Scout's Tales: What the Rams Saw in Eugene Sims

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Scout's Tales: Eugene Sims
By StLouisRams.com

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Scouts-Tales-Eugene-Sims-/c8dfd36b-6d8c-4421-ad0f-d9147ec5ff9a

There are numerous ways NFLteams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

College Scout Steve Kazor on Scouting Small Colleges and Finding Eugene Sims.

I go to a lot of the real small schools throughout the country. I have a couple big schools like LSU, but we’ve had some success with some of these guys who have been free agents or late draft choices from Division II schools or NAIA schools.

When you go to an Alabama or an LSU for a Saturday night game, they’ll cram 300 people in the press box. A lot of the small schools where I go, they can only fit four or five people in the box, so I end up watching in the stands. I’ve been a lot of places where I’ve been among the fans, which is really not too bad sometimes because you get some information when you’re talking to the fans about the players.

I was at a hotel in a small town in Oklahoma last year, and when I got to the hotel I tried to email my report - they didn’t have internet yet at the hotel. I had to go down the street to McDonalds to file my report. Those are some of the challenges you deal with on the road, but you make the best of it.

In respect to the small schools, our scouting department does a great job of tracking guys. A lot of the prospects at the lower level schools are players who started out at bigger schools and transferred. Our staff does a great job of keeping up with those guys. Deantre Harlan, who we signed as an undrafted free agent this year, started at Baylor and transferred to Bacone College. We’ve tracked him all along and knew where he landed.

What we try to do when we watch these small college guys: they have to really dominate at their position. They need to have the side/speed ratios that our directors set aside. There are so many of those small schools that you go to that just don’t have anybody. It’s a wasted effort at times, but it’s a wasted effort at a lot of big schools, too.

There are a lot of reasons why a guy ends up at a small school. Sometimes they’re undersized coming out of high school or junior college. Sometimes it’s academic related. Sometimes it’s just because of playing time. They just don’t think they’re going to get a chance to play and they’d rather go to a smaller school and start than be a backup at a big school. You just have to weigh the variables on those guys.

With Eugene Sims, he was undersized coming out of junior college in Mississippi and transferred to West Texas A&M. He’s the kind of guy that has really developed through our strength and conditioning program to become a good player. A lot of times at the lower level schools, the facilities aren’t as good and the staff is different. Usually at the small schools, a position coach has to be the strength coach, too. They wear more than one hat, so it can be hard to get a defined effort when you have so many things you have to do.

As soon as he got here and started eating well, he put on some good weight. Some of those guys take their scholarship money, live in an apartment and eat Burger King all the time. You get them here and we’ve got a full-time chef and nutritionist. That’s one of the projections you’ve got to make. I’ve coached at every level, so I’ve been able to see what guys need physically to play at the pro level. You can see things in a guy that make you want to take a second look at a guy.

Another great thing about the small schools, when you go in there, they roll the red carpet out for you. They want you to be there. When a pro-scout comes, the level of practice increases. That’s why I really enjoy going to the small schools because you get a chance to visit with the entire staff. Sometimes at a big school, you don’t get that luxury.

We got to interview Eugene a couple of times and that went well. Everyone spoke very highly of him. You get a real sense of his wellbeing. As a pass rusher, with the motor that he had, he was relentless. In junior college, he was a strong safety. At West Texas, they moved him to linebacker in a 3-4. Then they put his hand in the ground and he had 13 sacks one year. That’s where they figured out where he needed to be and that’s the position at which he’s had success with us.

Eugene is a great success story. He’s fought through an awful lot to get where he is. It’s a real tribute to his work ethic and athletic ability.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Easy to overlook Eugene with all our 1st round picks on that ferocious D-Line, but he is definitely a key player for a lot of our defensive success. Good read!

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Nice. Always liked him. Have even more respect for him now knowing how hard he worked to suceed.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Interesting timing for this article from the Rams official site. Sims is kind of a backup to a backup when everyone is healthy, but a solid asset to have when guys got hurt and on special teams. Westbrooks showed well so Sims could drop to perhaps #7-8 in the rotation -- for a $3 million cap hit. I wonder if they are hoping he reads this while talking restructure. Or maybe it has nothing to do with anything other than a nice story about a nice player.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
He's one of five guys around from the previous regime (Sims, Kendricks, Laurenitis, Quinn, Long).

Going on 4 years, I believe that's all that's left of the Spags era.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Sims is a great backup. He rushes the passer well and is good in run defense. So he is not great at either. That is what you want from a backup. A good all around player that does what he is supposed, takes to being coached and gives a 100% effort every time he is on the field. Maybe 3 million is a bit much but so far I don't see him being unseated by anyone. He backs up Quinn.
Sims is kind of a backup to a backup when everyone is healthy

Not sure why you say this. What backup does he backup? He is a part of the rotation and gets a fair amount of snaps for a non starter. He makes plays too.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Not sure why you say this. What backup does he backup? He is a part of the rotation and gets a fair amount of snaps for a non starter. He makes plays too.
Yes hard to fit the square peg of the label "backup" into the round hole of a DL rotation, but clearly Hayes was the first guy to go in after the starting DE, then Sims. Sims only got so many snap counts because of injuries to C.Long and Hayes. He is valuable and effective, but I believe Westbrooks could fill this non-starter role at 1/6th the cost (that could go to signing a free agent starting OL).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With Sims, Hayes, and Fairly, Rotating with Quinn, Brockers, Donald and Long, I don't see anything else we need along our D-Line!!!!:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes hard to fit the square peg of the label "backup" into the round hole of a DL rotation, but clearly Hayes was the first guy to go in after the starting DE, then Sims. Sims only got so many snap counts because of injuries to C.Long and Hayes. He is valuable and effective, but I believe Westbrooks could fill this non-starter role at 1/6th the cost (that could go to signing a free agent starting OL).

I disagree. Hayes usually went to the Longs side and Simms usually backed up Quinn's side and when they all played on the line on passing downs It was usually Long, Hayes, Simms, Quinn.

While Westbrooks is cheaper, he was not able to unseat Simms last season. So, until he does I am going to assume the coaches think that he is not as good as Simms.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Plus I'll add from the article that I believe Westbrooke becomes more of a DT by getting stronger & eating better.
E.Simms is a speed guy!!! Have you ever seen him come off the edge ? He made 2-3 big plays that got called for penalties that might have cost The Rams games.I know one was total BS & the other was border line & or dumb..You have to know the QB is protected.
Eugene Simms is only going to be better.He does play the Right side & as the story states was a SS in j/C. He still is a little undersized for a every down DE ,especially behind maybe the best Rt DE in the game today.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think Sims is a great backup. He rushes the passer well and is good in run defense. So he is not great at either. That is what you want from a backup. A good all around player that does what he is supposed, takes to being coached and gives a 100% effort every time he is on the field. Maybe 3 million is a bit much but so far I don't see him being unseated by anyone. He backs up Quinn.

Agree 100%

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I disagree. Hayes usually went to the Longs side and Simms usually backed up Quinn's side and when they all played on the line on passing downs It was usually Long, Hayes, Simms, Quinn.

While Westbrooks is cheaper, he was not able to unseat Simms last season. So, until he does I am going to assume the coaches think that he is not as good as Simms.
I would guess the 2015 passing down rotation will be Long, Donald, Fairley, Quinn. Then Hayes. Then Sims.

I don't think that Westbrooks was unable to unseat Sims, it's just that Fisher sticks with his veterans -- in some cases probably too long.

Maybe 3 million is a bit much
This is all that I'm saying. I have nothing against Sims but the Rams spend far more than anyone else in the NFL on DL. And yet they still haven't addressed the need they created by losing Langford -- a big run-stuffing DT for 4th and goal on the 1 yard line -- not to mention all the other holes in the roster.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

Exactly, we have two backups for two defensive ends.

Hayes usually rotates in for Long and Simms usually rotates in for Quinn.

As well they've both been rotated to the interior of the line on passing downs.