Scouting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I start to wonder about the overall process in how the eventual roster is developed. The scouts are those guys who are supposed to pour through miles of prospective player's game film, watch games, and talk to various individuals about the prospects. So I wonder if these guys are not doing their due diligence and end of providing inaccurate reports to the coaches. It seems more times than not we can't "catch lightning" with our drafted players, while quite a few undrafted players end up on either the practice squad or 53-man roster. So, are we poor at evaluating talent? Your thoughts.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I start to wonder about the overall process in how the eventual roster is developed. The scouts are those guys who are supposed to pour through miles of prospective player's game film, watch games, and talk to various individuals about the prospects. So I wonder if these guys are not doing their due diligence and end of providing inaccurate reports to the coaches. It seems more times than not we can't "catch lightning" with our drafted players, while quite a few undrafted players end up on either the practice squad or 53-man roster. So, are we poor at evaluating talent? Your thoughts.

For the most part I think the Rams have drafted the right guys. I'm just not sure they are being coached up like they should be, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The contribution of this draft class makes you wonder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The contribution of this draft class makes you wonder.

Pretty much impossible to measure the contributions of this draft class at this point. Fisher refuses to play our #1 overall pick. All the other guys were Day 3 picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For the most part I think the Rams have drafted the right guys. I'm just not sure they are being coached up like they should be, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

The irony here is that this particular season the coaching has been solid on offense. Scheme is being put together that gives the offensive players OPPORTUNITY all over the joint. Every single game dudes have been open for big plays. For the first time in Fisher's run with this team I can say I'm actually OK with the offensive coaching this year.

But players matter too. Coaches can only do so much, and what we're seeing is the truth of that. Case is a backup level QB in this league and that means he's not going to thread the ball and make wow plays like a starter talent will. Less room for error, and it is made worse by mental lapses on too many of the wideouts.

Look at the defense... Williams will sit a dude quickly if he's not doing what he needs to. But offensively guys keep getting excuses and more playing time, and it's part of the reason IMO that Quick took so long to get it. Hold them accountable with bench time. Bench Robinson in-game if he's playing poorly, and let him feel that. They have the depth to move Saffold over and insert another OG. Bench Britt for a series if he's not running all out on routes he is a third read on. The team has other guys they can put in there.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The irony here is that this particular season the coaching has been solid on offense. Scheme is being put together that gives the offensive players OPPORTUNITY all over the joint. Every single game dudes have been open for big plays. For the first time in Fisher's run with this team I can say I'm actually OK with the offensive coaching this year.

But players matter too. Coaches can only do so much, and what we're seeing is the truth of that. Case is a backup level QB in this league and that means he's not going to thread the ball and make wow plays like a starter talent will. Less room for error, and it is made worse by mental lapses on too many of the wideouts.

Look at the defense... Williams will sit a dude quickly if he's not doing what he needs to. But offensively guys keep getting excuses and more playing time, and it's part of the reason IMO that Quick took so long to get it. Hold them accountable with bench time. Bench Robinson in-game if he's playing poorly, and let him feel that. They have the depth to move Saffold over and insert another OG. Bench Britt for a series if he's not running all out on routes he is a third read on. The team has other guys they can put in there.

To be fair, I do like what I'm seeing of the WR's this year, and it really looks like the Groh hire is panning out big time. I'm not sure what the hell is going on in the running game though, as I would think the fact that we have started to have some success through the air would have opened things up more. That being said, Gurley hasn't gotten enough carries in the last few games.

Where I really have sympathy for Boras is in playcalling in the passing game, because he is limited there directly because of Keenum's limitations. And I believe that goes back to Fisher, because wherever he's been, he's always been very slow and overly cautious with rookie QBs, and I definitely believe that's the case now (pardon the unintentional pun).