Schotty needs to be fired after this year.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
This guy cannot coach offensive football one lick. He only has a job cause of his Dad tbh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. Offense was looking good with Sam before the injury. Stacy was the missing piece. Offense has done about as well as you can without Sam. He's not a great OC but he's not the liability some make him seem to be. My biggest issue is that I wish he used Tavon better. I hope Stedman seems more snaps soon too.

RamEERS

Pastor
unfortunately that may be the case... Stacy might have saved Schotty's job... would like to see what kind of offense it looks like with bradford back... but schotty definitely needs to find a way to get tavon involved... as much as i dislike the guy.. he might be safe after this year...

TexasRam

Legend
The Crazy thing is Schotty is OK for a Team with a good running game which stresses playaction pass off the running game. And with Stacy what he is it now makes sense to keep Schotty so we can get better at this offense. It's hard to say that, because Schotty is real shitty as an X's and O's guy and cant coach up the small details needed for execution of a pass play. But as a run first Coach he's drawing up some nice runs right in Stacys wheelhouse. Its the lesser of two evils. I would rather deal with Schottys inablitys as a playcaller and teacher then getting a whole new offense, waiting for everyone to learn it and then find out it doesnt emphasize the Run game that we want to establish with Stacy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This guy cannot coach offensive football one lick. He only has a job cause of his Dad tbh.

My Dad agrees. I love that Sam had the same OC twice, but it's not like it really made that much difference. Returning players haven't done much. Only Pettis has been consistent this year. He's an awesome red zone target.

Im on the fence, personally. It's hard to say without our QB. I'd support Fisher either way. Fisher's move to pound the rock and start Stacy was a great move. If we had Sam in there and won the last two, very possible, I say we could be very well sinnging a different tune going into this week.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd like a new OC but I just don't think certain players could handle learning a new system(not talking about Sam although him having to learn another one makes me cringe as well).

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is moot discussion. Fisher is not dumping Schotty. And no one else is gonna hire Schotty as a HC.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Don't get where this shit about Shotty comes from,his game plans have kept us in games with Seattle and Tenn. with Kellen Clemens at QB,he didn't miss the FG in the Seattle game ,drop the passes in the Tenn. game.

He has this job because Jeff Fisher wants his team to play the type of football Shotty believes in, to attribute his employment to his dad is a direct slap at Fisher and basically says he's too lazy to evaluate coaches and just picks them for name recognition.
I am so thoroughly impressed with how this team has progressed from having been blown out in games early in the year to being very competitive now against good opponents with a backup QB,hell I'd extend the guy right now , cuz I've got this sneaking suspicion he could end up a HC ( which BTW COULD have something to do with his name,owners DO that ,HC's get fired when THEY make choices that way).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That ^^^. I have not always been a Schotty fan, but I think he has gotten better each week with the talent he has. He is still figuring out what these youngsters can do and can excel at. I said during the preseason that I thought we could win 7-8 games this seasson with that schedule and this young roster. That was with Sam at the helm. 2014 is where it is at my friends. One more year. I think we go off.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
This is moot discussion. Fisher is not dumping Schotty. And no one else is gonna hire Schotty as a HC.

I get both those statements max, except like I said in the previous post ,owners DO hire people on "name", I'd agree he won't get stolen from us this year , but with all these recs. coming back next yr. in more advanced stages of development ,I think we could very well enjoy the yr. everyone( except you of course:wink:) was expecting THIS yr. next yr.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I am not any different than anybody else so when our offense is spittering and sputtering I want somebody to blame. And sometimes it's legitimate that a better play call in a specific situation would have made a difference in the success of that situation. But until our players start consistently executing the plays that are called it's unfair, IMO, to blame the OC.
One of the big criticisms in vogue right now is that Shotz doesn't know how to use Tavon. I disagree with that notion. I think Austin is going to be a huge star in this league-but obviously it will take more time for him to learn the system and for him to adapt to the difference between playing in the NFL and playing in college. Re-wind the first four games of the season. Shott did every thing he could to get Tavon involved (to a fault) and it didn't produce any success. We all know that old definition of insanity. To further illustrate my point, look at Austin on the punt returns. Shott doesn't have anything to do with that, right? Has that been a success? Tavon continues to underwhelm on punt returns.
Which brings us back to the point. If the players are executing the plays that are called on a consistent basis, and the offense is still a failure, than look at the OC. But best I can see Shott has identifed what plays this group is capable of executing, and the running game is working. Can you imagine the effectiveness of the play action if Bradford was still healthy?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Changing the OC will not suddenly make execution better. And if he's such a liability, then how it is Kellen Clemens has been able to engineer five 80 yard scoring drives in two games? Either everyone got it wrong and Clemens is elite, or the OC (being pragmatic) knew how to call run plays and get receivers open in the underneath/intermediate zones to keep those drives alive.

It's always the OC when teams sputter on offense. And when we have great games, then suddenly nobody talks about the guy. Schottenheimer doesn't fumble. Schottenheimer doesn't commit drive-killing penalties, and Schottenheimer doesn't get gashed on defense, thereby limiting his own options.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Schotty is working with a group of very inexperienced young players at skill positions. He's making progress from what I'm watching. All of us would like to see the progress get fast forwarded, but it can only happen with game experience... especially with the WRs.

Second guessing play calls is something that will happen no matter who the OC is. I remember wanting to slap Martz more than once. When stupid play calls actually work, the OC is a genius.

On a side note... that jacket Schotty was sporting Sunday was tight.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
The biggest excuse for Bradford was he had 3 OCs in 4yrs so u want to make it 4 in 5yrs? Sam had his best statistical year last year and was easily gonna top that if not for the injuries this year. This year with Sam we were I think top 5 in redzone scoring (TDs). We have recievers who consistantly drop balls, I think we lead the league in that or we may be 2nd... That's not the OCs fualt. It's not his fault that our qbs don't like to take shots down the field or throw it into tight coverage or try to throw a covered guy open. And as much as I would like to see that, I can't blame the qbs because our recievers haven't proven that they are capable of making plays like that. The only thing I have a problem with with schotty is he runs the same plays in the same situations too often (hell, if I'm on my couch and see the same formation and the same motion, I know its the same play, now imagine what a dc or a defensive player is doing...) and he loves to get away from the run in the redzone. I can live with those flaws.

Plus this is the same guy who went to a few afc championship games when he had a strong running game with Mark Sanchez. Do I need to say more?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
, I think we lead the league in that or we may be 2nd... That's not the OCs fualt. Do I need to say more?
Going into last Sunday we were second,so if we are gonna fire someone about that I'd say the wr. coach.
And ...........................not for me ya don't

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know that he needs to be fired. I feel like our offense has looked solid the last couple weeks. I am starting to wonder if it wasn't Sam. I don't see him looking down field like Clemons does. I feel that a better version of Kellen would be terrific in the offense. Sam checks down to damn much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To further illustrate my point, look at Austin on the punt returns. Shott doesn't have anything to do with that, right? Has that been a success? Tavon continues to underwhelm on punt returns.

Yes, it has been a success. If not for every big return he had being negated, Austin would have a pretty nice PR average, a TD and a decent amount of long returns.

And let us not forget that he was a few inches(out of bounds) from breaking that one for another TD last Sunday.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yes, it has been a success. If not for every big return he had being negated, Austin would have a pretty nice PR average, a TD and a decent amount of long returns.

And let us not forget that he was a few inches(out of bounds) from breaking that one for another TD last Sunday.

Well FWIW jrry it's HARD for a full time Rams fan and a part time Broncos fan like me to see our #8 overall compared to Tridon Holliday who was a sixth round choice of the Texans and is accounting for 540K of cap .

Someone needs to jerk the kid up and tell him to go....... and deal with it as it comes

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that he needs to be fired. I feel like our offense has looked solid the last couple weeks. I am starting to wonder if it wasn't Sam. I don't see him looking down field like Clemens does. I feel that a better version of Kellen would be terrific in the offense. Sam checks down to damn much.

This type of stuff frustrates me to read. Juggs, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion but I think it's an unfair stance to take. Clemens had his most success against Tennessee when he was throwing underneath their zone coverage.

And if we want to talk Sam, Sam wasn't "checking down" when he had a running game. He was lighting defenses up at every level. Sam's "check downs" mainly were coming in the early part of the year when our running game was averaging around 2.5 yards per carry(read: completely ineffective). And he was throwing short because teams were just sitting their safeties back in 2 deep zones to keep us from throwing deep. I thought he could have done more to challenge the intermediate part of the defense but that also meant throwing over levels of defenders which is not easy and a riskier proposition.

Give Sam a running game that needs to be respected which forces teams to bring more players into the box and blitz and Sam is just fine. You can't throw down the field to throw down the field. You gotta take what the defense is giving you.

In fact, that would be one of the few complaints I had about Clemens against Tennessee. There were multiple plays where a WR opened up short and Clemens tried to force it down the field.