Schottenheimer: "Tavon Austin Playing Much Faster"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
I remember seeing a clip of Kuechly being miked up for the Ram game and as soon as Tavon got in the game on any given play Kuechly would yell "11 is in the game- 11 is in the game!!!" the attention was clearly on him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think that might change this season, barring any random injuries in training camp again. It's good we have the defense we do cause we're gonna need it. I'm not saying everyone in our division is gonna turn into the broncos of the last couple years, but I can definitely see there being more points being scored due to offense.

The niners have about 27 WR's and 32 RB's, and it would be a bad idea to underestimate Seattle's offense as well. But hey, if they want to try and pass on us more I'm sure out d-line won't mind :sneaky:
The '9ers and 'Hawks both grind out offense with a running philosophy. They asphyxiate you by keeping your D on the field and your O on the sidelines.

Now, both have the ability to strike quickly once you've committed to stopping Gore/Lynch - the '9ers moreso with Crabtree and Davis - but they're not what you'd call "high-octane."

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's no surprise to me when I hear that Austin is playing much faster now. I felt that Schotty was limited last year with Austin because of the learning curve he was going through... We all know that rookie WRs have just about the biggest adjustment to make from college to the pros. TA was doing the best that he could with his experience level last year,,, and Schotty was working around that the best that he could.

Less thinking now = more speed. It also means that Schotty can now put more on Austin's plate.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
The '9ers and 'Hawks both grind out offense with a running philosophy. They asphyxiate you by keeping your D on the field and your O on the sidelines.

Now, both have the ability to strike quickly once you've committed to stopping Gore/Lynch - the '9ers moreso with Crabtree and Davis - but they're not what you'd call "high-octane."

Never considered them "high-octane" and I still wouldn't, as you mentioned. Going off that though, I think their (the niners) defense is going to take a step back this year so if they are going to remain competitive it's going to be because of their offense. They're obviously committed to improving their WR depth, and they've been stockpiling RB's the last few years too.

As far as the Seahawks, I could see them going either way.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Never considered them "high-octane" and I still wouldn't, as you mentioned. Going off that though, I think their (the niners) defense is going to take a step back this year so if they are going to remain competitive it's going to be because of their offense. They're obviously committed to improving their WR depth, and they've been stockpiling RB's the last few years too.

I wonder if Marcus Lattimer will ever be what he was projected to be coming out of college.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
I wonder if Marcus Lattimer will ever be what he was projected to be coming out of college.

Let's hope not haha. But even if he doesn't, they got several other backs waiting to take over. Gore has got to be almost done, can't imagine him going much longer.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Possible, sure. I don't think Kaepernick is capable of driving a higher-tempo passing offense, though. And if their defense takes a step back, I'd think it would benefit them to go further into a conservative clock-grinding offense to keep their D off the field as much as possible.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Possible, sure. I don't think Kaepernick is capable of driving a higher-tempo passing offense, though. And if their defense takes a step back, I'd think it would benefit them to go further into a conservative clock-grinding offense to keep their D off the field as much as possible.

Agreed, but we'll just have to wait and see. I really do think the Niners will be taking a step back this year though. I could be wrong but I just have this gut feeling that's the case.

jap

Legend
It's no surprise to me when I hear that Austin is playing much faster now. I felt that Schotty was limited last year with Austin because of the learning curve he was going through... We all know that rookie WRs have just about the biggest adjustment to make from college to the pros. TA was doing the best that he could with his experience level last year,,, and Schotty was working around that the best that he could.

Less thinking now = more speed. It also means that Schotty can now put more on Austin's plate.

Tavon wasn't just learning pro WR schemes, he had to learn RB schemes and KR/PR roles too as well as any unique Tavon schemes designed to take advantage of his rare gifts. I expected the young guys to struggle early on before they started growing under Sam's watch. Unfortunately, Sam the Ram went down and that injury prevented a possible 2013 Horns playoff appearance.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Agreed, but we'll just have to wait and see. I really do think the Niners will be taking a step back this year though. I could be wrong but I just have this gut feeling that's the case.
Well, Justin Smith is a year older and Aldon is likely to miss a lot of time even if he's not thrown in jail for multiple years. I think you're right about their defense being on the verge of a very bad turn.

...although they have added some talent to their secondary in the past couple years...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Tavon wasn't just learning pro WR schemes, he had to learn RB schemes and KR/PR roles too as well as any unique Tavon schemes designed to take advantage of his rare gifts. I expected the young guys to struggle early on before they started growing under Sam's watch. Unfortunately, Sam the Ram went down and that injury prevented a possible 2013 Horns playoff appearance.

Good points on the RB and Return duties. TA had a whole bunch going through that melon of his.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Well, Justin Smith is a year older and Aldon is likely to miss a lot of time even if he's not thrown in jail for multiple years. I think you're right about their defense being on the verge of a very bad turn.

...although they have added some talent to their secondary in the past couple years...

Don't forget about Bowman. And yeah, their secondary is the only thing that worries me, specifically their safeties.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
9ers secondary is garbage...say it with the french accent
They've done a good job by adding Reid last year and Ward this year... could be a top-5 safety duo for a fairly long time if Ward pans out. Although you're right, their CB stable is not so great.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not to sound like a debbie downer, but I'm not sure how you can claim someone is the "most improved player" after a few OTA's. Sounds like coach speak to me, unfortunately. Still keeping my fingers crossed that that's not the case though.
Probably because they see them every day and have been in the building with these guys for the better part of a year or two in Quick's case. They see more than we are ever going to through the eyes and writing style of some guy that "gets" to see them for 4 or 5 hours during OTAs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They've done a good job by adding Reid last year and Ward this year... could be a top-5 safety duo for a fairly long time if Ward pans out. Although you're right, their CB stable is not so great.

think they'll play Ward as a slot corner.....who's their FA pick up? For safety..

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
think they'll play Ward as a slot corner.....who's their FA pick up? For safety..
I'm not sure about that, the guy just profiles as a center fielder type free safety. Bethea is the guy they signed from Indy. Not sure how long-term a solution he is, has been in the league a good eight years.

Fasnacht

UDFA

Just a reminder...Tavon should be a stud this year...will be really interested to see whether he is put in space more effectively...

Fasnacht

UDFA
And just one more to give everyone hope for what TA can do in a system he knows against pretty high level competition...