Schefter has Pead as his 2013 Breakout Player

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Richardson quickly became a surprise contributor for the Rams during his rookie season, putting up a combined 638 yards rushing and receiving. He stands to see even more action next season, possibly as St. Louis’ No. 1 back.

But it’s Pead who might be in line for a meteoric rise. [hil]During Peter King’s NFL combine tweetup, ESPN’s Adam Schefter pegged Pead as his pick for 2013′s breakout player[/hil], assuming Jackson departed in free agency. Pead missed OTAs, then played just 42 snaps last year, though he averaged 5.4 yards per carry and 5.3 yards per catch in that very limited duty (10 rushes and three receptions, respectively).

<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/26/steven-jacksons-departure-makes-sense-for-him-and-the-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/26/steven-jac ... -the-rams/</a>

TomSlick

UDFA
Well, to be honest, it wouldn't take much to consider 2013 a "breakout" season for Pead. His contributions in 2012 were minimal. However, I have high hopes for the young man and expect him to make some large strides forward this season. A year of learning the playbook and mini camps should help him settle into the position. Last year, he just seemed a little too anxious.

Who knows, Jackson not being around might help him focus on his responsibilities. Kind of like at work, when the "bigdog" flees to another company, you step up because "YOU ARE NOW THE GO-TO GUY".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mark my words. Isaiah Pead is going to be a beast for us this year. Not good, not better then last year, not "improved." He's going to be a straight up beast, and he'll top well over 1000 yards. Even with Richardson splitting time.

February 28, 2013 -- 3:04 PM EST.

MARK 'EM.

TomSlick

UDFA
X said:
Mark my words. Isaiah Pead is going to be a beast for us this year. Not good, not better then last year, not "improved." He's going to be a straight up beast, and he'll top well over 1000 yards. Even with Richardson splitting time.

MARK 'EM.

lol, OK, I'm not going to argue the point. Sounds good to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TomSlick said:
X said:

MARK 'EM.

lol, OK, I'm not going to argue the point. Sounds good to me.
Did you mark them yet?

psd-yellow-highlighter-pen-icon.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:

MARK 'EM.

Thems some purdy confident and bold statements. Consider them "marked". Honestly, I can see it happening and hope it does. A part of me thinks it may be good for all parties if SJax moves on. Then again, it will be hard watching SJ running over suckers wearing another uniform.

jap

Legend
Last spring Isaiah was said to be the closest thing to a Marshall Faulk clone the Rams had considered for some time. Granted, it is unlikely he truly has Marshall-caliber hands, who reportedly was good enough to play as a star NFL receiver. Nevertheless, Isaiah does have an assortment of electric moves and lightening quick change of direction skills as well as take-it-to-the-house speed.

It would help for Pead to do some serious muscling up this off-season, ideally striking a balance that maximizes muscle without compromising speed/quickness. Working directly with Sam & the receivers on pass routes wouldn't hurt either. (Marshall used to work with the wide-outs, as well as the OL. Hell!, Marshall knew where EVERYONE was supposed to line up and what they were supposed to do!!! :cool: )

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
X said:

MARK 'EM.

First things first, he's gotta work on his carrying, as does Richardson to get enough touches to get 1K. And SJ obviously has to depart (please stay SJ)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I expect Pead to move AHEAD of DR,but NOT SJ if he stays.
Numbers ? that's X's deal.
If he doesn't do that his time here is all but over.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Pead will have a good year, the talent is obviously there, and he'll be up to speed. I'm not worried about him or Richardson running. I'm mostly worried about the hit we'll take in Pass Protection without Jackson. We'll probably run better overall with young blood honestly.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:

MARK 'EM.
Marked!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
rams24/7 said:
X said:

MARK 'EM.

First things first, he's gotta work on his carrying, as does Richardson to get enough touches to get 1K. And SJ obviously has to depart (please stay SJ)

Yeah - I'm not willing to give up on the idea of my SJ retiring as a Ram. I would never forsake my Rams for any player. I honestly think he helps us more than anyone over the next couple seasons if we can make a workable contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
rams24/7 said:
X said:

MARK 'EM.

Yeah - I'm not willing to give up on the idea of my SJ retiring as a Ram. I would never forsake my Rams for any player. I honestly think he helps us more than anyone over the next couple seasons if we can make a workable contract.
Yeah, obviously my comments on Pead are predicated on Jackson leaving. And to be honest, I really don't see how the two are going to come to a mutual agreement. There's going to be a demand for Jackson this year, and he's gonna have to weigh the chances of going to a SB-ready team against being a carry-sharing RB for the Rams. His loyalties are strong, there's no doubt about that. But at this point, there are some things that I'm sure are being taken into consideration by him. Namely his window closing, and being able to capitalize on one more big contract before he hangs up his cleats.

Nothing would please me more if we're able to retain him. I just really have my doubts at this point. :cry:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
rams24/7 said:
X said:

MARK 'EM.

Yeah, obviously my comments on Pead are predicated on Jackson leaving. And to be honest, I really don't see how the two are going to come to a mutual agreement. There's going to be a demand for Jackson this year, and he's gonna have to weigh the chances of going to a SB-ready team against being a carry-sharing RB for the Rams. His loyalties are strong, there's no doubt about that. But at this point, there are some things that I'm sure are being taken into consideration by him. Namely his window closing, and being able to capitalize on one more big contract before he hangs up his cleats.

Nothing would please me more if we're able to retain him. I just really have my doubts at this point. :cry:

I know man. It's tough. I'll just sit here with my hopes and dreams. Just wish we could have given him a better team over all those years of being our true warrior. I watch him pick up some of those blitzers and wonder how badly crushed our QBs would have been if it weren't for his ability to stuff the guy coming straight through our piss poor line. Add to that the times he just refused to be a victim and how tough he played the game. Undying respect I have. There's your Yoda reference from me. Don't expect it very often.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
X said:

MARK 'EM.

Im gonna draft pead as one of my "sleeper" picks in fantasy.... If i lose im blaming you, lmao, jk. But ive head fish/snead talk about him like he is gonna be the guy (actually since we drafted him), we will see and i hope so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Schefter could definitely be right. I've been saying for awhile that people were too quick to dismiss and give up on Pead. When he got in the game last year, he actually looked quite good running the ball. He seemed to get over the indecisiveness that plagued him during the preseason. I think both him and D-Rich have the potential to have strong years.

Pead also looked very dangerous as a pass catcher. Sam just barely overthrew him on that bomb last year when he split out wide against SF...I believe.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:

MARK 'EM.
So do I use a magic marker or something?

I actually agree with you. I know it was limited action, but Pead looked really good at the end of the year. He was reading the play well, hitting the hole well and making good cutbacks when the opportunity arose for it. He won't bruise anyone like Jackson did. But I would feel comfortable with Pead as 1A and Ganaway as our bruising guy with DR as the third down back.