Scoring Defense Update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So as always one of the biggest metrics of a season in terms of predicting legitimate contenders is scoring defense. Those teams that give up more than 19ppg generally aren't "for real" and those who buck that trend are extremely high powered offenses. Last season's example of this was the Falcons, who eventually did have their smoke and mirror defense get exposed in the big dance.

The Rams' defensive play since the second half of the Dallas game has been among the best in the league. And as a result what was a terrible scoring defense is now a respectable 19.4 ppg. Whether this continues, and to what extent they can drop that metric, is going to be very important for not only their win/loss record the rest of the way through a tougher schedule, but also important for predicting how they'll fare in their first playoff appearance for most of the players on their roster.

Here's how the top ten looks right now. And yes I realize offense matters too, and has to be taken into account in using points against to predict contenders, it's just that defense is absolutely crucial come the playoffs IMO. Also of note is that being sub-15ppg tends to be a great indicator of going deep in the playoffs.:

1. Jax 14.6ppg (8th scoring 25.8ppg)
2. Pittsburgh 16.4ppg (20th scoring 20.9ppg)
3. Minnesota 16.9ppg (13th scoring 22.4ppg)
4. Carolina 17.7ppg (24th scoring 18.7ppg)
5. Sheattle 18.3ppg (10th scoring 23.4ppg)
6. Buffalo 18.6ppg (16th scoring 21.8ppg)
7. Baltimore 19ppg (19th scoring 21.1ppg)
7. LAC 19ppg (22nd scoring 18.8ppg)
9. LAR 19.4ppg (1st scoring 32.9ppg)
9. New Orleans 19.4ppg (6th scoring 27.6ppg)

Now it's still real early with a lot of football to be played not to mention matchups between the teams who are positioned right now as playoff contenders, but still the above shows us some things. Some notes:

Right now the overall balance for some teams shows their flaws, and if that continues the Steelers, Panthers, Bills, Ravens, and Clippers er Chargers will most likely be eliminated in the playoffs. Vikes and Shehawks are a bit low in their offensive potency being under 25ppg so IMO if things continue they'll be a notch below teams like the Eagles, Saints, and Rams in the NFC.

Philly comes in at 19.9ppg fwiw, so like the Rams they're a team that is near where you want to be but also comes with explosive offense. Both are legitimate contenders.

Matchups matter too of course. So again this is very general but I tend to look at this stuff around midseason since we're reaching that point where there's enough of a trend to see what's coming. And again for the Rams this is why those three games vs the Eagles, Vikes, and Shehawks loom so large.

I expect the Rams' scoring offense to dip a bit over the remaining sched. That said, I also expect their scoring defense to continue to drop. I don't think this is an elite defense. So they're not going to finish in that 15ppg range or lower. But I do think a sound 17ppg defense is where they end up.

Not going to go into trends we might be seeing around the league, like with Sherman's loss in Seattle for example. But no matter how you slice it the Rams are sitting very, very nice right now and trending very much in the direction of a true contender.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
9. New Orleans 19.4ppg (6th scoring 27.6ppg)

Nice job and a good read Merlin.

I don't have any idea how the Saints are doing this, but they are an unknown this year after having 3 straight 7-9 seasons. 6-2 at the halfway point, but they haven't beaten a team with a winning record other than Carolina and in that game Cam Newton handed them the win. Are they that same 7-9 bullshit but just on a run or are they for real?

It's hard to say yet, but Brees is very possibly going to lead the NFL in passing yards for the 4th straight year. That guy is amazing. His last decade has been astonishing. It might be the best ten year stretch by a QB in the history of the league. He's one of 5 QB's to throw for over 5,000 yards in a season. It's happened 9 times in NFL history. He's done it 5 of those times! The others did it just once. Brady and Manning and Rodgers get all the media attention because their teams won but what Brees has done if just fantastic.

Ram65

Legend
Very nice writeup @Merlin.

Philly comes in at 19.9ppg fwiw, so like the Rams they're a team that is near where you want to be but also comes with explosive offense. Both are legitimate contenders.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=eagles+schedule+2017&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I would have thought the Eagles defense would be higher rated meaning less points allowed. The Rams haven't been letting up garbage TDs when they have a big lead. That helps their average. The Whiner game (39 Points) really hurt their average. The Eagles let up 21 points to the Giants in the 4th quarter. They let up 23 to Denver put that game was well in hand. Generally speaking it it does give an idea of where teams are as far as balance.

Now it's still real early with a lot of football to be played not to mention matchups between the teams who are positioned right now as playoff contenders, but still the above shows us some things. Some notes:

Right now the overall balance for some teams shows their flaws, and if that continues the Steelers, Panthers, Bills, Ravens, and Clippers er Chargers will most likely be eliminated in the playoffs. Vikes and Shehawks are a bit low in their offensive potency being under 25ppg so IMO if things continue they'll be a notch below teams like the Eagles, Saints, and Rams in the NFC.

Interesting. Outside of the Steelers I would agree. Steelers offense can get hot. Still have to see how these games with the leaders play out. Teams also that start peaking just before the playoffs can ride a deep run.

I wonder if some number person could do a formula taking total difference and garbage points to come up with an adjusted points allowed total.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice job and a good read Merlin.

I don't have any idea how the Saints are doing this, but they are an unknown this year after having 3 straight 7-9 seasons. 6-2 at the halfway point, but they haven't beaten a team with a winning record other than Carolina and in that game Cam Newton handed them the win. Are they that same 7-9 bullcrap but just on a run or are they for real?

It's hard to say yet, but Brees is very possibly going to lead the NFL in passing yards for the 4th straight year. That guy is amazing. His last decade has been astonishing. It might be the best ten year stretch by a QB in the history of the league. He's one of 5 QB's to throw for over 5,000 yards in a season. It's happened 9 times in NFL history. He's done it 5 of those times! The others did it just once. Brady and Manning and Rodgers get all the media attention because their teams won but what Brees has done if just fantastic.
After the Houston game, our next two Home games are against the Saints and the Eagles. And they are the Only two games that have me worried at this point!
I really think we have a shot at "Winning-Out" the rest of the Season!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After the Houston game, our next two Home games are against the Saints and the Eagles. And they are the Only two games that have me worried at this point!
I really think we have a shot at "Winning-Out" the rest of the Season!!

The Vikings are for real, that's a road game too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pretty sure Dave thinks this is still Case Keenum.....

and I woulda agreed

But Case is looking like the guy we grabbed from the Texans...not the guy Boras turned him into.

Coaching matters.....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Pretty sure Dave thinks this is still Case Keenum.....

and I woulda agreed

But Case is looking like the guy we grabbed from the Texans...not the guy Boras turned him into.

Coaching matters.....

He's completing passes to the guys who make the plays and he isn't turning the ball over. He's had a couple of meh games but overall he is contributing to winning.

IMO Bradford under center last year was the Vikings problem.

JMHO, But The Rams Know Case Keenum, An d I don't think the Vikes "D" is quite as good as everyone seems to think they are! JMO!

The Vikings defense has been for real for a couple of seasons now. With Bridgewater in his second year the offense was average and the team was 11-5.

It'll be a test for both Goff and McVay. I trust they will be prepared, McVay isn't the type to not "be ready". But it's not going to be a walk in the park. Goff has struggled against top defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have any idea how the Saints are doing this, but they are an unknown this year after having 3 straight 7-9 seasons. 6-2 at the halfway point, but they haven't beaten a team with a winning record other than Carolina and in that game Cam Newton handed them the win. Are they that same 7-9 bullcrap but just on a run or are they for real?

I think the Saints are legit. Key of course is half the sched to go, but for right now their metrics look quite good. Their defense probably isn't as good as ours, and our offense is probably going to score more points this season, but the advantage they have is veteran leadership from Brees on the field to include a Super Bowl win. They're a dangerous team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the Saints are legit. Key of course is half the sched to go, but for right now their metrics look quite good. Their defense probably isn't as good as ours, and our offense is probably going to score more points this season, but the advantage they have is veteran leadership from Brees on the field to include a Super Bowl win. They're a dangerous team.

We'll see how the rest of the year unfolds. If they have 11-12 wins then yeah they are dangerous with Brees because he just doesn't seem to make mistakes and in the playoffs that kind of thing is magnified.

I hope you do this breakdown again at the 3/4 mark and at the end of the year. It's excellent for discussion.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's completing passes to the guys who make the plays and he isn't turning the ball over. He's had a couple of meh games but overall he is contributing to winning.

IMO Bradford under center last year was the Vikings problem.

The Vikings defense has been for real for a couple of seasons now. With Bridgewater in his second year the offense was average and the team was 11-5.

It'll be a test for both Goff and McVay. I trust they will be prepared, McVay isn't the type to not "be ready". But it's not going to be a walk in the park. Goff has struggled against top defenses.
I'm not saying it will be easy, But!!! If the Rams put up 27 points on the Vikes, WE WILL WIN!! And we have only gone below 27 once this year! But that's nothing you didn't already know!(y);):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Vikings are for real, that's a road game too.

One thing that Zimmer does is challenge the F out of the interior gaps of the OL. In seasons past that is the kind of thing that would give our offense fits and probably ensure we lose, but this year's OL has gotten so much better every week I'm not sure it's gonna go down that way. Would not surprise me if Goff gets a lot of time once the Rams settle down in that hostile environment.

They're definitely for real, don't get me wrong. But I wonder what will happen IF they don't get those interior pressures that make his defenses so good. Either way it should be a damn dog fight of course.

Another interesting thing with the schedule is the Skins play them right before us. Gotta think some serious intel is flowing between Gruden and McVay and will continue to into next week.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One thing that Zimmer does is challenge the F out of the interior gaps of the OL. In seasons past that is the kind of thing that would give our offense fits and probably ensure we lose, but this year's OL has gotten so much better every week I'm not sure it's gonna go down that way. Would not surprise me if Goff gets a lot of time once the Rams settle down in that hostile environment.

They're definitely for real, don't get me wrong. But I wonder what will happen IF they don't get those interior pressures that make his defenses so good. Either way it should be a damn dog fight of course.

Another interesting thing with the schedule is the Skins play them right before us. Gotta think some serious intel is flowing between Gruden and McVay and will continue to into next week.

I bet you are right about intel flowing between those two..........

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nice write up @Merlin It was a good read.

The defense is trending better as the season goes on. They need to continue that trend and do a better job early of taking away the running game.

It’s been a fun season so far for sure. Let’s hope we can keep progressing because I don’t see really any better team out there if we do.