Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
IMO, the defense has been showing improvement.

The Rams gave up:

34 points to the Vikings
34 points to the Cowboys
34 points to the Eagles
31 points to the 49ers
26 points to the Seahawks
34 points to the Chiefs

The only decent game was against the Bucs where they only gave up 17 points. Sure not every point was due to lousy defense. Turnovers and bad field position where responsible for some of those points. But in 3 of those games the D totally fell apart and caused us to lose. There's a definite problem there

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The Rams gave up:

34 points to the Vikings
34 points to the Cowboys
34 points to the Eagles
31 points to the 49ers
34 points to the Chiefs

The only decent game was against the Bucs where they only gave up 17 points. Sure not every point was due to lousy defense. Turnovers and bad field position where responsible for some of those points. But in 3 of those games the D totally fell apart and caused us to lose. There's a definite problem there
I think it is more than fair though to look at the inability of the offense to contribute in some of those games causing the defense to be on the field and wear down.

I think that was a big part of what happened in the Chiefs game, Seattle, 49ers...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A link from last year. Some of the comments are very revealing. Basically supports what we're seeing on the field. Wasn't a fan of the hire to begin with, but I was willing to go along with Fisher's judgment. And I also had no choice. Being a fan and all.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/threads/259197-Rams-beat-writer-rips-Schottenheimer

Sorry dude but other Internet fans talking about the oc based from a freaking Bernie article over a year ago doesn't hold much merit to me.

Time to move past the "blame the oc" shtick.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think it is more than fair though to look at the inability of the offense to contribute in some of those games causing the defense to be on the field and wear down.

I think that was a big part of what happened in the Chiefs game, Seattle, 49ers...

That's absolutely the case in some of the games. Not defending Schottenheimer by any means, just pointing out that he might not be the main problem.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams gave up:

34 points to the Vikings
34 points to the Cowboys
34 points to the Eagles
31 points to the 49ers
34 points to the Chiefs

Oh, believe me, there’s plenty of criticism to go around for all the coaches. Including the GM. Someone had sent me the Jets message board link, and I gotta be honest, I got quite a chuckle out of some of the comments because they confirmed a lot of what I was feeling about our OC after watching this team perform on offense over the last three years.

Like I said in an earlier reply, the only reason I'm giving Gregg Williams a pass to this point, is because of his track record. I believe we will get better on defense. Hopefully.

I don't feel the same about the Schotty and the offense. I wish I did.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Shottenheimer is the biggest problem bar none right now. It is so obvious it is frustrating to watch his inept play calling every game.
When was the last time you saw him call a screen to counter the massive pass rush. Thats not even football 101 its football preschool.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry dude but other Internet fans talking about the oc based from a freaking Bernie article over a year ago doesn't hold much merit to me.

Time to move past the "blame the oc" shtick.

Haha! I posted a link with some comments from some fans who confirm what a lot of us are witnessing. Thought some people may get a kick out of it like I did. Personally, it made me feel like I wasn't going insane. And, "no", I don't believe Shotty is the sole reason this team isn't doing well. He's a big one. But not the only one.

And I never do shtick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams gave up:

34 points to the Vikings
34 points to the Cowboys
34 points to the Eagles
31 points to the 49ers
34 points to the Chiefs

The Chiefs had only scored 13 offensive points in the first 3 Q. The Rams Offense only accumulated 3 first downs and 46 total yards in the 8 drives following their touchdown. The defense did their job, the offense lost that game.
The Rams offense has scored only 13 points in the 3rd quarter for the year. Only beacuse they scored a TD with 3 sec left against Philly or the stat would be even more lop sided. For as crisp as they appear in Q1, they look entirely predictable starting Q3.
I am disappointed with the D performance this season, but it has been playing recently better despite the injuries to the secondary. The offense? After Q1 of each of the alst 3 games, hs been deplorable

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That's absolutely the case in some of the games. Not defending Schottenheimer by any means, just pointing out that he might not be the main problem.
I agree...though, I'm not so sure that there is really a "main problem"...just a lot of blame to go around, and injuries is only part of it.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams gave up:

34 points to the Vikings
34 points to the Cowboys
34 points to the Eagles
31 points to the 49ers
34 points to the Chiefs

You cannot expect a defense to excel when they are on the field an inordinate amount of time.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm equal on it. Both don't need to be here next year. This state of awfulness sucks bad, but one thing that can come out of uncertain QB situation and needing 2/3rds of the Oline replaced is that there is no more need to preserve continuity like with Sam Bradford being developed. We are essentially free to go out and get a playbook that actually has more than a few pages. As far as the DC is concerned, we have all the same guys we had last year, with the addition of the best rookie DB in this years draft and maybe the best rookie D player of the year. And we are worse than last year. What has changed? The Def playbook and the man who calls the plays. Evidence seems pretty clear on that one.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm willing to give Williams time, as I think some of our defensive struggles are due to guys trying to learn the scheme. This is a guy that has coached some very good defenses, including two that went to a Super Bowl and one that won it all - in no small part due to one of the ballsiest 3rd down calls ever, a blitz against Peyton Manning that turned into a pick six and was clearly the decisive score in the game. Williams has been fighting some of his own instincts on manufacturing pressure this year, and the players appear to be thinking about it.

Schotty ... as I've said, he's a guy who does just enough to not get fired. He can be really good for parts of games, but he's rarely good for full games. On the other hand, he certainly can be bad for full games. His lack of imagination on how to get Tavon involved in the passing game is maddening, as there are a number of offensive minds I can think of now that would have him causing opposing DC's to have cold sweats. And his inability to adjust and counter defenses for pressure and when things start going south is also pretty evident.

I don't know who might shake available after this season, but I wish Fisher would initiate some back channel communications and get someone else lined up for this spot, because while Schotty isn't horrible, I just think we can do so much better.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Shotty is a poor OC,
Williams is a poor DC,
Team Drs. and trainers are bad,
We have a bad O-Line,
Fisher doesn't tuck his shirts in during the games,

My God our team feels like an unfolded lawn chair!

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Schotty knows how to PA fake really well, but he always abandons it for some form of very basic run or pass play. Whyyy???? Kills me.

All well, can't win without blocking, anyhow. Win in the trenches is #1.

Even Rodgers needs a little time, but not much lol.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
We've scored enough points to win at least 3 of our losses.
OC isn't our problem.
Oline and poor D play.

Fix those and we're not even talking about Shotty.

By the way, the Jets aren't exactly excelling without him. They've gotten worse.
no dude. you don't get it. the first half is a lot of scripted plays based on what Schotty sees in tape. he's done well at this and we have seen the talent on offense. but by the second half coaches have adjusted to the playcalling and have to call plays off the cuff. Schotty doesn't know how to ADJUST. second half points are almost non existent in most games or garbage time points. he needs to go. Williams is up and down but Fisher needs to get involved in the D play calling. I support Fisher but if that OC is still here next year Fisher loses my support