Scout's Tales: What A Scout Saw In Joyner and Mason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Scout's Tales: Lamarcus Joyner and Tre Mason
By StLouisRams.com

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Scouts-Tales-Lamarcus-Joyner-and-Tre-Mason/80db0506-d751-43b3-92ed-d50d694ef3d0

There are numerous ways NFL teams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

Sean Gustus on scouting the SEC and Joyner and Mason.

In my role as our Southeast area scout, I cover South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. There are always a lot of guys coming from this area. There’s a lot of good football with the big ACC and SEC schools in the region and they have a lot of talented players. I tend to have a very deep prospect pool down here.

Most of the other regions are bigger from a geographical standpoint. Last year I had North Carolina and I went into Tennessee a little bit. As a scouting staff, we decided to minimalize the area a little this year because the volume is so great. There are a lot of guys who get drafted from my current four states, as there are across the country. But if you look at the last few drafts, there’s a heavy concentration of guys from my specific region. Last year alone, the top four picks in the draft came from the four states that I cover: Jadeveon Clowney from South Carolina, Greg Robinson from Auburn, Blake Bortles from Central Florida and Sammy Watkins from Clemson. The number of states might be less, but you’re dealing with a lot of prospects in that smaller area.

I previously scouted the Northeast region. Being in the Southeast, it doesn’t make the job different. It’s just the volume is bigger. In the Northeast, you might have 15-20 prospects that you see in a week on your school visits. Here, you could have that at one school that you’re writing. You multiply that by five schools, that’s a pretty good amount of reports throughout the week that you have to get done. It’s just a lot deeper here.

In the Southeast, you have some of the premier programs in college football, from Alabama and Auburn to Georgia, Florida State, Clemson, South Carolina. In just the state of Florida alone, you’ve got Florida State, Florida and Miami. Then Central Florida has had a good program and South Florida is on the rise. There’s a lot of good football down here.

While the big schools may steal some of the headlines, so to speak, there are some smaller schools in this region that have real NFL talent. There are guys that might have been late bloomers coming out of high school that make a good case for themselves as an NFL prospect. You look at a guy like Andre Roberts with the Redskins. He comes from The Citadel, which is in Charleston, South Carolina. Troy has had guys in the past, and although they’re having a down year, they’ve produced first-round picks in the past ten years like DeMarcus Ware. You have the smaller schools that have guys that might not have gone to the top school in the state but they found their niche and they’ve got an opportunity to make their case at the next level.

It’s just as important to spend your time and do a thorough job at the smaller schools. At the big programs, they know the process. Everything is kind of laid out for you when you visit. At some of the smaller schools, sometimes you have to do a little more digging, but you can still have the same type of reward. Whether a guy is from Florida State or Florida A&M, if the guy can play, he can play. You have to do your due diligence regardless of the size of school.

I consider it an honor to get to scout this region. I don’t take the responsibility lightly. It’s not pressure, but when you do this region, you know you need to get it right because of the number of top prospects and draftable prospects you’re dealing with. I don’t take that for granted. You can’t go into it halfhearted because I know the importance of this area.

Last year, the Rams used three of our top four picks on guys from the Southeast. Two of those guys were Tre Mason from Auburn and Lamarcus Joyner from Florida State.

With Tre, he was as steady as they come in terms of a runner. The game that stood out to me was the SEC Championship against Missouri. To see him withhold the punishment of 40-plus carries and lead his team, that solidified things for me in terms of him being an every-down back. That game made me realize that he was someone who could be a three-down back and be very productive.

Lamarcus was one of my favorite players to watch last year. Even though he’s a smaller guy in terms of the measurables you typically use for a defensive back, he plays a lot bigger than his size would indicate. He was all over the field. He was a safety earlier on, but he moved to corner. I remember the Clemson game last year: Lamarcus dominated from the first play to the end. He had a forced fumble on the first play of the game. You saw this guy who was smaller in stature but he was the biggest guy on the field. He was facing a team that had Sammy Watkins, Taj Boyd and Martavis Bryant, who was drafted by the Steelers. That was a prolific offense, and Lamarcus stood out as one of the best players, if not the best player, on the field that day.

Especially with the top guys, sometimes you have to do a little extra work to get a good feel for their character. With these two, we were fortunate because they’re both really good guys. Lamarcus is from Miami, and Miami guys tend to be stereotyped as flashy guys, but he was the furthest thing from it. He was all business. He wanted to be great. He did everything in his power while at FSU to be great. He stood out as a leader there. He was a guy that the strength coach couldn’t break. When he entered that building, he was all business. He’s a football guy who doesn’t go out a lot. He was all about football.

Tre was similar to Lamarcus. It makes my job easier when you don’t have to do all the digging to find the dirt and to worry if they’ll embarrass you if they come to your team. That’s an added plus if they’re good football players and good citizens. You’ve got to realize you’re dealing with 18-22 year old kids becoming men. They may have made some mistakes, but they’re in the process of growing up. When you get guys like that who have been consistent and kept their nose clean, who you can tell have had people in their corner, it makes our job a little easier.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Joyner. We saw glimpses of that hard hitting mentality, but 2014 was mostly a lost year for him. He didn't see the field much early, then the groin injury pretty much knocked him out from week 10 onward.

In a way, he'll be like a new chess piece on this defense in 2015. Fairley, Ayers, and Joyner all "new to the team" plus whatever we add via draft. Scary!

You can't teach the heart and motor Joyner brings to the table. He's my breakout player for 2015, even though he's potentially fighting for snaps in a crowded defensive backfield.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I love Joyner. We saw glimpses of that hard hitting mentality, but 2014 was mostly a lost year for him. He didn't see the field much early, then the groin injury pretty much knocked him out from week 10 onward.

In a way, he'll be like a new chess piece on this defense in 2015. Fairley, Ayers, and Joyner all "new to the team" plus whatever we add via draft. Scary!

You can't teach the heart and motor Joyner brings to the table. He's my breakout player for 2015, even though he's potentially fighting for snaps in a crowded defensive backfield.

I sure hope you are right, but I still prefer the Bill Parcells line of thought that bigger is better in this league. IMO, this team has got to stop trading up in the 1st or even 2nd rounds for tiny situational players who have little chance to the the #1 guy at their positions due to said limited size.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Holy shit that was amazing.........what a play!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I sure hope you are right, but I still prefer the Bill Parcells line of thought that bigger is better in this league. IMO, this team has got to stop trading up in the 1st or even 2nd rounds for tiny situational players who have little chance to the the #1 guy at their positions due to said limited size.

Being 5'8" didn't stop Bob Sanders from being one of the best safeties in the league when he played. Being 5'9" doesn't stop Earl Thomas from being the best free safety in the game right now.

It's not the size of the person in the fight. It's the size of the heart of the person. And one does not simply measure Lamarcus Joyner's heart.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Being 5'8" didn't stop Bob Sanders from being one of the best safeties in the league when he played. Being 5'9" doesn't stop Earl Thomas from being the best free safety in the game right now.

It's not the size of the person in the fight. It's the size of the heart of the person. And one does not simply measure Lamarcus Joyner's heart.

Bob Sanders was a 5'8", 210 pound walking muscle who was as stud safety in college. Yet he missed far more games than he played in during his career due to injury.

Earl Thomas is 5'10" about 205 or so lbs. and was also a stud safety coming out of college.

And heart or no, Joyner is a project slot CB or FS with questionable hands and cover skills who is only 5'8" 184 or so lbs.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Bob Sanders was a 5'8", 210 pound walking muscle who was as stud safety in college who missed far more games than he played in during his career due to injury.

Earl Thomas is closer to 5'10" about 205 lbs. and was also a stud safety coming out of college.

And heart or no, Joyner is a project slot CB or FS who is 5'8" 184 or so lbs.

Joyner was a stud safety coming out of college as well. And don't forget guys like Tyrann Mathieu and Matt Elam at safety. Mathieu is also 5'8" and only two pounds heavier than Joyner is. And he's had two years in an NFL weight program. With the proper move to free safety, who's to say that Joyner couldn't do the same, if not more?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Joyner was a stud safety coming out of college as well. And don't forget guys like Tyrann Mathieu and Matt Elam at safety. Mathieu is also 5'8" and only two pounds heavier than Joyner is. And he's had two years in an NFL weight program. With the proper move to free safety, who's to say that Joyner couldn't do the same, if not more?

3rd Rounder, Tyrann Mathieu is actually a half an inch taller, more of a play maker, better in coverage, and has FAR better ball skills. And Matt Elam is closer to 5'10" too (5097).

And if Joyner were really a stud safety coming out, I'd say that, chances are, he wouldn't have still been on the board after 40 selections in his draft class. Meanwhile Elam, Sanders, and Thomas were all 1st rounders, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
3rd Rounder, Tyrann Mathieu is actually a half an inch taller, more of a play maker, better in coverage, and has FAR better ball skills. And Matt Elam is closer to 5'10" too (5097).

And if Joyner were really a stud safety coming out, I'd say that, chances are, he wouldn't have still been on the board after 40 selections in his draft class. Meanwhile Elam, Sanders, and Thomas were all 1st rounders, if I'm not mistaken.

Sanders was a second round pick in 2004. The only reason why Joyner wasn't taken in the first round was because 2014 was a deep draft, and he was 5'8". Two inches taller, and I'd guarantee that he would have been a first round pick that year.

Better in coverage is very much debatable. Mathieu had more forced fumbles, true, but half of Joyner's interceptions, less sacks, less solo tackles. And a half of a inch? No. Mathieu is 5'8". A tall 5'8", but 5'8" nonetheless. And before you say that Mathieu did more with less time, I'd like to remind you that it was Mathieu's own stupid decisions that cost him his college career. And Joyner still had more picks in his first two years than Mathieu did in his. Far better ball skills? No.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well, actually it did since he was always injured.

When he was healthy? 2007 Defensive Player of the Year. The main reason why the Colts got their Super Bowl ring.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sanders was a second round pick in 2004. The only reason why Joyner wasn't taken in the first round was because 2014 was a deep draft, and he was 5'8". Two inches taller, and I'd guarantee that he would have been a first round pick that year.

Better in coverage is very much debatable. Mathieu had more forced fumbles, true, but half of Joyner's interceptions, less sacks, less solo tackles. And a half of a inch? No. Mathieu is 5'8". A tall 5'8", but 5'8" nonetheless. And before you say that Mathieu did more with less time, I'd like to remind you that it was Mathieu's own stupid decisions that cost him his college career. And Joyner still had more picks in his first two years than Mathieu did in his. Far better ball skills? No.

If so, my bad on Sanders draft position. Still he was bigger, stronger, faster, and a better safety than Joyner coming out of college. And couldn't stay healthy.

But, sorry this debate was already had pre-draft. Joyner's official height was 5'8" even. Mathieu's official height was 5'8 1/2". That's a half inch taller. Not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless.

And I wouldn't say that coverage skills are debatable at all. But, I just can't get myself to rely upon 1 more INT in a more pass happy, inferior conference during Joyner's first couple years in comparison to somehow represent proof otherwise. That would be unfair and not make much sense to me. Especially, while disregarding all other stats in which Mathieu bested Joyner during their first couple of college seasons at the same time. Anyway, watch the games.

I mean c'mon. didn't Dexter McCleon and Aeneas Williams come close or tie for INTs the year they played together? Who was better in coverage?

Last edited:

Big Willie

Starter

In addition, all three will be "hungry" in 2015. Fairly is playing for his big contract. Joyner playing to prove the Rams made a good choice in moving up for him and to gain a starting spot. Ayers will be playing to take Dunbar's spot and prove that he's a starting OLB in a 4-3 alignment.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If so, my bad on Sanders draft position. Still he was bigger, stronger, faster, and a better safety than Joyner coming out of college. And couldn't stay healthy.

But, sorry this debate was had at the time pre-draft. Joyner's official height was 5'8" even. Mathieu's official height was 5'8 1/2". That's a half inch taller. Not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless.

And I wouldn't say that coverage skills are debatable at all. But, I just can't get myself to rely upon 1 more INT in a more pass happy inferior conference during Joyner's first couple years in comparison to somehow represent proof otherwise. That would be unfair and not make much sense to me. Just like pointing out that one area in which Joyner bested Mathieu statwise during their first couple of college seasons and ignoring in which he didn't while trying to use said point as proof. Watch the games.

An inferior conference where Joyner's team won the main bowl game in his senior year.

And I did watch the games, thank you very much. Their ball skills are just about equal. Both of them alternated between cornerback and free safety. Both of them were hard-hitters with huge hearts who were questioned because of their size. Their speed on the field was similar. Mathieu had more pass-deflections; Joyner had more interceptions. Joyner is a better pass-rusher off the edge; Mathieu forces more fumbles. Mathieu had serious character issues coming out; Joyner did not. Mathieu weighs two pounds more, but Joyner is stronger and more compact. If they were two inches taller, they would have been first round picks in their draft class. In fact, Joyner's NFL comparison was Mathieu.

And it's not "if so" on Sanders; a simple check on Google would have shown you that he was a second round pick. And that wasn't even my point. Judging someone because of their size alone is not wise in the slightest, especially if it isn't basketball. Because those small guys? They tend to have a major chip on their shoulder.

To use examples from other sports, if you judged Jose Altuve by his size alone, he would be one of the worst players in baseball. But he just flat out hits, plays good defense, and he's probably the second-best second baseman in the major leagues (second only to Robinson Cano) and easily the most underrated player in the major leagues.

Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames) is probably going to win the rookie of the year award and be a catalyst for the Flames for another decade, and he's only 5'9" on skates and less than 180 lbs. soaking wet.

In football? Plenty of examples of guys who were short/small/whatever thriving in this league.

Memphis Ram

Legend
An inferior conference where Joyner's team won the main bowl game in his senior year.

And I did watch the games, thank you very much. Their ball skills are just about equal. Both of them alternated between cornerback and free safety. Both of them were hard-hitters with huge hearts who were questioned because of their size. Their speed on the field was similar. Mathieu had more pass-deflections; Joyner had more interceptions. Joyner is a better pass-rusher off the edge; Mathieu forces more fumbles. Mathieu had serious character issues coming out; Joyner did not. Mathieu weighs two pounds more, but Joyner is stronger and more compact. If they were two inches taller, they would have been first round picks in their draft class. In fact, Joyner's NFL comparison was Mathieu.

And it's not "if so" on Sanders; a simple check on Google would have shown you that he was a second round pick. And that wasn't even my point. Judging someone because of their size alone is not wise in the slightest, especially if it isn't basketball. Because those small guys? They tend to have a major chip on their shoulder.

To use examples from other sports, if you judged Jose Altuve by his size alone, he would be one of the worst players in baseball. But he just flat out hits, plays good defense, and he's probably the second-best second baseman in the major leagues (second only to Robinson Cano) and easily the most underrated player in the major leagues.

Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames) is probably going to win the rookie of the year award and be a catalyst for the Flames for another decade, and he's only 5'9" on skates and less than 180 lbs. soaking wet.

In football? Plenty of examples of guys who were short/small/whatever thriving in this league.

What happened during Joyner's senior season has absolutely nothing to do with what happened during his first couple of seasons of which you based your stat comparisons on.

And sure, I could have googled Sanders, but there was no need to go out of my way to do so, hence I said "if so" and continued my thought. Sorry, if that offended you.

But, whether one likes it or not, this is the NFL. Not baseball or hockey. Parcells hasn't lost his mind. A player's size can play a significant role in his ability/chances to be the #1 player at his position in the NFL. And especially, if said player isn't or near exceptional in every other facet. (BTW, please take note that I haven't limited my concerns of Joyner to his size). This doesn't mean a player doesn't have a place in the league, a view which you seem to be gearing my comments toward. But, that's just the way it is.

But, back to my ORIGINAL THOUGHT. IMO, it makes little to no sense to trade up in the 1st or 2nd round for such a player. That WR should have the potential to be the number one guy outside and in the slot. And that CB should have the potential to effectively cover (hopefully shutdown) WRs in the slot and outside. Of course, teams should always put their players in the best positions to have success, but such high draft selections shouldn't have to rely upon being schemed to have said success.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Plenty of "smaller"players have had great success in the NFL. If we went with the "bigger is better" approach we wouldn't have Donald.

I like Joyner and hope we see him at FS sometime. His has the instincts to be very good in that role IMO.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What happened during Joyner's senior season has absolutely nothing to do with what happened during his first couple of seasons of which you based your stat comparisons on.

And sure, I could have googled Sanders, but there was no need to go out of my way to do so, hence I said "if so" and continued my thought. Sorry, if that offended you.

But, whether one likes it or not, this is the NFL. Not baseball or hockey. Parcells hasn't lost his mind. A player's size can play a significant role in his ability/chances to be the #1 player at his position in the NFL. And especially, if said player isn't or near exceptional in every other facet. (BTW, please take note that I haven't limited my concerns of Joyner to his size). This doesn't mean a player doesn't have a place in the league, a view which you seem to be gearing my comments toward. But, that's just the way it is.

But, back to my ORIGINAL THOUGHT. IMO, it makes like to no sense to trade up in the 1st or 2nd round for such a player. That WR should have the potential to be the number one guy outside and in the slot. And that CB should have the potential effectively to cover (hopefully shutdown) WRs in the slot and outside.

And if the wide receiver can become a dominant player at his position? If the cornerback converts to a starting free safety and excels? I don't know what to say to people who think that one to two years is enough to properly ascertain what a player will become. If that was the case, then guys like Calvin Johnson and Nnamdi Asomugha - the former of whom is someone that you consider a matchup problem and a better wide receiver than Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison - would have never made it in the league. After all, he's a 2nd overall pick and he didn't get a thousand yards in a single season until his third year. Asomugha didn't even become a starter until 2005, and he was arguably the most dominant cornerback in the league from 2006-2010, even more so than Revis. Sean Taylor didn't become an All-Pro until 2007, the year of his death, and I guarantee that at twenty-four-years of age, he would've made a lot more All-Pro teams, if he was alive. He was the fifth overall pick in 2004, and didn't make a Pro Bowl until his third year, and even then, it was as an alternate.

Even in the NFL, size doesn't matter as much as you think it does. If it did, then Darren Sproles, Wayne Chrebet, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Brent Grimes, among many others wouldn't have become stars at their positions. Trumaine Johnson is so much bigger and faster than E.J. Gaines; do you really think that he's better than him?

NFL success is not measured by size, strength, speed, etc. If it was, then Vernon Gholston would be the greatest defensive end who ever lived.

And about trading up for those players: it was common knowledge that the Jets were going to take Austin at #9 overall in the 2013 draft. It was common knowledge that there were teams that were going to take Joyner before we traded up with Tennessee, who also wanted Joyner, but figured that we were moving up to take a wide receiver instead. All we gave up for the latter was a measly fifth round pick. We gave up more for the former, sure, but his career is not over after two seasons in a running offense with quarterbacks who could barely hack it at the NFL level. Likewise, Joyner's career is not over in one season spent being a backup.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Plenty of "smaller"players have had great success in the NFL. If we went with the "bigger is better" approach we wouldn't have Donald.

I like Joyner and hope we see him at FS sometime. His has the instincts to be very good in that role IMO.

Donald's size didn't limit him to being a situational player and he was exceptional in everything else.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And if the wide receiver can become a dominant player at his position? If the cornerback converts to a starting free safety and excels? I don't know what to say to people who think that one to two years is enough to properly ascertain what a player will become. If that was the case, then guys like Calvin Johnson and Nnamdi Asomugha - the former of whom is someone that you consider a matchup problem and a better wide receiver than Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison - would have never made it in the league. After all, he's a 2nd overall pick and he didn't get a thousand yards in a single season until his third year. Asomugha didn't even become a starter until 2005, and he was arguably the most dominant cornerback in the league from 2006-2010, even more so than Revis. Sean Taylor didn't become an All-Pro until 2007, the year of his death, and I guarantee that at twenty-four-years of age, he would've made a lot more All-Pro teams, if he was alive. He was the fifth overall pick in 2004, and didn't make a Pro Bowl until his third year, and even then, it was as an alternate.

Even in the NFL, size doesn't matter as much as you think it does. If it did, then Darren Sproles, Wayne Chrebet, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Brent Grimes, among many others wouldn't have become stars at their positions. Trumaine Johnson is so much bigger and faster than E.J. Gaines; do you really think that he's better than him?

NFL success is not measured by size, strength, speed, etc. If it was, then Vernon Gholston would be the greatest defensive end who ever lived.

And about trading up for those players: it was common knowledge that the Jets were going to take Austin at #9 overall in the 2013 draft. It was common knowledge that there were teams that were going to take Joyner before we traded up with Tennessee, who also wanted Joyner, but figured that we were moving up to take a wide receiver instead. All we gave up for the latter was a measly fifth round pick. We gave up more for the former, sure, but his career is not over after two seasons in a running offense with quarterbacks who could barely hack it at the NFL level. Likewise, Joyner's career is not over in one season spent being a backup.

OK Memento. Keep arguing against things not even said or believed and turn the lights out when you are done.

iced

1/2" is such a negligible difference that it doesn't make a difference. I mean hell wearing shoes can give you 1/2" lol

Memento

Name
Jemma
OK Memento. Keep arguing against things not said and turn the lights out when you are done.

C'mon @jrry32 think. You arguing as if I've slighted Holt and Harrison (two of my favorite NFL WRs btw) by rating them below Calvin Johnson whom you even call an elite future HOFer.

And now you are throwing stats out there as if they tell the whole story. BTW, I noticed in doing so, that you've totally disregarded the STUD receiving AND rushing threat(s) that defenses ALSO had to account for in Edgerrin James (Marshall Faulk/ Steven Jackson for Holt).

But, I'm done here. Both Holt and Harrison were stud WRs. But, they simply weren't a rare stud WR like Calvin Johnson. And neither is Amari Cooper who might not even turn out to be the best WR in this draft class. Thus, I wouldn't trade up for him. I'm done here. Turn out lights when you are finished.

I would never put words in your mouth. Ever. All I've done is debate against things that you - have - said.

Oh, and the whole "turn the lights out" thing? Do you say that to everyone who proves you wrong?