schottenheimer this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
I have to say I am a little more pleased with his play calling this year vs the last two. IDK I find myself saying "nice call" more than previous years where I was getting livid sometimes with the play calls.

Plus how the last couple games weve been getting tavon more involved and people can't really stop that jet sweep with him it seems.

FRO

Legend
It's hard to judge a coordinator who hasn't had his starting QB for the last 21 games and the only full season he had with him we had guys like Ojinnakka, Hunter, Richardson, and Turner blocking and Gibson, Pettis, Smith, Mulligan catching passes.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's hard to judge a coordinator who hasn't had his starting QB for the last 21 games and the only full season he had with him we had guys like Ojinnakka, Hunter, Richardson, and Turner blocking and Gibson, Pettis, Smith, Mulligan catching passes.

Dang that's brutal, I forgot how bad it was just three years ago.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's amazing how the outlook changes when the players execute.
I agree fans in general have a lazy outlook, but from what I've seen in my short time here ROD posters know the team and game really well, at a level above the norm. If someone on ROD makes an anti/pro-Schott comment, I assume they understand the difference between play call and execution. It is possible to keep the issues distinct while also understanding the interplay between them.

Anyway, I agree with the OP, although I still think the Rams have not committed 100% to their professed smash mouth identity on offense (see: not pounding the run in the red zone, no consistent lead back...), but as usual I have no idea how much of that to attribute to Schott or Fisher.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually think it's interesting. We actually do adapt the offense to our surroundings and the other team. Does anyone think we come out in an all pass start to this weeks game? I've been anything but a big Schotty fan but he has won me over with a lot of his play calls of late. Still not a big fan of the last play against SD but feel much better after hearing Fish's explanation. Execution. We're starting to see it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Anyway, I agree with the OP, although I still think the Rams have not committed 100% to their professed smash mouth identity on offense (see: not pounding the run in the red zone, no consistent lead back...), but as usual I have no idea how much of that to attribute to Schott or Fisher.

Not surprised, I saw our offense dependent on the opposing defense's weaknesses during the previous offseason. Not sure where how people thought we were a true smashmouth offense (although I could see that after the Whiners fiasco at home last year). Hope next season will be the one where Tavon Austin breaks out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Four games left let's see how all of us feel after the season. Quite frankly, he's a good match with Fisher and Fisher did go to a Super Bowl with Les Steckel as his offensive coordinator who makes Schottenheimer look like the second coming of Don Coryell, but there are times where Schotty goes to the well too often, but quite frankly this year has been better and it is true the Rams have been quarterbacked challenge to post the least.

Now would I feel better with somebody like a Rod Chudzinski? IMO, yes, but maybe just maybe the cohesion of the staff is priority one, but again let's see how these last four games play out.

Alan

Legend
As I had already factored in (to the best of my ability) the lack of execution/talent my opinion of him remains unchanged. When we start playing well offensively in the second half when it's not against a prevent D I'll take another look at my opinion.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree fans in general have a lazy outlook, but from what I've seen in my short time here ROD posters know the team and game really well, at a level above the norm. If someone on ROD makes an anti/pro-Schott comment, I assume they understand the difference between play call and execution. It is possible to keep the issues distinct while also understanding the interplay between them.

Yeah. Shotty throws alot in the redzone. It's seems when Sam was healthy, most of our td's were pass plays, not pounding it in. Which seems to most a bit unorthodox for Fisher.
Many seem to forget get that Shotty is from the same coaching tree as Norv Turner, Martz and E. Zampese. Which are all from Coryell.

FRO

Legend
Dang that's brutal, I forgot how bad it was just three years ago.
It's night and day isn't it? We had a QB then and not much else, now we have almost everything but a QB. Let's hope Sam bounces back. That's our only option for 2015.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I actually think it's interesting. We actually do adapt the offense to our surroundings and the other team. Does anyone think we come out in an all pass start to this weeks game? I've been anything but a big Schotty fan but he has won me over with a lot of his play calls of late. Still not a big fan of the last play against SD but feel much better after hearing Fish's explanation. Execution. We're starting to see it.
I was fine with the call. Hill made a bad decision and should have gone elsewhere or thrown it away.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was fine with the call. Hill made a bad decision and should have gone elsewhere or thrown it away.
I think it was a good call as well. If we run and they stuff it for no gain for even a loss, they're expecting a pass next on 3rd down,

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As I had already factored in (to the best of my ability) the lack of execution/talent my opinion of him remains unchanged. When we start playing well offensively in the second half when it's not against a prevent D I'll take another look at my opinion.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think it was a good call as well. If we run and they stuff it for no gain for even a loss, they're expecting a pass next on 3rd down,
I think you have to run there regardless. You keep the clock moving and we had a timeout left. Worse case scenario you kick the fg for the tie. Why risk throwin on 2nd down? Hindsight being 20/20 and all

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Except that they emptied the backfield and didn't run a qb sweep/rollout!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Schotty needs to deliver points. Score points and the criticism goes away.

I'm rooting for him. We stand a better chance for a good start in 2015 by keeping the same scheme installed.

But it comes back to results. Schotty owns that. And it really is that simple. This team is in the hunt if we are at 24ppg.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Schotty is just so inconsistent. Some games he comes out predictable or one dimensional. Then, other games it really seems like he studied the weaknesses in the opposing defense and targets them in his game plan. When he gets creative, great things have happened. I'm not sure if it's more effort put into some weeks or if it's too much trouble to deviate from the normal scheme repeatedly.

jjab360

Legend
I don't care what anyone says, I have been very impressed with Schotty's playcalling almost all season long and most of last season following that abysmal first 4 games.