Scenario: Rams acquire a veteran QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams are way under the cap from what ive seen reported. Id be ok with Cutler because of his age
As for Cook, I'd rather roll with Mannion

I have seen lots of Cook and while I don't think he is a future star, I believe he can be a solid middle of the pack QB. I don't like his inconsistency but he still makes the reads down field and tries to keep play's alive, but he still knows when to run. He was short on receivers this past year and it held him back IMO.

As for Mannion, I am at a loss because I never saw him play other than highlights. Jrry seems pretty adamant that he won't ever be a good starter though. I have been meaning to ask him about specifics and at some point try to watch some of him in action. I just figure if Cook gets a late first round grade or early second he probably gets the edge over Mannion.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
With the top 3 QB's gone (Goff, Wentz, Lynch & Cook)

Cutler / Brees
Foles
Mannion

Despite the smokescreen saying he's the starter in 2016 you'd have to let Keenum walk - the vet being Cutler/Bree's with Foles backing up

* if we have plans for a future franchise QB this year is the year - but in Jrry's scenario this is what I think you'd need to do:

In 2017 you move Mannion into #2 backup with Cutler/Brees in their last year and cut loose Foles and then you gotta have Kaaya now

image.jpg

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xd80dwC7lqk

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
This right here, IMO, trade with the Giants at 10, they will be looking to trade down as they target a running back and need picks and IMO the Rams have to get ahead of the Eagles and most likely end up with Lynch.

I don't think there is a veteran QB to be had and I still embrace the idea of Chase Daniels as a free agent trade or release Foles let Daniels and Keenum battle it out and trade the lose, now that is a trade I know a team will make and then trade up and draft Lynch or if one of the others slip.

I look at it this way, the Rams have tried the trade route now they need to look at free agency and follow the formula that has worked best for Fisher & Snead and that's the draft and IMO I have good feelings about Goff, Wentz and Lynch and one of them must end up in Horns.

Den I totally agree, w/ our defense and run game now is the time to be all in! These 3 QBs prospects I really think will pan out. Though Lynch imho is slightly a tier below the other 2. This QB draft class will be one people will look back on and say was better than we realized at the time. Dare I say similar to Blake Bortles currently

Agreed Den. Rams need a guy they can build around for the future and moving up is something they can do. I can't remember a draft where I liked the top 3 QBs as much as I do this year. THIS is the draft to get it done and it's also good timing to allow for that QB they draft to be ready to hit his third year stride in 2019 when they open the new stadium.

No more settling, or screwing around with castoffs from other teams. Get your guy.

The only concern I have is whether 10 overall is high enough. If someone moves up to 1 overall to get their QB it's on man. Then Cleveland goes QB at 2 and all of a sudden 10 doesn't look nearly good enough, not even close. This is why I'd be talking with the Titans about 1 overall. I would move up to 1 overall and draft Goff. I don't care if I have to give up our first round pick in 2017 and 2018, I would do it. Goff is going to be an excellent QB in this league and the Rams are going to win a lot of games with him and Gurley in the backfield. Just do it IMO.

110% agree, its time to push all our chips into the middle. The funny thing is w/ Snead & Fisher I have this calming confidant feeling they will get it done. Every draft they have made great moves up and down the draft board. And I don't think they want to be Wagner mad again at the most important position.
Merlin I agree, the top 3 QBs will end up going in the top 7-8 picks. So either we jump to #1 or 3-5 to make sure we get the guy we want & NEED!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's certainly an option. But I don't think Detroit will be looking to trade him. He finished strong in Cooter's offense and they kept Caldwell around for another year.
Agreed. Hence why I used "dream" in my reasoning. With Chicago having tons of cap room, I don't see them unloading Cutler either. But, you never know. Sadly, my reality is that the Rams wont get Goff or Wentz or trade for Cutler/Stafford/Brees.
Trying to warm up to Lynch as that may be the only attainable option

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is a big big payday due in the near future................ that's NOT positive and it will cost dearly :death:...going down this path of trading away your future top draft selections for a yet to be NFL known commodity.

I can not travel with you guys on this path. I have NO issues in dealing away a couple of future second day & third day draft selections for a few future Ram drafts to move up to reach that 3rd best QB but I would refuse the other path where I mortgage the Rams team future on one future prospect :cautious:. I still believe in the total 53 player team here. I grant you that the QB position is special.

Thus I hold Fisher 100% responsible here for this very big BIG problem that posters here have identified. Fisher should have been busy drafting & developing youthful QB's each & every draft since his arrival 2012. So he would not be in this very predicament. Now just before Fisher losses his gig as the Rams HC ....Fisher goes for the big hail mary plan & if it fails he easily jump-ships & this Ram team is left in a disastrous position for its long term losing future.:rant:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is a big big payday due in the near future................ that's NOT positive and it will cost dearly :death:...going down this path of trading away your future top draft selections for a yet to be NFL known commodity.

I can not travel with you guys on this path. I have NO issues in dealing away a couple of future second day & third day draft selections for a few future Ram drafts to move up to reach that 3rd best QB but I would refuse the other path where I mortgage the Rams team future on one future prospect :cautious:. I still believe in the total 53 player team here. I grant you that the QB position is special.

Thus I hold Fisher 100% responsible here for this very big BIG problem that posters here have identified. Fisher should have been busy drafting & developing youthful QB's each & every draft since his arrival 2012. So he would not be in this very predicament. Now just before Fisher losses his gig as the Rams HC ....Fisher goes for the big hail mary plan & if it fails he easily jump-ships & this Ram team is left in a disastrous position for its long term losing future.:rant:

I don't see Fisher/Snead trading away the future like that. They have most of the ammo to move up to grab Lynch already - their first and Philly's 2nd. Probably take a future 3rd or so to move up in front of San Fran.That's doable - and many of us figured the 2nd the Rams got for Bradford was earmarked for a trade up anyway. Much like the Rams try to avoid pushing cap space into future seasons, I haven't seen anything to make me think they would want to trade high picks from future years either.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Lynch a lot. Immense ceiling and 5 years from now I think he will range somewhere from solid to great. And I am good with the Rams moving up into the top 10 for him.

Just saying if it were me, I would go all the way to 1 and take Goff. He is the guy I want to build around and I do not see enormous risk in moving up for him.

No guts no glory. If I am going to move up I personally prefer to roll the dice on a prospect I covet. Just my style man. @BonifayRam makes great sense, and I am sure Snead would agree. But if it were me, I would get all wild and crazy with that 1 overall pick now and be in the MFing drivers seat for the QB of my choice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. Hence why I used "dream" in my reasoning. With Chicago having tons of cap room, I don't see them unloading Cutler either. But, you never know. Sadly, my reality is that the Rams wont get Goff or Wentz or trade for Cutler/Stafford/Brees.
Trying to warm up to Lynch as that may be the only attainable option

How about Rivers? I'd love that. I think the chances are 0%. But with San Diego being at #4, you never know.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
How about Rivers? I'd love that. I think the chances are 0%. But with San Diego being at #4, you never know.
I think there's less of a chance of that happening.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If they want Goff or Wentz trade up and get them. If not make what moves needed to secure Lynch. Don't worry about the cost.
Look at Washington, traded away the future and only made the playoffs twice while the team that received the bounty of picks is still below .500 cause they don;t have a Quarterback.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they want Goff or Wentz trade up and get them. If not make what moves needed to secure Lynch. Don't worry about the cost.
Look at Washington, traded away the future and only made the playoffs twice while the team that received the bounty of picks is still below .500 cause they don;t have a Quarterback.

^ This!

Go get your QB, whichever one you covet. The example above is a great one. So is the Giants and Chargers trade for Manning, where many thought the Chargers made out big time. But the Giants identified him as their guy and went and got him.

Hit on a QB and you have changed your team's fortunes for a decade or more. Quit screwin around Les!!! Move the F up and get er done!!!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
^ This!

Go get your QB, whichever one you covet. The example above is a great one. So is the Giants and Chargers trade for Manning, where many thought the Chargers made out big time. But the Giants identified him as their guy and went and got him.

Hit on a QB and you have changed your team's fortunes for a decade or more. Quit screwin around Les!!! Move the F up and get er done!!!!!
And they didn't hit on their QB, but were smart enough to stay true to their board, and also draft Cousins. Got to give them credit for that. Different coaching staff too, which allowed them to move away from RGME.

By the way, I agree with the point, get your guy. It doesn't always work out, but sometimes you have to take that leap.

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado
Option #2 Trade for either Brees or Cutler, draft the WR or BPA and take a day 2 QB (Prescott, Brissett, Cardale).

#2 gives the most flexibility and the strongest chance to build a balanced competitive team now while still looking toward the future.