Scouting the Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Re: Scouting the Texans

As far as St penaltys kinda hard to limit when refs seem bent on handing them to us

fearsomefour

Legend
Re: Scouting the Texans

rams24/7 said:
iced said:
fearsomefour said:
Couple of things;

I think the Rams have to stick to the run and run right at Watt vs. Houston. If you want to help nuetralize a player who uses speed and energy to make plays get physical with him. He may split a double team and make some good plays vs. the run but the benefit of making him fight a lot of double teams will show up in the second half and help the Rams deal with the passrush, at least in theory.
With a QB that is struggling with turnovers as much as Schuab is I would expect a major dose of Foster. The Rams absolutly have to content at the line of scrimmage if they are to have a shot vs. Houston. I believe they can but they will have to maintain it all day long. Brockers and Langford may be the key to this game.

Actually I disagree - I think Quinn and Long are more important this week in the run game then the DT's. Not saying they're not critical, it's just that the Texans are known for that stretch play, which puts a lot of pressure on the De's...and I don't think I need to elaborate on how Quinn has been at holding his gap

Agreed Iced. The stretch plays they love to run in Houston will demand great discipline by Quinn and Long on the edges, as well as the CBs. More importantly Foster and Taint love to look for the cutback once they get the defense flowing one way, so Quinn and Long need to stay home. Quinn has made great strides in his run D this year, but still needs to work on consistency. Our defenders also need to wrap up ballcarriers instead of throwing their body at them or going for the strip. Foster & Taint will make you pay if you don't tackle, and so in Andre.

Make no mistake though, this game will be won in the trenches. The 2 games we've won, we've kept Sam relatively clean, the 3 losses...not so much. The blowout losses (DAL & SF), their OL blew us off the LOS consistently in the run game. It's hard to limit a run game, when the ballcarrier get first contact at 5 yards. Pass rush needs to force Schaub into more mistakes. I'd rather see the defenders being a little over aggresive, then waiting for the turnover. Force the issue.

Can't have ST penalties. They affect field position way too much. It's hard to consistently drive 80-90 yards. Shortening the field is something good teams find a way to do.

And I agree as well. I stand corrected regarding our DEs. Forgot the Texans run that stretch a bunch. Would like to see more Sims this game if that is the case. The good news is out speed at OLB should help contain those stretch plays. Ogletree really shines when he can attack a play laterally.
The Texans have not been running the ball well which is interesting given their talent at RB....their Oline has been struggling. Hopefully, we will have one of those days were our passrush and uncork it and reak havoc. The key is staying close early. Looking for Cook to have a big day vs. an over agressive Texans D.