Schefter: Rams focusing on lower-profile candidates to replace Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams focusing on lower-profile candidates to replace Jeff Fisher

Adam Schefter

While much of the speculation related to the Los Angeles Rams' head-coaching search has been centered on high-profile names such as Jon Gruden and Jim Harbaugh, the team's focus so far has been on several NFL assistant coaches, league sources told ESPN.

The Rams have looked into Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn, who square off Saturday in Buffalo, as well as offensive coordinators Josh McDaniels of the Patriots and Kyle Shanahan of the Falcons, sources said.

he Rams have cast a wide net to find a replacement for the fired Jeff Fisher, and are not zeroing in on the more popular coaching candidates.

Earlier this week, Gruden said that he's "very happy doing what I'm doing" as an analyst on ESPN's Monday Night Football.

"Right now, I have no intentions of coaching," Gruden said on ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio show. "I really enjoy what I'm doing and I feel like I'm really close to the fire and I'm getting plenty of satisfaction out of doing what I'm doing."

Harbaugh said earlier this month at the team's annual banquet that he had no intentions of leaving the Michigan Wolverines.

"I'm not leaving Michigan," Harbaugh said. "I'm not even considering it."

[www.espn.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Payton, loved Rivera back in 2006 and he's done really well at Carolina, but why is for some reason I want a young offensive coach to grow with Goff? Payton most likely best fit, but he has not had a winning season in 3 years, but it seems like a great match and I would be shocked if Rivera leaves Carolina and I believe he would cost more.

I truly believe owner Tom Benson does not want to pay the rest of Payton's salary so a future pick in 2018 will get it done, for Rivera, it would cost more IMHO.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The Way We Hear It: Kyle Shanahan is a frontrunner for the Rams job
http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...an-is-a-frontrunner-for-the-rams-job/ave8sq1/

According to our sources, unlike Jacksonville and the Bills, the Rams' head-coaching search is likely to be much more protracted and involve a number of top candidates.

The Way We Hear It, that search will absolutely not involve Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll, in spite of what a number of wishful thinkers continue to write for various other outlets.

We have not spoken directly to Harbaugh but we do know that his love affair with the University of Michigan is genuine. While it would not be at all surprising to see him take a run at another Super Bowl down the road, he is definitely not going anywhere before beating Ohio State, winning Big Ten Championships and taking a real run at a national title with his beloved Maize and Blue.

Harbaugh has plenty of time left for the NFL, but it won’t be coming any time soon.

Carroll is perfectly content in Seattle, under contract through 2019 on a deal he just extended this past summer, and considering the Raiders got two first-round picks, two second-rounders and $8 million for Jon Gruden 15 years ago, what exactly do you think Carroll would cost the Rams, who don’t have a one or a three in 2017 thanks to the Jared Goff deal?

What we are hearing right now is that the early leader in the clubhouse for the Rams job is Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Shallow as it may seem, Shanahan is young, good-looking and energetic, which will be job requirements in Los Angeles.

More importantly, he has impeccable coaching bloodlines from his Super Bowl winning dad. At the age of 37, he already is one of the most experienced offensive coordinators in the league, having run the show in Houston, Washington, Cleveland and now Atlanta. He also has a reputation as the kind of quarterback whisperer that Goff badly needs.

Shanahan happens to be represented by Marvin Demoff, whose son Kevin is in his fifth season as Executive V.P. Football Operations and COO of the Rams, so negotiations can be conducted at the dinner table over the holidays with no fear of tampering violations going public.

We’re not accusing, we’re just saying.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Payton has the ability to trump their search. His hiring is really a no-brainer provided the Saints aren't holding out for big pick compensation. But honestly even if they had to give up a pick or two in order to get the right guy in place it would be a sweeping and franchise-changing hire that would pay dividends for a long time.

If he falls through, then yeah, Shanny Jr is the top name, but he has to compete with those other hot coordinators that get brought in. From there it's who comes in most prepared and wows the Rams.

Once again, we need to be rooting for Atlanta. If they win that 2 seed the Rams should be able to interview most of the top guys on the offensive side of things.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Shallow as it may seem, Shanahan is young, good-looking and energetic, which will be job requirements in Los Angeles.

Perfect Hollywood male sex symbol,sign Shanahan!

Bruce2980

Starter
Ian Rappoport keeps hyping Asshole Face...Ron Rivera...with Norv coming with him...

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/812661179441094656

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/812653004990087168

Payton may have auditioned when he put 50 points and 550 yards on us....

And seriously...I don't EVER REMEMBER giving up 550 yards....So, I'm still a lil ticked at Payton...But he was doing his job...Doing it well too...

And, I'm not sure a big splash = best candidate

You have to give a lot of that credit to the refs and their consistency in not calling any of the blatant holding on their big plays, many of which happened right in front of the so called refs. Haven't been impressed with their defense since you know who got banned from the NFL.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'm not into Payton as an option. He might be able to get the offense going but I think it'd be at the expense of our D. He's not balanced on both sides of the ball imo.

FRO

Legend
Mike Smith had 5 winning seasons in 7 years as HC. He is a great defensive coordinator and 2 of the OCs he hired went on to be HCs. To me that is the solid type of hire you need. Pair that guy with a quality GM.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the effort they showed today the whole roster could be blown up if the right guy is hired . I feel for Donald and Tree because they continue to play thier butt off while the rest go through the motions . Gurley has lost interest in playing hard in my opinion. Totally disgusted after today

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to start another semester next month, and I am purposefully not going to live an die with what happens this off-season. I'll check in here every once in a while to get the pulse of what's going on, but life is too short to live and die with this team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Right. Because John Robinson was such a heart throb.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike Smith had 5 winning seasons in 7 years as HC. He is a great defensive coordinator and 2 of the OCs he hired went on to be HCs. To me that is the solid type of hire you need. Pair that guy with a quality GM.

I totally disagree on Smith, he's an okay DC and he's 1-4 in post season too. His last two years were 4-12 & 6-10, he's not what the Rams need IMHO and would be a total disaster again JMHO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't think HC's should be allowed to be traded like players and draft picks.
Just my 2 cents

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whoever it is, patience needs to be preached. He'll have to totally blow up the offense. I know its not realistic but Goff and Gurley are the only players I would keep. Even with that I would give Mannion a very close look.

I know we have to be committed to Goff. We have no choice. But we still don't know what we have in him. Heck, if Gurley didn't have that spectacular rookie season we'd probably be mulling over our options there too. Its just been all bad the whole season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know its not realistic but Goff and Gurley are the only players I would keep. Even with that I would give Mannion a very close look.
Man....I'd keep an evil eye on both of those guys...Esp. Goff....and Gurley too...

Effort is a mutha fucker....if you don't have it, what kind of player are you?