Scott Wells out for the remainder of the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Saffold will be the biggest immediate problem no doubt. He has shown the ability to move all over the line and even with his health issues may draw a lot of interest. I wonder how much he has liked playing guard and will he resign with the Rams to stay there?? I guess they could always tag him and force him to stay but if we are going to keep him it would be nice to pay him, have him happy and healthy and playing RG.

I don't know if Matthews is the right move with the WAS pick but they certainly should consider it an option. I know there are a lot of proponents of the trade down scenario but I have always thought they should build from the lines out. Getting a young stud to continue the rebuild of the OL would be my preference this year.

Long
Barksdale
Barnes
Saffold
Matthews

Jones
Smith
Persons
Washington

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Harvey is a Boudreau favorite! I like Harvey a bunch too...But cap Lincoln pennies..the Lincoln eyeballs do get squeezed out @ times. I would sit down with Harvey and have two options on the table. One would be his release paperwork the other would be a new 2 yr contract for 2014/2015 that would make him a Ram Ol'er until he is 35 yrs old. This new contact is one tendered 2 mil a yr for 2 yrs. Dahl could earn to be the starter or the first back up to both ORT & ORG. No guarantees. This would help the Rams out some @ a vet reserve behind Barksdale. Savings of 2 mil on 2014 cap ...plus you treat Harvey to an extra yr of work. If he walks oh-well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's really good to hear that Shelly has put on some weight and muscle (I hope) because what I really disliked about his play in the past was that we has been extremely susceptible to the bull rush. Even from lesser DTs. If that aspect of his game has improved dramatically then I might modify my position on him. Maybe. I still see him as merely a good LG/RG backup. Very valuable to have but he shouldn't be starting IMO. Do you see him as starter quality or merely superior to CW?I'd really like to see us keep Saffold at RG next year and just replace Wells and Shelly as starters. But as you're prophisizing, it's very possible we won't be able to afford Saffold. That won't be good IMO.

Alan ....my fellow ole friend.... Shelley Smith will never be the monster that Saffold is currently at moving out massive DT's off the line. Shelley is much more technician than mauler. SS is also less mistake prone that CW by a far margin. Until the Rams draft some better talented OL'ers SS is the best we have of all reserve currently.

I also think that rookie OL'er Barrett Jones will turn out much closer than many think to offering up the versatility that Saffold has offered this season but more in the interior OL posts maybe ORT in an emergency. Fisher had this to say yesterday on the barrett Jones progression...

“Barrett has done a real good job in the weight room, and he’s gained a lot of strength. So, he’ll be ready to go. Obviously, he’ll know what to do and how to do it, he just hasn’t had an opportunity.”

fearsomefour

Legend
fearsomefour ...Snead & Fisher do have some options not all bad if the current OL looses due to UFA ....Saffold the starting OT & OG for four seasons & Starting OG for two season Chris Williams are big HOLES to fill. The OLG post can be filled buy Ram young vets OL'ers like Shelley Smith who has played in 22 Ram games & started 7 games, or Tim Barnes who has played in 27 Rams games & now is our starting OC...so both of these Ol'ers can fill the loss of CW @ OLG. Other Ram OL'ers Barrett Jones, Mike Persons & Brandon Washington would back fill in behind Smith & Barnes. The bonified real concern is @ OT! Rams do not have a legit replacement for Saffold. It would be smart to also discuss the fact that Joe Barksdale is a UFA after the 2014. When you include that element you see why I continue to be @ odds with ROD'mers who see no great OT needs as we sit here with a traditional pocket passer QB, who has been hurt for most of 3yrs of his last 5 yrs. Outstanding Protection is critical for Bradford. A OL that can run the ball as well pass protect all goes into this Sam protection element.

Its clear to me this team should be highly concentrated in on the OT prospects in this upcoming 2014 draft not OG's. Rams Org. must look forward for real possibility of the loss of both current Ram OT's ...Saffold in 2014 & Barksdale 2015 to the open lucrative $$ UFA market. This draft has the looks that it will have to immediately fill the massive shoes of a Saffold & then also be grooming the replacement for Barksdale.

F. Mulder thinks we will have 3 vacant starting Ol posts? Guess the release of ORG Harvey provides 4 mil and the release of OC Scott provides 4.5 cap savings...8.5 mil & the hole from CW @ OLG must be the 3rd vacancy. That's would mean the Ram entire interior OL. Gues the OL would like :

OLT- J.Long........ 29-8.... 6-7/320
OLG- S.Smith...... 27-4.... 6-4/310
OC- T.Barnes .....26-4.... 6-4/309
ORG- B.Jones .......24-2... 6-5/308
ORT- J.Barksdale. 26-4... 6-4/325

Leaving Mike Persons & Brandon Washington as reserves

The Rams have some options on the inside and not many on the outside. I would like to see the Rams draft at least one T and probably two. I would love for Saffold to stay but I just dont see how, I think someone is going to overpay him to play LT. If the Rams are truely sold on Barksdale it might be wise to give him a raise and a couple of years THIS offseason instead of waiting for him to hit the market next offseason.
What I was saying about drafting a G was not meant that would be the priority. Smith and Barnes can play and I dont see Wells going anywhere. Jones is still a question mark.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam talking my language:
Shelley Smith will never be the monster that Saffold is currently at moving out massive DT's off the line. Shelley is much more technician than mauler. SS is also less mistake prone that CW by a far margin. Until the Rams draft some better talented OL'ers SS is the best we have of all reserve currently.

I also think that rookie OL'er Barrett Jones will turn out much closer than many think to offering up the versatility that Saffold has offered this season but more in the interior OL posts maybe ORT in an emergency. Fisher had this to say yesterday on the barrett Jones progression...

“Barrett has done a real good job in the weight room, and he’s gained a lot of strength. So, he’ll be ready to go. Obviously, he’ll know what to do and how to do it, he just hasn’t had an opportunity.”

Good to be discussing the O-line with you again Bonifay! :D Although I wish we disagreed about more things.:disappoint:

Jones is the wild card in my mind. I almost wish we had an injury to someone that would force us to play him this year. I'd really like to see him in action in a game. Either at guard or center. It would certainly help to clear up some of the uncertainty in my mind. Did he play RL or LG in college?