Scout's Tales: How the Rams Arrived At Picking Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Scout's Tales: Aaron Donald
By StLouisRams.com

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Scouts-Tales-Aaron-Donald/910aff46-e2cd-49d5-8a7a-45814fa773de

There are numerous ways NFL teams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

Area Scout John Zernhelt on School Visits and Seeing Aaron Donald.

I scout the Northeast part of the country, and my area covers Virginia to Maine. Each school that I’m assigned, if they’ve got draftable prospects, I’ll visit them three times. You watch them in summer camp; you watch them later in September and again in October.

When you arrive at a school, you get there early in the morning and you meet with the football operations director. He gives you background information on the kid: the hometown, their family and those types of things. After that, you’ll go to a film room and watch tape for the biggest part of the day. You meet with the strength coach. You meet with an academic advisor that gives you some background on the player’s performance in those areas. You meet with the trainer to see if they have ever been injured, how their rehab habits are. Then you go to practice. You get a feel for their effort in practice, how hard they work and that type of thing.

If they’re a good student and they don’t have any issues academically, there’s no need to dig that much further as far as talking to other people around campus outside of the athletic department.

Our visits are kind of dry. They get scouts in there three or four times a week. It’s like they’re reading the same thing to you every day. Sometimes you’ll have a kid that has an interesting story where they’ve overcome tremendous obstacles to get where they are now. Those things are heartwarming, but the visits are business.

When you get to the schools in the morning, the scouts are supposed to bring donuts or bagels. A lot of the coaches are trying to eat healthier now than they were years ago. I always take the éclair donuts. There’s nothing low calorie about what I’m taking.

I’ve spent the last 10 years as a coach and a scout in the NFL, but prior to that I was a college coach for about 25 years. The relationships I have in the college game are really helpful to me now. That’s the case with Aaron Donald. I’ve known Aaron’s position coach for about 30 years. That was a help. I knew I was getting good information and I knew I could trust him.

With Aaron, he was incredibly productive. He disrupted a ton of plays. He was a great pass rusher and a smart football player. Initially, I wondered how he’d fit with our group because he’s not as tall as our defensive tackles. Michael Brockers is 6-foot-5 and Kendall Langford is 6-foot-6. Aaron is about 6-foot-1. But if his neck were two inches taller, would that make him a better football player? No. He was just a great player and our guys fell in love with his productivity, his intensity and how hard he played. He’s really a driven football player.

The thing that stood out about Aaron when I visited Pittsburgh was his competitiveness and his practice habits. He competed and went as hard as he could. Everything he did, he was full effort. He was a good practice player and a good game player.

In games, Aaron wasn’t double teamed all the time. You’d think teams would slide protection to him, but they didn’t all the time. They had a good defense. He had his share of 1-on-1 battles, but the important thing was that he won those. Not only would he come free, but his effort was so good that he made sacks, not only off of quickness and freeing himself up, but also by effort and chasing the ball.

Aside from seeing a great football player in Aaron, I love going to Pittsburgh because it’s a great food city. I won’t eat for two days before I get there. It’s notorious for these incredible sandwiches. There’s one place where they call them ‘headwiches’ because they’re as big as your head. You don’t take bites you just gnaw your way through. I can give you directions to places up and down the East coast based on places to eat.

After being a coach for so long, I’ve enjoyed being out on the road. The Northeast is so beautiful in the fall. You’ve got the Hudson Valley in New York and the foliage in New England. Plus, my mom lives in Pennsylvania and I’ve been able to stay with her several times over the last year while I’m traveling, and that’s been special.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Scouting Aaron Donald was so easy he got to stop and smell the roses sounds like.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I could have scouted Donald. And I would have scored some chicken wings at "The World Famous Midway" near Beaver Valley. ;)

FRO

Legend
All I had to do was watch his senior season highlights off of YouTube to find out that guy was rare. I bet I sent that link to my brother 4 or 5 times telling him that's the guy I wanted.

paceram

Pro Bowler
All I had to do was watch his senior season highlights off of YouTube to find out that guy was rare. I bet I sent that link to my brother 4 or 5 times telling him that's the guy I wanted.

I remember being shocked that Donald was still available at the Rams #13 pick and I was going to be very, very disappointed if the Rams didn't select him! Aaron Donald is a very rare and special player and I am thrilled he is a Ram!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Totally Agree! That is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this post!

What about Tavon video the year before.His game against Oklahoma was incredible.
The difference is The Rams didn't reach for A. Donald.. I loved Tavon except I don't think he is bigger than 5'7 with cleats.
I sure Hope #99 is tubing off on painted face.Add Nick Farley & look out.Tbe Rams are really going to attack the QB.
Don't forget about the SAfeties.They are going to confuse some QB's it's open house.Joyner & Barron are only going to get better.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I remember being shocked that Donald was still available at the Rams #13 pick and I was going to be very, very disappointed if the Rams didn't select him! Aaron Donald is a very rare and special player and I am thrilled he is a Ram!!!
That. I was watching the draft with a couple of friends (Steelers, Cardinals and Ravens fans) and they all said the same thing when we took AD. Holy Crap.

FRO

Legend
I was shocked too. Then the announcers were saying it could be a landing spot for Manziel, I was a tad worried.

The Rams were on it with pick 13 though. Their backup choices were Martin and Mosley.