Schotty needs to be fired after this year.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Yes, it has been a success. If not for every big return he had being negated, Austin would have a pretty nice PR average, a TD and a decent amount of long returns.

And let us not forget that he was a few inches(out of bounds) from breaking that one for another TD last Sunday.

Don't misunderstand me I think he is going to light it up eventually, but for every return that has been promising I can show you five where he has looked tentative and indecisive.

I think defence is much more worrying than offence, we're young on O, lacking our QB and it took us some time to find an identity after losing our three most productive offensive guys. Our D should have all the pieces in place we have experience in each area and we're 22nd against the run, 28th against the pass and 20th in scoring.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So two decent games makes up for all the crap we've seen prior with regards to coaching? And the past two haven't been perfect either. In not even really talking about Schotty here, although he's had some plays that had me wondering in the past two. I know the Rams can do no wrong in your eyes but I'm not the only one noticing the poor coaching and bringing it up.

Just saying "poor coaching" doesn't cut it in my book. So many other variables than to put a blanket statement like that.

Yeah we can bitch and moan about every play that doesn't work, every 3 and out but hey that sort of shit happens in this ugly game.

Define what exactly you mean by "poor coaching" and we'll go from there.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My counter to this post is: Our WR's need to catch passes, we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, someone needs to block consistently. I don't care if Jesus Shuttlesworth was calling our plays, there can't be success without execution
But how do you explain the inability to find ways to get Tavon open in space? Are you saying that it's the sole fault of player execution?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think defence is much more worrying than offence, we're young on O, lacking our QB and it took us some time to find an identity after losing our three most productive offensive guys. Our D should have all the pieces in place we have experience in each area and we're 22nd against the run, 28th against the pass and 20th in scoring.

Were are the youngest team in the league...comfortably our average age is something like 25 yrs...so to give our O the excuse of being young and not applying the same to our D is unfair.

I think the let down from our D came from our expectations being too high. Admittedly, i too was expecting way to much but, hindsight being 20/20 Janoris jenkins however remarkably talented he might be is a 2nd year player. We lost Cort meaning our other starting Corner Trumaine Johnson also a second year player. Our safeties to start the season 1 rookie, and one first year (playing) undrafted free agent. our starting outside linebacker Alec ogletree also a rookie

so maybe its just me clinging onto my inner homer, but i think we can give the D a pass for being inconsistent

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But how do you explain the inability to find ways to get Tavon open in space? Are you saying that it's the sole fault of player execution?

To be honest, if you were expecting AJ green julio jones first year dominance that was unfair. Now obviously their play styles are different I'm referring to that level of rookie production.

So outside of that expectation, Tavon has had success. he's made numerous big plays called back because of errors by teammates. In addition to the negated big plays, i know people say stop throwing him the ball short etc etc but look at the monday night seattle game. I specifically remember us calling a screen where we had Tavon with 1 teammate (givens) and 1 defender in front of him, Givens (like usual) gives no effort on the block and Tavon is hit immediately. Obviously this is only 1 play but if you look at film throughout the year that is a common theme. Shotty, to my surprise has actually called decent plays for him. As a coordinator all you can do is put your guys in position to have an advantage, after that everything else is out of his control, and IMO he's done that. there are an unacceptable amount of plays where we gave tavon the advantage i.e fake screen to 1 side, actual screen to other side, 3 blockers out in front to the other teams 2 defenders and we simply whiff blocking or tavon cuts wrong etc..

So take the success Tavon has already had....add another what, 2 or 3 tds called back? than if we block on even half of the types of plays I'm referring to you have to figure he'd have significantly more yardage if not a few tds....

But to more specifically answer your question, no I'm not solely blaming it on player execution. Sure Schotty has had some bad calls. Just as peyton manning has had bad throws, or bellicheck has had bad calls as well. No one is perfect, but i can't support firing him after seeing our players be consistently inconsistent.

fancents86

Starter
I'm undecided on what should be done with the OC position, but if anything, I think Bradford should be the one to decide is Schotty should go or stay. If he would rather try another OC than work with Schotty than that says alot. If he believes in him, then I trust Bradfords decision.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Why do you think that? I don't see any reason why Bradford wouldn't be with the Rams next season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not a chance the Rams are going to take a QB in the top two rounds with other much more pressing needs. The team is pretty committed to Sam, they want to lock him up long term, he's the one who wanted to delay it because he doesn't feel he's playing as well as he should be to maximize his value. Given that Sam was on pace for career bests this season with an even younger offense around him, I think that there's no reason, talent wise, that the Rams would want to replace him, and then essentially move back several squares so they can develop a young QB when they haven't finished with the development of another.

So unless Sam had some freaky medical issue, he'll be starting for the Rams next season. I don't foresee any reason why Bradford wont be healthy next year either, he had a clean tear, just the ACL, and has a very long time to recover and rehab. He'll be fine.

As for Fisher going to USC, that rumor was essentially debunked a while ago. Fisher has no interest in taking a demotion, and why should he?

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

Agree to a point -- our D has definitely been my most disappointing aspect this season -- thought we had turned the corner v Seahawks but alas we hadn't -- hard to tell where we are at with Offence as it has so many holes -- it appears our O-line has improved re: protection .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My counter to this post is: Our WR's need to catch passes, we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, someone needs to block consistently. I don't care if Jesus Shuttlesworth was calling our plays, there can't be success without execution

I think we'd be seeing more pick and rolls if Jesus Shuttlesworth was calling the plays. :wink:

Don't misunderstand me I think he is going to light it up eventually, but for every return that has been promising I can show you five where he has looked tentative and indecisive.

That's his style. He catches the punt and then tries to allow the blocks to setup. It's not tentative or indecisive because as soon as he goes, he goes. It's like Stacy slowing up to allow the OL to open up a seam.

If you have time to let blocks develop, it's not a bad thing to do. Although, sometimes, it does hurt us because the blocks don't develop and he could have gotten more yardage if he just cut upfield. Live and die by the sword.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we'd be seeing more pick and rolls if Jesus Shuttlesworth was calling the plays. :wink:

Alright be honest...did you know who that was immediately or did you google?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's his style. He catches the punt and then tries to allow the blocks to setup. It's not tentative or indecisive because as soon as he goes, he goes. It's like Stacy slowing up to allow the OL to open up a seam.

If you have time to let blocks develop, it's not a bad thing to do. Although, sometimes, it does hurt us because the blocks don't develop and he could have gotten more yardage if he just cut upfield. Live and die by the sword.
When he has the field to do it, he'll even run in one direction to draw gunners into blocks and then shift directions.

I remember seeing him do that on one of his best returns (called back on a penalty of course).

They want him to use his vision and speed like that, it's his strength. But I understand what you're saying, and I guess with experience he'll be able to more quickly evaluate when he's better off running straight up field.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As the year has gone on the O has gelled and become pretty nicely productive. This tells me that it's been the players holding back the scheme because they don't know it inside out yet and haven't had enough time to execute it. Meaning they weren't smart enough to get up to speed on it as fast as we would have liked.

Which time fixes.......and we've seen that happen in front of our eyes. So he gets the rest of this year as an audition and if they play decent ball with a so so back up I'm all in.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As the year has gone on the O has gelled and become pretty nicely productive. This tells me that it's been the players holding back the scheme because they don't know it inside out yet and haven't had enough time to execute it. Meaning they weren't smart enough to get up to speed on it as fast as we would have liked.

Which time fixes.......and we've seen that happen in front of our eyes. So he gets the rest of this year as an audition and if they play decent ball with a so so back up I'm all in.

Co-sign

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

You better be from the west side or east side but either way you gotta be from CLE to rock that icon because nobody else but us can.