Scout's Tale: Scouting CB E.J. Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
And yet Joyner gets picked in the second at the same position?
Considering Gaines pretty much locked down Jeremy Maclin pretty early on in his career, I don't think the "can't cover #1 receivers" argument holds. And I'm sure there were other instances, I know he did quite well against OBJ before his injury.
obj torched our whole secondary. ?That was a good play agains Maclin but he didnt shut him down and to be fair that was more on foles. Hell he had trouble with Crabtree. He was a absolute steal but think we could use a cb. i want pj williams, Waynes, Ccollins or peters

Alan

Legend
RaminExileseeing the negatives:
Was his size. Guys are obsessed with having 6ft 2 + corners nowadays. Apparently a lot of teams didn't even scout him properly because they looked at height+weight and just ignored him.

Mojo Ram seeing clearly:
5'10" 190lbs
That's what likely turned scouts away.
The jury is still out on whether those concerns were overblown or not. At least for me it's still a major concern. Not so much because he might have troubles against larger guys (he does have some problems there) but more to the issue of whether he can he hold up injury wise as a smurf among giants. If he's still healthy three years from now I'll feel much better. The crow will taste much better too after having been left to age for a few years. :LOL:

And I still don't like his tackling although I might end up eating those words because I saw him execute some text book tackles last year. I didn't see him do that in college. Like never.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Ej is good but he isn't our best cb. I would still take Tru over Gaines and as much as Jenkins puss me off I still would take him over Ej. Don't think he can cover #1 receivers. Think Tru will bounce back. Think he wasn't completely healed

Kinda disagree, lockdn.

Frankly, Jenkins has one foot on my shit list and the other on a banana peel. He needs to earn my trust this year. Yeah, I love his athleticism and toughness. But I HATE his excessive risk taking. And I REALLY hate those cheap TD's he gives up on occasion.

I like a healthy Tru, as do you.

I would have no qualms about starting Gaines over Jenkins. None. He's steady and reliable. Much more so than Jenkins currently is. and Gaines CAN cover the other team's #1 WR, IMO. Ask Mike Evans. Lol.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
obj torched our whole secondary. ?That was a good play agains Maclin but he didnt shut him down and to be fair that was more on foles. Hell he had trouble with Crabtree. He was a absolute steal but think we could use a cb. i want pj williams, Waynes, Ccollins or peters

OBJ only started once Gaines got injured, and his big plays were on the other corners. Every time Gaines was on him, OBJ did nothing.

Gaines had a very great day against Maclin overall. He did a lot more than almost any other corner in the NFL did. Maclin was crazy good, and Gaines made him look "OK".

Crabtree was one play, that happens as a rookie. It was a bad game for everyone on the Rams that game. Not really a skill indicator. I think he's a much better CB than you're giving him credit for.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't think he ever played against OBJ or Maclin (Gaines was a true freshman when Maclin entered into the NFL). But he did lock down some very good receivers in Mike Evans, Kenny Stills, Justin Blackmon, etc.
Uh. I'm talking about in the NFL. Did you not watch the Eagles and Giants games?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Oh! I was thinking entirely about college. Damn. My bad.
Haha, yeah, I don't think they ever played in college. You bring up a nice point though, he's been doing it for a while, he's not just a one year wonder of being a great CB, he has a nice track record of being a boss.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Man oh man . We have an embarrassment of riches on Defense.

Time to take over the NFC West!!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And remember that we are talking about a guy who played every position as a rookie!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A little food for thought as we reflect on our '14 draft...

Did we get lucky on two players in particular, or what?

Donald falling to #13 and Gaines falling to the 6th round. Damn!

What are the odds against such a twofer? Astronomical, I would think.

lockdnram21

Legend
OBJ only started once Gaines got injured, and his big plays were on the other corners. Every time Gaines was on him, OBJ did nothing.

Gaines had a very great day against Maclin overall. He did a lot more than almost any other corner in the NFL did. Maclin was crazy good, and Gaines made him look "OK".

Crabtree was one play, that happens as a rookie. It was a bad game for everyone on the Rams that game. Not really a skill indicator. I think he's a much better CB than you're giving him credit for.
Hes good i just dont see a top flight cb. we need a Sherman, Revis, Hayden, Peterson type cb and i dont see one on this team

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
A little food for thought as we reflect on our '14 draft...

Did we get lucky on two players in particular, or what?

Donald falling to #13 and Gaines falling to the 6th round. Damn!

What are the odds against such a twofer? Astronomical, I would think.

Mason in the 3rd wasn't to shabby either