Say it ain't so Kurt Warner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hopefully he goes in the HOF as a Ram and not a Cardinal.

I don't believe you go in as a "Ram" or "Cardnal" or "Steeler" etc. I think you just go in or not.
If you did, I would imagine as he played for more than one team, they'd let him pick which team.
Obviously it would not be us.

moklerman

Warner-phile
While Kurt did have his greatest success as a Ram, he did start more games and throw more passes as a Cardinal. Not to mention, the Cardinals begged him to come back and play some more so he got to go out on his terms.

PhxRam

While Kurt did have his greatest success as a Ram, he did start more games and throw more passes as a Cardinal. Not to mention, the Cardinals begged him to come back and play some more so he got to go out on his terms.

After that vicious hit he took, I am glad he made it out at all.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah, some Saint made some money on that one. Legal hit, but totally unnecessary.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Wasnt it reported as Warner being a named target at one time?
If the rumors are to be believed. I guess the suspensions were more than rumors but yeah, that game was one of the damning examples.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
This has been pretty obvious for the past decade. I don't really blame him. I mean we all remember what went down, and I don't hold him OR the Rams responsible. It was just time to part ways with the condition his thumb was in, and with Marc nipping at his heals. It's a business, and emotional decisions have to be made.

The Cardinals gave him a second (3rd I guess) chance when no one else in the league would. That's got to mean a lot to a man.

moklerman

Warner-phile
As Jrry32 said, it wasn't the decision to move on, it was how the situation was handled. Rams certainly deserve blame.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Pretty sure this front office would be willing to fix the damage that past dysfunctional FO did, but im sure that isn't good enough for Kurt. With that being said my firepit sure enjoyed his jersey tonight!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What's the guy supposed to say? he still does broadcast work for the Cards, lives in Zona,the big Q will be WHO does he have present him at his HOF induction? I'll bet it's DV and maybe even Martz, there is zero doubt in my mind the way he left was as much him and his wife as Martz and without what Martz taught him ,IMO NO HOF,UC ?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
On a positive note...

When the Rams make it back to the big dance, you know Kurt will be there supporting them. I just hope it's against the Pats.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In a way, I'm glad he was gone when I consider what Bulger went through. Warner went on to prove himself where no one could have with the Rams. Bulger got the major screwing though. He'll go down as not much when he could have been a QB of note or, dare I say, even great. He was sacked almost 3 times a game and he still had some very good seasons. HE should have left too.

The OL in AZ was worse than what Bulger played behind and I watched a lot of the games to keep an eye on Warner's career since he is one of my all time faves. I would have loved to have seen him finish out as a Ram and I can assure you that the Rams would ave won a lot more games than they did with Bulger.

One big reason for that.......courage in the pocket. Warner had it as much or more than any QB I can remember. Bulger did not have nearly enough of it.

In short I was NOT glad he was gone, I was mad that a stupid move like that was even made. Martz had complete control of the roster and I can tell you if I was the GM or the owner I would have never allowed that to happen despite what his contract said. It was the biggest mistake that group of idiots made and they made a lot of really stupid decisions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree with you... But...

He didn't start more than 10 games over 2002-2006 seasons (5yrs), on any team.

He wasn't exactly a sure thing on any roster, including AZ, until 2007-2009.

Heck even 2007 he only started 11 games.
Agree, he was on his way out in Az, they just could not find a QB since Leinart flamed out. And Warner did not get it back together until he started wearing gloves even when playing indoors. I think his hand injuries really affected his grip and he found out the gloves were a fix. That rejuvenated his career, unfortunatley he denied for years that his hand was a problem and that is why he was nearly run out of the league.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What's the guy supposed to say? he still does broadcast work for the Cards, lives in Zona,the big Q will be WHO does he have present him at his HOF induction? I'll bet it's DV and maybe even Martz, there is zero doubt in my mind the way he left was as much him and his wife as Martz and without what Martz taught him ,IMO NO HOF,UC ?

It'll be DV and I'd bet money on that. They are still close and Warner feels a great deal of appreciation to DV for giving him the chance and they are still a part of each others lives, even when Warner was in AZ.

It won't be Martz and I'd bet even more on that. Warner may have forgiven him for the shoddy treatment since Martz did have the fortitude to apologize but there is no way he is going to be presented by Martz. I'd bet all current and future ROD $ on that. Maybe there isn't any more bad blood but I doubt if there is NEAR enough love to have Martz do that.

If it isn't DV it could be one of his kids.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree, he was on his way out in Az, they just could not find a QB since Leinart flamed out. And Warner did not get it back together until he started wearing gloves even when playing indoors. I think his hand injuries really affected his grip and he found out the gloves were a fix. That rejuvenated his career, unfortunatley he denied for years that his hand was a problem and that is why he was nearly run out of the league.

He was on his way out with super coach denny green in charge. When whisenhunt came to town he couldn't keep Kurt off the field. At the beginning of the 2007 season Kurt was lights out in pre season. Then at the beginning of the season the whiz would bring Kurt on during games to kick start the cards offense. Playing leinart was probably a directive from their crappy owner. Whiz was doing back flips when leinart went down injured so he could put Kurt out there the whole game. He was lights out for the rest of his career.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He was on his way out with super coach denny green in charge. When whisenhunt came to town he couldn't keep Kurt off the field. At the beginning of the 2007 season Kurt was lights out in pre season. Then at the beginning of the season the whiz would bring Kurt on during games to kick start the cards offense. Playing leinart was probably a directive from their crappy owner. Whiz was doing back flips when leinart went down injured so he could put Kurt out there the whole game. He was lights out for the rest of his career.

Which doesn't refute what Philly said. Kurt started wearing the gloves after he got benched in '06. Leinart got to play a lot sooner than anyone expected because after Warner started off '06 by winning player of the week, his fumbling problems quickly resurfaced and made him unfit to start over the next month or so. Leinart was a rookie but Green was on the hot seat and had no choice. I don't even think it was so much that he was giving up on Warner but by starting rookie Leinart(who they never thought would fall to them at #10 so didn't even plan on having him), he might have a shot at saving his job. By starting a rookie, it usually gives a coach a bit of an excuse. And Leinart actually looked pretty good at times. The MNF game against Chicago the Cardinals special teams let slip away was actually a pretty good game for him. It led Green to lose his mind post game, but I digress. Leinart later put up 400+ yards against Minnesota.

He eventually got hurt and the Cardinals didn't want to take any risk and their season was over and Green was still on the way out by that time so Warner got to mop up the end of game 15 and start game 16. He had adopted the gloves and he tore it up. But in '07, new head coach Whisenhunt wasn't chomping at the bit to let him start. In fact, he named Leinart the starter as soon as he got there. Warner wasn't really a consideration. If his contract had been up in '06, I doubt the Cardinals would have even brought him back in '07. But once preseason started, Warner continued to show that the gloves were making a difference and Leinart quickly fell out of favor with Whisenhunt. His work ethic and attitude did not mesh with the new coach AT ALL.

But it's a big assumption to say that Green would have dumped Warner had he held onto his coaching job. If Green had seen that the gloves were making that much of a difference I think it's just as easy to speculate that Warner would have won his job back.

I will forever wonder what would have happened if things would have played out differently with the Rams. If they had decided to just move on after '02 instead of playing out the farce that eventually unfolded and saw Warner ride the bench most of the year and Bulger struggle but still keep his job. They cut Warner after the injury-riddled '02 and Shanahan gets him in Denver. I'm pretty sure he's said that he would have gone after Warner in favor of Plummer. If so, would Warner have adopted the gloves(because of the cold weather) back in '03? For a pretty good Denver team? A playoff caliber team with a good running game and decent o-line? It's a bit of a leap to think Warner might have worn the gloves back then but man, what a hypothetical scenario that creates.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It'll be DV and I'd bet money on that. They are still close and Warner feels a great deal of appreciation to DV for giving him the chance and they are still a part of each others lives, even when Warner was in AZ.

It won't be Martz and I'd bet even more on that. Warner may have forgiven him for the shoddy treatment since Martz did have the fortitude to apologize but there is no way he is going to be presented by Martz. I'd bet all current and future ROD $ on that. Maybe there isn't any more bad blood but I doubt if there is NEAR enough love to have Martz do that.

If it isn't DV it could be one of his kids.

I guess you KNOW how sexy that confidence is , but I'm willing to bet that Kurt as an act of Christian forgiveness has the Mad One be his presenter , say $5,000 ROD bucks,see I have these "inside" sources.:sneaky:

moklerman

Warner-phile
If DV's alive when(not if) Kurt goes in, it's DV. Martz is 2nd choice...at best. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner asked Haley or Faulk before he asks Martz.