Scoring more points or running the clock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I bet his agent crapped his pants tho:D

It was absolutely the right thing to do, almost refreshing to see, a selfless act.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When is it ok to go ahead and score the TD or not score?
When your score makes it a 2 score lead, >8, I'd say that's when you have to try and score...I've seen turnovers on the victory formation too....Would he have run in, maybe...Would it have been the right move, probably....It just looked better to stay in bounds. Shows his head is in the game....Plus the extra point attempt is 30+ yards now.
I wish he woulda ran that puppy in....I also wanted to shut the birds out....fuck Bruce Arians!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When your score makes it a 2 score lead, >8, I'd say that's when you have to try and score...I've seen turnovers on the victory formation too....Would he have run in, maybe...Would it have been the right move, probably....It just looked better to stay in bounds. Shows his head is in the game....Plus the extra point attempt is 30+ yards now.
I wish he woulda ran that puppy in....I also wanted to shut the birds out....freak Bruce Arians!

It looks like we all agree that Gurley's move in that situation was the right thing to do but this /\ is what I was really looking for. When is it ok to go ahead and go for the score. I don't think the defense was close to stopping him, they were beaten until he slowed down and let them catch up.

With Arian's smug ass looking on do you want to pile on? In SF after so many years (17 straight losses at one point)? Just to stomp on the throat of the 12s in Seattle?

Or is it just more satisfying to say yeah I could have but I'd rather see you hang your heads and squirm.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It looks like we all agree that Gurley's move in that situation was the right thing to do but this /\ is what I was really looking for. When is it ok to go ahead and go for the score. I don't think the defense was close to stopping him, they were beaten until he slowed down and let them catch up.

With Arian's smug ass looking on do you want to pile on? In SF after so many years (17 straight losses at one point)? Just to stomp on the throat of the 12s in Seattle?

Or is it just more satisfying to say yeah I could have but I'd rather see you hang your heads and squirm.
LOL, watching Fisher walk out to shake that cry baby's hand with a professional smile on his face, forcing Arians to return with a "well okay you earned it" look was worth more to me than any drama that may have ensued from a higher score.

It was a calm, I know what I did to you, and I'm looking forward to doing it again statement. Now, if they really run up the score on them in St. Louis, I'll call that perfect.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

IMO, as many have mentioned, the possibility of the extra point being blocked and returned for 2 would have made it a 6 pt. game. While highly remote, the possibility of an on-sides kick, hail mary, extra point would exist. Thus, this is absolutely the right choice. If the TD by itself would have made a two score difference, regardless of extra point outcome, then you take it to the house.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wish he woulda ran that puppy in....I also wanted to shut the birds out....freak Bruce Arians!

Really? When?

I've seen crazy endings, but I don't think I've ever seen a victory formation turnover - at least not that I can recall.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
TD would of been great but icing the game on our hated rivals is so much sweeter.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? When?

I've seen crazy endings, but I don't think I've ever seen a victory formation turnover - at least not that I can recall.
Really? When?

The thing is, with running down the clock, and with the players behind the QB ready to pounce, even if a turnover occurred (exceptionally unlikely) They would have had less than 10 seconds after that play to go 90 yards, with no timeouts. Realistically, no chance, even if a freakin' miracle occurred and there was a turnover.

Scoring the TD would have meant the Cards would have had a minute to play with, not just a few seconds, which is part of the advantage for the Rams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really? When?

think you are correct....maybe not the victory formation....maybe just handing it off....I once coached a nose guard that could cause fumbled snaps....