Scherff vs Flowers vs Peat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
It seems like all three of these players have their supporters for the Rams top pick (Whether it is at #10 or a trade down)! With all three of these players having their pros (Scherff/Best overall Offensive Lineman; Flowers/Player with probably the most upside; Peat/Most NFL Ready OT in the group) and cons it will very interesting to see where they and the rest of the OL prospects go in this Draft! I admit that I am the least qualified person to rate these players (or, any other players in the Draft) since all I know about any of these players is what Highlight Clips I can find and what I read from the so-called Draft experts and you guys (And, I get a lot more information here from you guys than anywhere else!) but from my very limited perspective I still rank these three players Scherff, Flowers and Peat.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would have to agree pace. I know Im pretty alone on this but I still think Scherff can play RT. He may not dominate on the edge but he gets the job done. Reminds me of Matt Light. Light never dominated but always got the job done and played LT for 10 years.

Stel

Starter
I also have them Scherff, Flowers, Peat. My view:

Scherff is the most solid all around OL but is probably going to be best as an OG who can play ROT in a pinch.

Flowers is a powerful bookend ROT to play opposite Robinson and could cover LOT or OG if needed.

Peat would be my choice if I was wanting a LOT but can be your ROT.

jjab360

Legend
The one thing for me with Scherff is how limited he was last year because of the injury. If you can say for certain it was the root cause of why he was so bad last year, then it'd give him a big bump for me because he has so much physical upside and pretty good technique. But if it's possible that he actually is as stiff as he showed last year, I don't know if I'd even be comfortable taking him in the first round, let alone the top 1o.

Flowers for me is just scary weird as a prospect. Productive because he's so big and strong, but as raw as a high school player. The definition of a project, late first round talent, would've probably gone in the second round in a strong draft like last year.

Peat is the guy who gets a lot of flak but I don't really know why. Good solid build, good length, good technique, solid all around player with very few flaws. Productive in pass protection and as a run blocker, not a nasty player, but that's extremely low on my list of what it takes to be a good offensive lineman. I think he's the only offensive lineman I could take in the top ten and not have any problems with it.

So I guess I'd go:

Peat

Scherff
Flowers

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would have to agree pace. I know Im pretty alone on this but I still think Scherff can play RT. He may not dominate on the edge but he gets the job done. Reminds me of Matt Light. Light never dominated but always got the job done and played LT for 10 years.

I'd hate for this team to spend the #10 selection in any draft class on a guy that only gets it done. IMO, if they take him, they need to plug him in at where he stand the best chance to be dominant. Guard.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'd hate for this team to spend the #10 selection in any draft class on a guy that only gets it done. IMO, if they take him, they need to plug him in at where he stand the best chance to be dominant. Guard.

I don't disagree and think Parker is going to be the pick at 10. But if they go oline at 10 or are for some reason committed to oline at 10 Scherff would be the guy for me. Personally I would rather wait till the 3rd and grab a guy like Tre Jackson or if he managed to make it to the 2nd AJ Cann.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
It seems like all three of these players have their supporters for the Rams top pick (Whether it is at #10 or a trade down)! With all three of these players having their pros (Scherff/Best overall Offensive Lineman; Flowers/Player with probably the most upside; Peat/Most NFL Ready OT in the group) and cons it will very interesting to see where they and the rest of the OL prospects go in this Draft! I admit that I am the least qualified person to rate these players (or, any other players in the Draft) since all I know about any of these players is what Highlight Clips I can find and what I read from the so-called Draft experts and you guys (And, I get a lot more information here from you guys than anywhere else!) but from my very limited perspective I still rank these three players Scherff, Flowers and Peat.

I feel the exact same way.......;)

Go Rams......... ;)

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
This is the worst year for offensive linemen in several years...I don't feel good about drafting an offensive lineman at #10, much less trading up to nab a behemoth.

If we draft a first round offensive lineman, I want to trade back to the 16th-21st sweet spot and then draft best offensive lineman available. We pick up an extra 2nd-3rd round pick, and draft a WR, QB, or another offensive lineman with extra pick. (y)

I feel Scherff is overrated, and he won't be an OT in the NFL. 23 year old Scherff is smooth, but I saw him give up too many sacks and pressures to college level linemen.:oops: Scherff will be a guard. None of the last few guards drafted in the top 10 have worked out. Remember Chance Warmack?:eek: Look where the Titans are drafting.

Peat is my favorite. He's a 21 year old true left tackle who could play right tackle too. I've been watching Peat's tape since 2013. Yet, I might not pull the trigger on Peat at #10. Why? I think he might be that guy who retires after 3 or 4 years to avoid multiple concussionso_O . He may be that Stanford guy who has unbelievable physical ability and size, but lacks a love of the game. I hope the Ram's detectives dig deep into Peat's psyche before they draft him.

I like Flowers more than Scherff. He's a big boy, only 20 years old. He would start at Right Tackle. At 6'6", it's hard for me to visualize Flowers moving to guard. I think we could move back several spots and get Flowers.

If we stay at #10 I want Snead to pick BAP. Even if it's defense or Todd Gurley. I'm scared we will reach for NEED! But you know what? Sneed is smart. I expect the unexpected tonight. Buckle your seatbelts, It's going to be wild ride.:cool:

Last edited:

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
1st off, I'd be happy with any of the three because we NEED ol help to make the playoffs. I still say that Scherff is the best guard, Peat's the best tackle, and Flowers is the most versatile of the three. Scherff's the best ol who displays the mental attitude that you want for a power-running team-----which is who we want to be. IMHO, taking Peat means by-bye Joe Barksdale, as he is strictly a tackle. I keep reading here that taking a guard at 10 is not "value" but looking at our present ol we're going to have an inexperienced center, which increases the "value" of the guards against the pass rush, which to me means getting Scherff , (if he's there of course) is a no brainer. Scherff next to GRob in the running game means we're coming left and you ain't stopping us! Finally, after we get one of the three, we need at least one more good ol from this draft, as we also desperately need quality depth along the oline.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
If we stay at #10 I want Snead to pick BAP. Even if it's defense or Todd Gurley. I'm scared we will reach for NEED! But you know what? [/QUOTE]

will you be disappointed if Sneads bpa is actually an olinemen at 10? I will not as I trust snead but.. i think your right.....we may be in for a surprise. .....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

And as many people like to post that you don't draft a guard at 10, but if he's an all pro for the next dozen years that actually sounds refreshing to me.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Scherff has the highest floor, probably not a OLT at the next level. Flowers has the highest ceiling, has the potential to play OLT, most likely an ORT. Peat has a high floor and is the most likely to be an OLT in the NFL for a full career. Doesn't have the ceiling of Flowers, and has a bit more potential to bust out than Scherff. Doubt he'd make a good guard, and not sure he'd be comfortable or effective on the right side.

All IMO, of course.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
And as many people like to post that you don't draft a guard at 10, but if he's an all pro for the next dozen years that actually sounds refreshing to me.
Coach, I totally agree----adding an elite ol to our weakest unit on the team, regardless of where he is taken, improves the team immensely, and gets us in the playoff hunt. If we pass on the best olineman in this draft to improve another position makes no sense to me. And for the BPA argument as it applied to A Donald last year, I'd like to add, that we took the BPBPA----best pro bowl player available. The biggest bang for our buck from this draft is fixing the ol-----fixing the ol makes the qb better, makes the receivers better, makes the rb better-----in essence, the whole offense/team gets better.

jjab360

Legend
Peat is my favorite. He's a 21 year old true left tackle who could play right tackle too. I've been watching Peat's tape since 2013. Yet, I might not pull the trigger on Peat at #10. Why? I think he might be that guy who retires after 3 or 4 years to avoid multiple concussionso_O . He may be that Stanford guy who has unbelievable physical ability and size, but lacks a love of the game. I hope the Ram's detectives dig deep into Peat's psyche before they draft him.
Basis for any of this being?

V3

Hall of Fame
The more I watch these O lineman, the more I want to take a different position like WR, RB, or CB. They just aren't anything special, IMO. The only reason anyone should take an OG or RT in the top 10 is if they are really something special or you're a pass-heavy team like GB, NO, etc. We aren't pass heavy and these prospects aren't special.