Scout's Tales: What A Scout Saw In Joyner and Mason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Donald's size didn't limit him to being a situational player and he was exceptional in everything else.

I think Joyner would have got more snaps if he wasnt a rookie and we didnt already have our starting cb's.

Still want to see him used in Mcleods role.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memento

No. I say turn the lights out when threads appear to be going nowhere and responses are slanted in such a way which suggests I'm saying something that I'm not. Especially when many of those same responses are so far off in left field.

Anyway, did you even read the entire thread and thought on Calvin Johnson vs. Harrison and Holt? Doesn't look like it. Hence your responses. Same thing here. And oh my goodness, neither Holt are Harrison were tiny WRs.

You've gone on an on trying to come up with examples of smaller players (most of whom aren't as small as Joyner and each having better skill sets, btw) as a means of attempting to prove that smaller players can be effective in the league as if I said that they could not.

You've thrown in one weak, but favorable two year stat in an attempt to compare players as a means to prove a point while totally disregarding the unfavorable stats. At the same time, you marvel when someone takes a look at a player's first couple of NFL seasons and continues to have the same doubts he had pre-draft.

You've even gone on and on providing old information that I'd think everyone already knows (why the trades were made, other teams interest, Mathieu off the field issues) as if they had anything to do with the point being made. All of which leads to my suggestion to turn out the lights when you were done.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think Joyner would have got more snaps if he wasnt a rookie and we didnt already have our starting cb's.

Still want to see him used in Mcleods role.

Well, we already had starting DTs coming off strong seasons when Donald came aboard so....

IMO, McLeod gets a raw deal on this forum and has been a pretty solid at FS for this team. But, if Joyner can beat him out there, then all the better. But, I just have my doubts.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Well, we already had starting DTs coming off strong seasons when Donald came aboard so....

IMO, McLeod gets a raw deal on this forum and has been a pretty solid at FS for this team. But, if Joyner can beat him out there, then all the better. But, I just have my doubts.
That is true in Donald. Can't argue against that. Donald is truly special though, only thing I can counter with lol.

Fisher really likes McLeod, as do many here. But I am in the group that wants an upgrade. He has done better than I thought he would, but still don't view him as a quality starter. Just my opinion.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@Memento

No. I say turn the lights out when threads appear to be going nowhere and responses are slanted in such a way which suggests I'm saying something that I'm not. Especially when many of those same response are so far off in left field.

Anyway, did you even read the entire thread and thought on Calvin Johnson vs. Harrison and Holt? Doesn't look like it. Hence your responses. Same thing here. And oh my goodness, neither Holt are Harrison were tiny WRs.

You've gone on an on trying to come up with examples of smaller players (most of whom aren't as small as Joyner and each having better skill sets, btw) as a means of attempting to prove that smaller players can be effective in the league as if I said that they could not.

You've thrown in one weak, but favorable two year stat in an attempt to compare players as a means to prove a point while totally disregarding the unfavorable stats. At the same time, you marvel when someone takes a look at a player's first couple of NFL seasons and continues to have the same doubts he had pre-draft.

You've even gone on and on providing old information that I'd think everyone already knows (why the trades were made, other teams interest, Mathieu off the field issues) as if they had anything to do with the point being made. All of which leads to my suggestion to turn out the lights when you were done.

Again, I haven't debated anything that you haven't said. Please don't put words in my mouth. I haven't done the same to you; I respect you too much to do that.

I pulled up Mathieu's and Joyner's stats from college football. I mentioned who was better at what, where they were similar, where they were different.

And I marvel when people judge the ultimate potential of players (hence you saying that Austin and Joyner are bit players when I feel tha there is not enough to prove that) when they've only played two seasons at most. I never said anything about your doubts or anyone else's.

But I'll accept what you said. I'm done.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That is true in Donald. Can't argue against that. Donald is truly special though, only thing I can counter with lol.

Fisher really likes McLeod, as do many here. But I am in the group that wants an upgrade. He has done better than I thought he would, but still don't view him as a quality starter. Just my opinion.

Yeah. I moreso hope that they look to upgrade the CBs somehow. Either way, a team with this potential pass rush shouldn't have QBs completing such a high percentage of passes like last year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Again, I haven't debated anything that you haven't said. Please don't put words in my mouth. I haven't done the same to you; I respect you too much to do that.

I pulled up Mathieu's and Joyner's stats from college football. I mentioned who was better at what, where they were similar, where they were different.

And I marvel when people judge the ultimate potential of players (hence you saying that Austin and Joyner are bit players when I feel tha there is not enough to prove that) when they've only played two seasons at most. I never said anything about your doubts or anyone else's.

But I'll accept what you said. I'm done.

OK.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah. I moreso hope that they look to upgrade the CBs somehow. Either way, a team with this potential pass rush shouldn't have QBs completing such a high percentage of passes like last year.

At least we agree on this. I want an upgrade at CB as well. Your last sentence is 10000% spot on.

Having a better FS would make our cb's look a little better too though.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I love Joyner. We saw glimpses of that hard hitting mentality, but 2014 was mostly a lost year for him. He didn't see the field much early, then the groin injury pretty much knocked him out from week 10 onward.

In a way, he'll be like a new chess piece on this defense in 2015. Fairley, Ayers, and Joyner all "new to the team" plus whatever we add via draft. Scary!

You can't teach the heart and motor Joyner brings to the table. He's my breakout player for 2015, even though he's potentially fighting for snaps in a crowded defensive backfield.

I can't even believe that play by Joyner. That was unreal amounts of speed / heart / hustle from Joyner. On one play he:
  • Blitzed from the S position (slot?), shot the LT's B gap to put pressure on a QB who was rolling away from him. In the pros, he'd get credit for a hurry. This was at the 2 yard line, 8 yards behind the LoS. The QB had to take a quick 5 yard crossing route to the wide open slot WR, Dezmon Epps, who immediately turns it up-field. Worth noting, Epps is a 4.38-4.48 40 guy. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=130277&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR
  • Joyner hustles back into the play, and after getting tripped by his own player still dives at the feet of Epps at the 40 yard line. Missed tackle?
  • Not discouraged at all, Joyner gets right back up, and despite having 5+ yards of a head start to make up, tracks down Epps from behind and makes a very sure fundamental tackle at the 25(ish).
  • And most amazingly, after running all out for more than 100 yards, Joyner stays on the field and is covering Epps in the slot again on the next play.
I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Ever!