Scheme Dream: Coples Can’t Wait to Return to 4-3 Front

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/11/scheme-dream-coples-cant-wait-to-return-to-4-3-front/

The 16th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft is ready to make some noise this year.

That’s because Quinton Coples is back where he belongs. After spending his entire career in a 3-4, Coples is finally back in his favored scheme with the Rams.

The North Carolina product told Mark Whicker of the Los Angeles Daily News that he’s far more comfortable in a 4-3 front than a 3-4 one:

“(Playing in the Rams’ 4-3 front is) an opportunity to put my hand in the dirt and get after the quarterback again, I’m going back to what I did in college. This is a great defensive front. There’s always somebody who can go in there and do just as good as you. That’s a blessing in disguise.”

It’ll only help Coples’ case to have buddies on the Rams’ roster. He played with two players on the roster at UNC — Robert Quinn and Cam Thomas — during his time as a Tarheel.

They’ll all team up to get after quarterbacks instead of dropping back in coverage — something Coples admitted he did not enjoy in his stops with the Jets and Dolphins.

“The toughest thing about guarding receivers and running backs and tight ends is knowing where your help is. The eyes and the feet go together. Asking me to cover was a crazy situation, but once I understood that, I just needed to be an athlete. A lot of people thought it was my job to get sacks and it wasn’t. I did a lot more covering.”

It’s his job to collect sacks now. As part of the Rams’ deep rotation, perhaps Coples can regain the form that made his such a touted prospect four years ago.
**************************************************************************************
Maybe I'm still a little drunk from Rams43's Kool-Aid party the other night,but
I have a feeling Coples' is going fit in nicely.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I can't wait either, still massively stupid to draft a 4-3 end/tackle and put him in a 3-4.stand up role.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just one, of what could be, many pleasant surprises. Gives us reason to get excited.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah I am in the same camp excited to see Coples in this scheme, surrounded by talent along our line.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Jets and Dolphins are going to be wondering where in the hell was this guy the last two years!!!!!!!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
image.png

Can confirm 4-3 defense. However, Coples had a different role in their defense and played inside a lot. They also standup DTs when they play zone. So he wasn't completely playing his game. We will see what happens but I'm personally more excited to see what Easley brings to the table.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm excited to see him in a standard 4-3 as well. But it is good to remember this is a guy who quit in his last year of college. He has a history of not playing up to his considerable talent.

Hope he gives us one great year. Just that for now.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Greg Williams is drooling about his options on the DL with the addition of Coples and Easley. Adding 1st round talent as depth is a luxury most teams do not have. He can rotate all these guys and keep them all fresh. If anyone is underperforming or not going 110% they will get pushed aside quickly. I'm imagining they will all feed off each other and compete for playing time, it should be a great group to watch.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coples and Easley both have to realize that the Rams are their last chance to make it in the NFL. they don't perform here and they will be looking for a new career.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Coples and Easley both have to realize that the Rams are their last chance to make it in the NFL. they don't perform here and they will be looking for a new career.

I hear the CFL pays well, even with the exchange rate. :ROFLMAO:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
View attachment 14120
Can confirm 4-3 defense. However, Coples had a different role in their defense and played inside a lot. They also standup DTs when they play zone. So he wasn't completely playing his game. We will see what happens but I'm personally more excited to see what Easley brings to the table.
I hope our scheme works well for him, especially against the Cheatriots!!