Schefter: Marrone to be hired by Jaguars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometimes the best hires are the ones that are unassuming....Mike McCarthy was named Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers after being offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers after the team went 4-12...There have been others in the past, Marv Levy (Bills), Tom Flores (Raiders), John Harbaugh (Ravens) & how many felt that Mike Mularkey was a colossal mistake last year? I know I sure did.

The Jaguars are very, very close and I'm sure they wanted to keep Defensive Coordinator Todd Walsh in place and this defense is on the cusp of being an upper echelon defense. Now will Marrone & Nathaniel Hackett be able to get the offense on track? I believe Marrone will keep Hackett in place and the addition to Tom Coughlin as VP of Football Operations will be popular with the masses.

NFL is a copycat league and Shad Khan is copying the Titans when they stayed the course with Mularkey and I still believe Blake Bortles can be fixed, he was very good in 2015 and I'm sure they will bring in a QB Coach and OL Coach as the running game did seem to pick up speed in the final two games under Marrone....We shall see how this plays out, however I don't feel it's a bad hire, i just feel the Jaguars wanted to see if they could be the Titans of 2017.

As to what happen in Buffalo, he overplayed his hand, he felt he would be hired with all the openings and he was wrong, he's not the first and won't be the last. Mularkey did the exact same thing in Buffalo back in 2005.

Last edited:

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Sometimes the best hires are the ones that are unassuming....Mike McCarthy was named Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers after being offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers after the team went 4-12...There have been others in the past, Marv Levy (Bills), Tom Flores (Raiders), John Harbaugh (Ravens) & how many felt that Mike Mularkey was a colossal mistake last year? I know I sure did.

The Jaguars are very, very close and I'm sure they wanted to keep Defensive Coordinator Todd Walsh in place and this defense is on the cusp of being an upper echelon defense. Now will Marrone & Nathaniel Hackett be able to get the offense on track? I believe Marrone will keep Hackett in place and the addition to Tom Coughlin as VP of Football Operations will be popular with the masses.

NFL is a copycat league and Shad Khan is copying the Titans when they stayed the course with Mularkey and I still believe Blake Bortles can be fixed, he was very good in 2015 and I'm sure they will bring in a QB Coach and OL Coach as the running game did seem to pick up speed in the final two games under Marrone....We shall see how this plays out, however I don't feel it's a bad hire, i just feel the Jaguars wanted to see if they could be the Titans of 2017.

As to what happen in Buffalo, he overplayed his hand, he felt he would be hired with all the openings and he was wrong, he's not the first and won't be the last. Mularkey did the exact same thing in Buffalo back in 2005.
"Very, very close" to what? Jags were 3-13 in a horrible division and probably don't have a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Very, very close" to what? Jags were 3-13 in a horrible division and probably don't have a QB.

I think they do have a QB. They have quite a bit of talent. Just gotta find the coach who can put it all together.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Their games were very competitive and Bortles was good last season so I would not discount Bortles just yet. Again look at the talent, they could be a quick turnaround next season.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I think they do have a QB. They have quite a bit of talent. Just gotta find the coach who can put it all together.
Bortles was over-drafted, has poor mechanics and has regressed in every possible way.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bortles was over-drafted, has poor mechanics and has regressed in every possible way.

35 TD passes in 2015 and 310 rushing yards with 2 TD's, that is not horrendous. He still could be very good IMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Over-drafted isn't relevant at this point. His mechanics noticeably regressed this year after he fixed them prior to 2015. He knew that (but couldn't fix it during the season) and is doing what it takes to solve the problem. He also looked much better after Marrone and Hackett took over. He had a 66% completion percentage, 8.1 YPA, and a 99.8 QB Rating in the two games with Marrone and Hackett. and those two games came against the 9-7 Titans and 8-8 Colts. So it wasn't against total pushovers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
35 TD passes in 2015 and 310 rushing yards with 2 TD's, that is not horrendous. He still could be very good IMHO.
But Coach, didn't Nick Foles have a heckuva year in Philly? Fools gold stats maybe....(or Foles gold, as it were...:shades:)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But Coach, didn't Nick Foles have a heckuva year in Philly? Fools gold stats maybe....(or Foles gold, as it were...:shades:)

Foles sure looked a hell of a lot better under Andy Reid this year.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Over-drafted isn't relevant at this point. His mechanics noticeably regressed this year after he fixed them prior to 2015. He knew that (but couldn't fix it during the season) and is doing what it takes to solve the problem. He also looked much better after Marrone and Hackett took over. He had a 66% completion percentage, 8.1 YPA, and a 99.8 QB Rating in the two games with Marrone and Hackett. and those two games came against the 9-7 Titans and 8-8 Colts. So it wasn't against total pushovers.
To me, he's a back foot chucker with limited upside. Actually hope he improves since you're so bullish on both he AND Goff. ;)

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why they'll always be terrible. Doug Marrone quit on the Bills when he coached them. You have 5-6 better coaching options out there.

I can't really blame him for that. If you take a job, realize its a shitshow, and you happen have an out in your contract....would you just sit there and be shat on? I know for a fact the Bills wouldnt have kept him on if the shoe was on the other foot.

I mean, none of us know the specifics, but I certainly can't put it past Buffalo to be a nightmare organization. Look at all the disfunction we hear about here....

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Good for jags. Marrone wasn't number 1 on my list but I think he's an okay coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me, he's a back foot chucker with limited upside. Actually hope he improves since you're so bullish on both he AND Goff. ;)

That's not really the issue. The issue was in his throwing base. It was a problem of his that I pointed out in college. It's why I recommended that whoever drafts him sit him as a rookie and get his mechanics fixed.

I disagree about his upside, though. Man threw for 4000+ yards and 35 TDs in his second year in the NFL. He has the potential to be a Big Ben type player if he gets his mechanics fixed and is coached well.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My local sports radio show here in Orlando had something to say about what Khan and Jax did yesterday.

Apparently... the GM in Jax was recently given an extension or something. He's the decision maker. Anyway, now he's going to have to find a way to take direction from Tom C. The radio guy has some inside knowledge of the Jags... he says that the addition of Tom C is going to create major dysfunction in the front office. Khan brought him back for the fans who remember him from the old days coaching there. The radio guy thinks that Tom C won't really be doing anything... he'll just be a imaginary VP with no real authority with decisions. If that's not the case, then he thinks the whole thing will be a dysfunctional disaster.

I think I got most of what he said communicated in my best caveman style. I found his take on adding Tom very interesting. He doesn't think Khan has a fucking clue and is turning the front office into a clown show.