Schottenheimer to take Rams' OC job, pending contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
True. Ernie Zampese >>> Norv Turner >>> Cam Cameron >>> Brian Schottenheimer.
So, out of curiosity to understand differences of systems, is Martz?:

Coryell >>> Zampese >>> Martz

Where Martz's system is a more pass-first version of Coryell's system? And Schotty is the more run-first version?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
X said:
True. Ernie Zampese >>> Norv Turner >>> Cam Cameron >>> Brian Schottenheimer.
So, out of curiosity to understand differences of systems, is Martz?:

Coryell >>> Zampese >>> Martz

Where Martz's system is a more pass-first version of Coryell's system? And Schotty is the more run-first version?
Yeah, Martz studied under Zampese & Turner. Coryell's system is medium & long range passes, coupled with a power running game. Guys like Martz would tend to add to the system, whereas guys like Saunders would more or less stay within the confines of it. I don't know that you have to take one aspect or the other, in as much as you utilize the talent available to you. In St Louis, I'd think, you'll see the focus on power running, but there will be shots down the field off of that, and utilizing seams. That's where guys like Salas and Kendricks will probably come in handy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like this hire if it is indeed true which it seems it maybe. But, my only concern is if BS (some nice initials huh) is destined for a HC gig in the near future and SB sees his 4th O in as many years. Let's just forget that for now and get EXCITED!!!

I'm still not on the Williams bandwagon yet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'll be cautiously optimisitc, since I thought he did a damn fine job w/ Rex Ryan his 1st year and most of the 2nd year. It doesn't help when Sanchez keeps throwing ducks out there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
I'll be cautiously optimisitc, since I thought he did a damn fine job w/ Rex Ryan his 1st year and most of the 2nd year. It doesn't help when Sanchez keeps throwing ducks out there.
So that begs the question. What's the deal with THAT? Schottenheimer was a QB coach for his dad for like 4 years? 5 years? So either he's not very good at coaching quarterbacks, or Sanchez isn't very good, period.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Angry Ram said:
So that begs the question. What's the deal with THAT? Schottenheimer was a QB coach for his dad for like 4 years? 5 years? So either he's not very good at coaching quarterbacks, or Sanchez isn't very good, period.

I don't think Sanchez is very good. Honestly watching Hard Knocks he just acts like a 15 year old. Getting pissy and throwing a hissy fit when he makes a bad play, saying stupid things, I dunno it just came off that way. Which is why it doesn't shock me that he was banging some 17 year old last year.

I don't think Sanchez has the maturity to be a starting QB right now, especially for a high profile team. He wasn't a starter very long at USC, he didn't really get the experience in my opinion.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

When Schotty had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene, damn good OL, he limited Sanchez. Now as good QBs develop, Sanchez never did and Ithink that's more Sanchez than the OC. OCs put their players in posistion to make plays and its up to players to execute.

W/ his daddy I think Rivers and Brees did alright there in SD. :ww:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

When Schotty had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene, damn good OL, he limited Sanchez. Now as good QBs develop, Sanchez never did and Ithink that's more Sanchez than the OC. OCs put their players in posistion to make plays and its up to players to execute.

W/ his daddy I think Rivers and Brees did alright there in SD. :ww:

That could also explain why Sanchez played better in the playoffs. They would limit him throughout the season and then when the playoffs roll around they would go against tendencies by having him pass more to suprise the opponents. Thats essentially what the 49ers did with Alex Smith in their win against the Saints. Could also compare it to what we did with Bradford in that week 17 game against the Seahawks.

Its really hard to evaluate the Jets offense because there wasnt much continuity. Id like to think that they would have been better if they kept the WR corps intact (Cotchery, Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards). They have regressed under Schotty, and only time will tell if thats more of a development issue with Sanchez.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
zn said:
I like this hire.

Granted I liked the McD hire too.
I don't know what to think about this hire. I like it, but just like ZN, I also liked the McDaniels hire. Truth be told, I was actually pretty fired up about the Josh McDaniels hire.

I know the Jets O hasn't been that great the past couple of years, but they weren't bad, before Sanchize was the QB. Like others said, he also developed Brees and Rivers into pretty good QBs. I know he ran a fairly vanilla, ball-control offense for the Jets, but that might be because he didn't trust his QB and what Rex Ryan preferred. Maybe, he'll do a good job here.

Now let's hire some good position coaches. We need some guys who can coach up our O-line, WR and Sam

superfan24

Starter
I have the same feelings/thoughts on the Williams hire as I did when McDaniels was hired. I guess less risky with the defensive foundation that is already in place, but not thrilled by it....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not jumping for joy over this one. Would much prefer Chilly........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
You just want Childress so you can say "Chilly" a bunch of times during the year.

Go ahead. Admit it. :whistle:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Faceplant said:
You just want Childress so you can say "Chilly" a bunch of times during the year.

Go ahead. Admit it. :whistle:

Oh stop it, now you are just being chilly.....errr...umm....silly.

CHILLY!!!!!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"... the Jets averaged 23 points per game this season, ranking 13th among 32 teams. In 2010 they averaged 23 points per game, which ranked 13th. And the Sanchez passer rating actually improved this season. He had a a rating of 63.6 as a rookie, 75.3 in 2010, and 78.2 this season. Sanchez also passed for a career-high 26 TDs. (His INT rate also went up.)

And the Jets were fantastic in the red zone, ranking first in the NFL in converting chances into touchdowns, scoring 36 TDs in 55 opportunities for a success rate of 65.5. The Rams have been horrific in the RZ, so this is encouraging. Sanchez did well in the red zone this season, throwing 21 TDs with 3 INTs. Of course, Sanchez also had a more impressive collection of receiving options, which helped him."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 0f31a.html

Orfordram

UDFA
brokeu91 said:
zn said:
I like this hire.

I don't know what to think about this hire. I like it, but just like ZN, I also liked the McDaniels hire. Truth be told, I was actually pretty fired up about the Josh McDaniels hire.

I know the Jets O hasn't been that great the past couple of years, but they weren't bad, before Sanchize was the QB. Like others said, he also developed Brees and Rivers into pretty good QBs. I know he ran a fairly vanilla, ball-control offense for the Jets, but that might be because he didn't trust his QB and what Rex Ryan preferred. Maybe, he'll do a good job here.

Now let's hire some good position coaches. We need some guys who can coach up our O-line, WR and Sam

Amen to all that. I'll be very interested to see who the OL coach is, and also highly interested in getting a couple of new (BIG, strong, fast) faces for the "O" line, as well as a really large gap stuffer for the middle of the "D" line. Get one this year, and next year get a second behemoth to take Robbins' place. He kind of tailed off this year, so the end of his career is in sight. I think he came in too overweight to be active, and never got it under control. If I were Fischer, I'd put him on a work-out/diet so he could have another good year or two.

Sorry to say, I think Smith (our erstwile offensive tackle) is not ever going to cut it. IMHO Goldberg should never have been anything but a last resort. He showed his anchor was too light in 2010, and IMHO it was one of many signs about the Spags/DeVaney era that they kept him. He's plenty smart. Maybe he could be an attorney.

Anonymous

Orfordram said:
brokeu91 said:
zn said:
I like this hire.

Amen to all that. I'll be very interested to see who the OL coach is, and also highly interested in getting a couple of new (BIG, strong, fast) faces for the "O" line, as well as a really large gap stuffer for the middle of the "D" line. Get one this year, and next year get a second behemoth to take Robbins' place. He kind of tailed off this year, so the end of his career is in sight. I think he came in too overweight to be active, and never got it under control. If I were Fischer, I'd put him on a work-out/diet so he could have another good year or two.

Sorry to say, I think Smith (our erstwile offensive tackle) is not ever going to cut it. IMHO Goldberg should never have been anything but a last resort. He showed his anchor was too light in 2010, and IMHO it was one of many signs about the Spags/DeVaney era that they kept him. He's plenty smart. Maybe he could be an attorney.

Robbins hurt his back in the pre-season and was never the same thereafter.

He tailed off ALL season, in other words.

moklerman

Warner-phile
interference said:
"... the Jets averaged 23 points per game this season, ranking 13th among 32 teams. In 2010 they averaged 23 points per game, which ranked 13th. And the Sanchez passer rating actually improved this season. He had a a rating of 63.6 as a rookie, 75.3 in 2010, and 78.2 this season. Sanchez also passed for a career-high 26 TDs. (His INT rate also went up.)

And the Jets were fantastic in the red zone, ranking first in the NFL in converting chances into touchdowns, scoring 36 TDs in 55 opportunities for a success rate of 65.5. The Rams have been horrific in the RZ, so this is encouraging. Sanchez did well in the red zone this season, throwing 21 TDs with 3 INTs. Of course, Sanchez also had a more impressive collection of receiving options, which helped him."

Nice info.

I'm not thrilled with the BS hire but the back of my brain keeps telling me that it's not as bad as Jets fans make it seem.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
moklerman said:
interference said:

Nice info.

I'm not thrilled with the BS hire but the back of my brain keeps telling me that it's not as bad as Jets fans make it seem.

Jets can win the Superbowl and still their fans will think the sky is falling.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
moklerman said:
interference said:

Nice info.

Hes the ultimate scapegoat for them right now. I did read a few comments on sites and I couldnt even find anyone that wanted to wish him good luck lol. They underachieved this season, Sanchez still has a ton of question marks, now its been capped off by a VERY rough offseason. Schotty is the one "big name" they have fired. Criticism for Coordinators is getting even more insane year after year.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JdashSTL said:
moklerman said:
interference said:

Nice info.

Hes the ultimate scapegoat for them right now. I did read a few comments on sites and I couldnt even find anyone that wanted to wish him good luck lol. They underachieved this season, Sanchez still has a ton of question marks, now its been capped off by a VERY rough offseason. Schotty is the one "big name" they have fired. Criticism for Coordinators is getting even more insane year after year.

But the Jets didn't fire BS. He resigned. You suppose having Sanchez there for the distant future made him cut and run?