Sapp is tapped

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... igs08.html

Sapp owes $6.7 million, files for bankruptcy

Retired defensive lineman Warren Sapp, 39, owes more than $6.7 million to creditors and back child support and alimony, according to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Sapp's $6.45 million in assets includes 240 pairs of Jordan athletic shoes worth almost $6,500. The four-time All-Pro reported losing Super Bowl and college national-championship rings.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Looks like he'll have to keep his comfortable day job as an analyst. Oh, the humanity.

:roll:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
Looks like he'll have to keep his comfortable day job as an analyst. Oh, the humanity.

Right? I dunno, man. I don't think I could ever get $6.7M in debt. If I had that much capital, I'd just go ahead and buy a $1M spread out in the country and chill. And who the hell needs that many shoes? Even if they were given to me like that, I'd just start chucking pairs. Guess I'm a little too down-to-earth to get caught up in that stuff.

And how do you get behind that far in child support & alimony with the career he has? Irresponsible. But the best part is "losing" those rings. I kinda like that. The ex probably wants that bling liquidated, but for whatever reason, they're nowhere to be found now. Smooth.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Memento said:

Right? I dunno, man. I don't think I could ever get $6.7M in debt. If I had that much capital, I'd just go ahead and buy a $1M spread out in the country and chill. And who the hell needs that many shoes? Even if they were given to me like that, I'd just start chucking pairs. Guess I'm a little too down-to-earth to get caught up in that stuff.

And how do you get behind that far in child support & alimony with the career he has? Irresponsible. But the best part is "losing" those rings. I kinda like that. The ex probably wants that bling liquidated, but for whatever reason, they're nowhere to be found now. Smooth.

I've never had a reason for getting more than three pairs of shoes; a pair of dress shoes, a pair of formal tennis shoes, and a pair of hiking boots has always been enough for me. 240 pairs of Air Jordans is just insane. Losing valuables that would mean so much to a person like me (a Super Bowl ring and a college national championship ring) is stupid. Owing that much in child support and alimony is, as you clearly stated, extremely irresponsible.

But the kicker for me is that he was a successful athlete and currently has a cushy job as a sports analyst - and yet he still can't pay off his debts. I'm struggling to find a second job to help me out, and I still haven't accumulated that much debt. I just can't believe that someone could waste that much money before they turned forty.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
There really needs to be a system for professional athletes to have a financial advisor once they turn pro. A lot of these stories are just sad. Now it also looks like NFL Network may let him go.

superfan24

Starter
lol I'm sure he really just "lost" those rings. I wonder how much he sold them for already.

steferfootball

Starter
JdashSTL said:
There really needs to be a system for professional athletes to have a financial advisor once they turn pro. A lot of these stories are just sad. Now it also looks like NFL Network may let him go.
Rookie symposium.

Apparently the NFLPA handed out fliers to all the nfl players during the lockout to help cope with not having a paycheck. One of the items on the list was to "reduce the size of your entourage." I think there are too many athletes out of touch with reality.

I find Sapp's story sad, but I don't feel bad for him.