Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Call me jaded but I just don't feel real comfortable with Schottie at the controls. I'm loving me some Williams as DC. I DVR all of our games and I've been re watching some of them lately (jonesing for some Rams football) and he is just not imaginative enough. I mean we have Tavon, Stedman, Cook, etc. We should be really unpredictable. Schottie.....not so much. Whadaya think?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm probably in the minority in that I think Schottenheimer is fine. What I saw, more often than not, was execution problems across the board. He actually came out with a very creative offense, but there were too many lapses in execution - namely along the O-line and the receivers. If a coordinator is bad, he wouldn't be able to switch offensive philosophies overnight and establish a very good ground game. And I don't know how people can see some of the big plays the Rams came down with and think the coordinator is a non-factor. This team had a better big play % than 16 other teams. And with a very inexperienced group of playmakers too. JMO.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Lets hope he grows as a coordinator, he is relatively young. Fisher must see something because Jeff loyal as he is does not fear making changes to benefit the team.
I hope Schotty comes out and surprises us all.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm a little mixed but tend to agree with X. There was a ton of plays that weren't bad designs, but horrible execution. Half the bubble screens we ran were barely blocked.
I do think Shotty can be a little bland at times but if we executed better the results would be different.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
As for goal line offense, he's great, his entire offense is the five yard passing route variety. He needs to dial up some longer passes between the 20s though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm probably in the minority in that I think Schottenheimer is fine. What I saw, more often than not, was execution problems across the board. He actually came out with a very creative offense, but there were too many lapses in execution - namely along the O-line and the receivers. If a coordinator is bad, he wouldn't be able to switch offensive philosophies overnight and establish a very good ground game. And I don't know how people can see some of the big plays the Rams came down with and think the coordinator is a non-factor. This team had a better big play % than 16 other teams. And with a very inexperienced group of playmakers too. JMO.

I hope so man, I feel like Schotty was a henderence to this team in several games last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hope so man, I feel like Schotty was a henderence to this team in several games last year.
Just my opinion. I've been known to be wrong.
That one time.
When I actually did take the cookie.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think when you get Schotteinheimer in his element you're fine, he's used to having a sturdy line, with a thumper RB and a QB that can get it done, so far in his tenure he's only got some of two mixed together in various ways. It was either good QB and thumper RB, or good line and good QB, or like last season good line and thumper RB. S'never come together as much as it has now though, with Stacy, Bradford and the line looking to be more solid than it has been in years, I think we see the best of Schotteinheimer.

If he could make Sanchize look good when everything was working for him, he can definitely lead this team to some offense.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Call me jaded but I just don't feel real comfortable with Schottie at the controls. I'm loving me some Williams as DC. I DVR all of our games and I've been re watching some of them lately (jonesing for some Rams football) and he is just not imaginative enough. I mean we have Tavon, Stedman, Cook, etc. We should be really unpredictable. Schottie.....not so much. Whadaya think?

Your not jaded, but Schottie is at the controls of an offence Fisher installed mid-season last year. We're going to pound the ball and play action pass. Big plays will come after the opponents are tenderized. Schottenheimer needs to stay dedicated to the run and figure out how to maximize Tavon's touches. I guessing we'll see an overall improvement in our offence... there's certainly room for it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
(1) I'm not sure he's good enough as a game planner. If plan A isn't working, we've not seen an effective plan B.

(2) Whoever put together that spread offense to open 2013 failed miserably. You can say it was the players, but... Who put them into that offense only to struggle?

(3) Tavon wasn't used effectively. Yes, he was a rookie... But those short passes and failure to create space for him to work were Schotty's offensive calls.

(4) He was ran out of NY.

I'm rooting for him and this offense, but I am very concerned about this guy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
(1) I'm not sure he's good enough as a game planner. If plan A isn't working, we've not seen an effective plan B.

(2) Whoever put together that spread offense to open 2013 failed miserably. You can say it was the players, but... Who put them into that offense only to struggle?

(3) Tavon wasn't used effectively. Yes, he was a rookie... But those short passes and failure to create space for him to work were Schotty's offensive calls.

To be fair to him though, ever since he's been ran out of NY, the Jets have been a spiraling pit of depression, so it was hardly him that was holding them back.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Fully agree with X. Most of our problems last year were from being a young team and execution problems.

This even goes for defense too, which we played mostly the same scheme as the year before...but had a younger secondary.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Schotty and I think he fits what we want to do. He has alot of experience with the run game leading the team. I remember the Jets would run it down people's throat all the time when he was there. I just don't know if I like him too much when it comes to the passing game.

One thing that bothers me is I feel like Tavon could've had a much bigger season last year but Schotty really didn't do too much creative things for him. I know he's small but I want to see Tavon line up in the backfield a little more. Give him a handoff, playaction to him, screen pass, something. Move this guy around and he can seriously be a danger to other teams. I like Schotty but sometimes I really question his creativity and play calling on Sundays. This year should tell us quite a bit on our offense going forward, I would think.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Wasn't the "running out of NY" a case of being scapegoated for Sanchez's poor play? I believe Sanchez actually regressed after Schottenheimer left.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I was kinda frustrated with Schotty on that flubbed goal 2 goal situation last year. At the time a few things came to my mind.

1. I had to go pee really bad.
2. I should grab another beer on my way back from the bathroom.
3. He needs to learn his players strengths better. Some guys do things better than others.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Aaarrrggghhh!!!!!!

Schotty didn't drop all those passes... Tavon and Jared did.
Schotty wasn't injured, Bradford, Long, Saffold, Dahl, and Wells were.
Schotty SHOULDN'T dial up too many long passes while Williams was giving DT's free passes to the QB.

If anything, he gets too cute with his play calls in short yardage. I'm still scratching my head about pulling SJax out for Pead on third and goal fron the two against the Niners at home a couple years ago. He had a handful of calls like that again last year.

I frankly think he sets a good number of deep shots up appropriately through play action. But it's the type of pass routes that bother me about Scotty. To me he uses too many comebacks, curls, and digs and not enough combination routes that give receivers the ability to run after the catch.

I don't mind criticizing him because he, like anyone, has areas to improve. But he's not the dink and dunk Sherman nor the lets drop back five and seven steps behind a pedestrian line and get the QB killed McDaniels either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was kinda frustrated with Schotty on that flubbed goal 2 goal situation last year. At the time a few things came to my mind.

1. I had to go pee really bad.
2. I should grab another beer on my way back from the bathroom.
3. He needs to learn his players strengths better. Some guys do things better than others.
Are you talking about the goal to go vs Seattle at the dome?

Simba

Rookie
I think Schotty is the right man in the right place if Fisher will bring us to play "his football".The problem was last 2 years we didn't play a Fisher/Schotty's football (ground & pounds ) ...