down the field every single time or running up middle. Loosen that defense up with screens and short routes out of the backfield.

Athos

Legend
I think we just need more two back sets. Not like our WRs are doing jack anyway.

Mix and match Gurley and Tavon and Gurley and Mason and Gurley/BamBam and Mason or Tavon. That alone will scare teams and consistently gives you dump off options.

If we're a run team, prove it.

Gimme some Wing T formations and shit.

Leaves a lot of creativity for Austin.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The problem is when you fake to him, because of his ability, the defense would tackle him (just for GPs....) but I would love to see a TE screen or even line up Benny @ the FB spot (or even use Bailey in motion let him clear center and then double back down the line behind and grab a screen having the remaining WR on that side clear out. Bailey's size would lose him once the play starts. But that's just something off the top of the head this morning.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think we just need more two back sets. Not like our WRs are doing jack anyway.

Mix and match Gurley and Tavon and Gurley and Mason and Gurley/BamBam and Mason or Tavon. That alone will scare teams and consistently gives you dump off options.

If we're a run team, prove it.

Gimme some Wing T formations and crap.

Leaves a lot of creativity for Austin.

I'd be A-OK with seeing a package of Kendricks and Harkey to block...Mason and Gurley in the backfiled...Austin and Bailey outside.

Move those parts around...you've got better blocking and I think better playmakers.

(obviously mixing that group in and out...not all at once)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love a play where Foles is in shotgun with Gurley on one side and Austin on the other, fake a screen to one and throw to the other.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd be A-OK with seeing a package of Kendricks and Harkey to block...Mason and Gurley in the backfiled...Austin and Bailey outside.

Move those parts around...you've got better blocking and I think better playmakers.

(obviously mixing that group in and out...not all at once)

Austin and Gurley and supposedly Cook are our "mismatch" guys. Go nickel? Gurley will run it up the gut. Go base? See if your linebackers can cover Austin and Cook (they seem to be able to handle cook quite easily at present as he doesn't seem to actually try to run a real route 80% of the time).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think you haven't seen the screens to Gurley yet because it makes him more vulnerable to hits to his knee when he's looking back for the ball. They are being cautious with his situations still. Yes, he got 30+ carries but that's with his eyes on the defenders. The screens will come soon and we can get very excited about that revelation. All of the genie's tricks are not out of the bottle yet with Gurley.

The jet sweeps to Austin have worked because of Gurley's presence and many of Gurley's successful runs are credited to Austin's presence. The jet sweeps actually have reminded me a little of Wing T plays that Athos is wanting to see. A true #1 WR is really going to get this party started but that doesn't mean we can't win consistently with what we've got. It's coming.

beej

Rookie
Fisher said that he expects teams to come attack the rams DEFENSE with screens and quick slants because of the defensive line being aggressive, fast, and in the backfield so often. Well our offensive line looks like a bad game of Red Rover. so why aren't we seeing more of that from our own offense?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Austin and Gurley and supposedly Cook are our "mismatch" guys. Go nickel? Gurley will run it up the gut. Go base? See if your linebackers can cover Austin and Cook (they seem to be able to handle cook quite easily at present as he doesn't seem to actually try to run a real route 80% of the time).
I know we aren't supposed to say players suck around here...but I'm so sick of sugar coating what Jared Cook is. He can't block and he drops passes like crazy. What good is he exactly?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's not just the Rams, but it wasn't too long ago seemed like every team had a back that caught like 70 balls a year coming out of the backfield. Just little swings and drops. safety valve, find a hole and camp.
Some teams still do it.
Rams need to bring that back.
But again the ball has to come out faster for even those to work.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cunningham has 14 catches for 154 yds(11 yds per) on the season so he's getting those looks as the primary 3rd down back. I'm sure Gurley will start to be integrated soon. Ciggy has dialed up some screens this year but the lack of vs Green Bay's relentless pass rush was a head scratcher for sure.