Scout's Tale: Scouting CB E.J. Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Scout's Tale: E.J. Gaines
By StLouisRams.com

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Scouts-Tale-EJ-Gaines/d92e212d-f290-48fa-87c5-558be70e4255

There are numerous ways NFL teams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

Evan Ardoin on the National Scouting Service and following E.J. Gaines.

The National scout role is part of a co-op system that certain teams in the league are involved in. When I filled that role, there were 20 teams. There are 20 teams that participate, and of those 20, 11 will commit a scout to working for National. When I was in that role, I was taken out of the Rams-specific operation and I went to Indianapolis to train to learn the National system.

In that role, I’m responsible for going out in the spring and advance scouting the next year’s senior talent. This year, I went to schools, looked at their entire roster and gave the rising seniors the Wonderlic test. I weighed and measured them so we have verified measurables for all of the teams. It gives a much clearer picture for the teams to create a road map for their own scouting operation. Everyone who subscribes to National has access to that information - it’s public.

There’s a generic system so it’s not tailored to a specific team. For instance, the Jets would grade defenders differently than the Rams because we run a 4-3 and they’re a 3-4 in New York. You talk about players in a very generic sense and what their overall value is. A player who may be a third-round pick for Seattle may not be that high for the Rams, just depending on the scheme fit.

It’s an interesting way to cut your teeth as a scout because it’s really the nuts and bolts of player evaluation. You go into a school without any information. All you have is a roster and a couple of coaches recommending their most talented seniors. You have to determine who the prospects are and at what level they’re prospects.

Being on the other side of it now as an area scout, you take that data and you plan your fall season based on what you see in that data. “I didn’t realize Michigan had seven prospects. I may need to make another trip there...” That’s the kind of thing you see when you read the National reports. It gives you more detail to make the best decisions for your own club.

It’s a difficult role. It’s two seasons of scouting as opposed to one-and-a-half like an area guy because you’re out by yourself in the fall. The NFS scout pairs with a scout from the other scouting service, BLESTO, to put on ‘junior pro days’ where we measure the next year’s seniors. If the coaches will allow us to measure guys, we’ll get verified 40 times on them as well. We’ll spend all day watching tape and then we’ll grade them.

Then there’s an opportunity for you to speak on all your players at a big presentation in front of all the other teams involved in your scouting service. That’s a positive experience for your scout because you get the chance to sit up there with confidence and speak about the things you’ve seen and evaluated. It’s a great tool for a young scout who is going to have to sit at his draft table and convince coaches and front office people that what he’s seeing is where they want to take this particular player.

I’m now working as an area scout, and one of the schools I’m responsible for is University of Missouri (Mizzou). E.J. Gaines was a player that I got to track during his career at the university. E.J. played well this season, and for that reason I often am asked how a guy like that falls to the sixth round. Sometimes those questions are hard to answer, and I just know the Rams are fortunate he did.

He ran a solid 40 time. He had incredible production. He was a senior who came out and played well over the course of his career. He wasn’t one of those juniors that was pushed up through the offseason process. He was just a really steady football player who did his job extremely well in the nation’s most competitive conference. For whatever reason, he was overlooked.

It’s interesting how the offseason circuit can push certain guys up and certain guys down. Everybody’s obsessed with the sexy 40 time, the length, height and all of these pretty measurables. A lot of times, you can’t measure a football player in those terms. E.J. is just a tremendous young man and a really competitive kid. I think some of those things got overlooked, especially how important he was as a player.

I think E.J. has proven what those intangibles mean to him, and he’s shown that since he’s been here. He’s mature, mentally tough and he’s focused. People underestimate just how difficult that position is to play. Some of those intangibles – mentally, emotionally, psychologically – are extremely important to a young man playing well, and E.J. has them.

All of the coaches at Mizzou loved E.J. and went to bat for him – Coach (Gary) Pinkel, defensive coordinator Dave Steckel and Cornell Ford, who was E.J.’s position coach and the St. Louis recruiting contact there. We deal with Cornell frequently and I have a great relationship with him. When those guys started beating their chest about a guy like E.J., it made me feel really good about recommending him to our club because of those strong relationships and the maturity with which E.J. handled himself at Mizzou.

He wasn’t just a leader there; he was a tone setter. He was the nerve center on their defense. The toughness, quiet confidence and swagger that he played with - those were things that defense fed off of. I feel we’re really fortunate to have him here and I’m proud of the way he’s played. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a rookie play as consistent as he has.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I literally thought that he was a third round lock. I was stunned that he fell and we got him in the sixth. Biggest steal we've ever had; he's the best starting cornerback we have right now, over such names like Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner, and Marcus Roberson, all of whom were more highly rated than Gaines was (although to be fair to Joyner, he's really more of a free safety than a corner.)

SierraRam

Recreational User
He wasn’t just a leader there; he was a tone setter.

This carried over into the NFL. Not only was he our "best starting CB," he pushed our other CB's to step their game up. JJ and Tru found out right away they could either wake up or grab pine. Love Gaines - my new favorite Ram. - GRob, AD, Tre, EJ - what a draft!

jjab360

Legend
E.J in the sixth was one of the biggest steals of the draft, and the funny part is that anyone could've seen it coming a mile away. Really productive at Mizzou, almost ideal measurables, everything else checks out. Not sure how the other 31 teams talked themselves out of drafting this kid or maybe they actually did forget about him, but I'm grateful either way.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
He shut Mike Evans down so completely in Mizzou's game with A&M that I thought that Evans was overrated! Turns out that Gaines and Evans are both the real deal and Johnny BS is the one that was overrated.
Gaines will just get better with time because he will always work on his trade.

FRO

Legend
This was fun to read. The other scout told us about food.

When watching EJ play I thought he was a solid second rounder. I couldn't believe we were able to draft him in the sixth. I couldn't believe he was still there to be had. It was my second biggest celebration in the draft with Donald being the biggest.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Keep finding those gems Snisher and Co. let's put together one more beautiful draft and be super bowl bound baby!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This was fun to read. The other scout told us about food.

When watching EJ play I thought he was a solid second rounder. I couldn't believe we were able to draft him in the sixth. I couldn't believe he was still there to be had. It was my second biggest celebration in the draft with Donald being the biggest.

To be honest, the Donald pick bewildered me and the Gaines pick seemed hopeful but unimportant. I've been looking for Tom Mack and Adam Timmerman in the draft and FA for years. Heck, I really wanted us to draft Hutchison, DeCastro, Cooper, and pick up Sheilds in FA.

I'm glad Snisher & Co are smarter than I am. As an old Ram fan, I still pine for the dominant OLine. I tentatively trust they plan to git r done.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
First of all I love these Scouts Tale articles. It really seems to give you and inside look at the scouting process, thanks for posting them

Secondly, I realize that I'm a Mizzou grad and a Mizzou homer, but I was honestly shocked he fell to the 6th round. Watching him play, I thought he was a second to third round pick for sure. He played extremely well and always blanketed his guys (including Mike Evans), but he just didn't have the "great numbers". This guy will go down as a tremendous 6th round steal. He reminds me of London Fletcher in that he didn't have great numbers, but he was a tremendous football player.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe after having E. J. Gaines on the team they will reevaluate their criteria for drafting players, or at least corners. Snead is always all about athleticism first and foremost. Yet their first, free agent signing was Courtland Finnegan, who was a seventh rounder because he didn't measure up.

I wish Snead valued character, leadership, intelligence and football instincts more.

lockdnram21

Legend
Ej is good but he isn't our best cb. I would still take Tru over Gaines and as much as Jenkins puss me off I still would take him over Ej. Don't think he can cover #1 receivers. Think Tru will bounce back. Think he wasn't completely healed

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Few people were beating the "DRAFT EJ GAINES" drum louder than I was.

When he dropped I thought I must have been wrong...
...but I've never been more right about a rookie.

Even a blind dog finds a bone every once in a while.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gaines was an insane addition. Finding these kind of players is like getting an extra 2nd round pick.

Keep it up Snead.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A bunch of guys from the Lou were clamoring for this guy, I humbly bow in your direction....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
E.J in the sixth was one of the biggest steals of the draft, and the funny part is that anyone could've seen it coming a mile away. Really productive at Mizzou, almost ideal measurables, everything else checks out. Not sure how the other 31 teams talked themselves out of drafting this kid or maybe they actually did forget about him, but I'm grateful either way.

Was his size. Guys are obsessed with having 6ft 2 + corners nowadays. Apparently a lot of teams didn't even scout him properly because they looked at height+weight and just ignored him. Their loss!

I think this would become the day I disown my mother if she pulls that crap. And then I would go out and spoil the rest of my family just to pee pee her off. This sickens me. I can understand asking for help if times are hard. But demanding a million dollars?? Give me a break.

Janoris Jenkins is extremely underrated on this board. You wont see a number 1 cornerback in the league that doesn't get burned on occasion. It comes with the job. I get people don't like his attitude (he gets beat and looks like it's cause he was too stupid to do anything and doesn't really care - im sure he does!) but he can lock down really good no#1 recievers like Dez Bryant in this league.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
5'10" 190lbs
That's what likely turned scouts away. Proof that there's much more to transitioning to the NFL then things like measurables, stopwatches and yardsticks. He did run a respectable 40 yd dash in workouts, but my point remains.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And yet Joyner gets picked in the second at the same position?

Memento

Name
Jemma
And yet Joyner gets picked in the second at the same position?

And yet Joyner is still only twenty-three and is probably a better free safety than a nickel cornerback, in the mold of the Honey Badger with a brain.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Ej is good but he isn't our best cb. I would still take Tru over Gaines and as much as Jenkins puss me off I still would take him over Ej. Don't think he can cover #1 receivers. Think Tru will bounce back. Think he wasn't completely healed

Considering Gaines pretty much locked down Jeremy Maclin pretty early on in his career, I don't think the "can't cover #1 receivers" argument holds. And I'm sure there were other instances, I know he did quite well against OBJ before his injury.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Considering Gaines pretty much locked down Jeremy Maclin pretty early on in his career, I don't think the "can't cover #1 receivers" argument holds. And I'm sure there were other instances, I know he did quite well against OBJ before his injury.

I don't think he ever played against OBJ or Maclin (Gaines was a true freshman when Maclin entered into the NFL). But he did lock down some very good receivers in Mike Evans, Kenny Stills, Justin Blackmon, etc.