Sando: Titus Young and the Slot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

yea...he wasn't a slot receiver mainly guys, that's just a label or assumption..

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/91219/around-the-nfc-west-titus-young-and-slot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... g-and-slot</a>

Titus Young has to earn a roster spot in St. Louis before he can affect the team's receiving rotation. And given Young's career to this point, that could be a long shot.

But if Young does stick around, might he give the Rams options from the slot? The team's current slot receiver, Danny Amendola, is scheduled to become a free agent. The Rams would ideally retain Amendola on a long-term deal, but questions about the receiver's durability could affect their thinking.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch explores the Young-as-insurance-for-Amendola angle Wednesday. That was my initial inclination when hearing the Rams had claimed Young off waivers from the Detroit Lions. But in looking up Young's production through ESPN Stats & Information, I noticed Young caught only six passes for 30 yards from the slot last season. In two NFL seasons, Young has run 56 routes from the slot and 759 routes from other places in the formation.

So, even though Young is on the smaller side at 5-foot-11 and 174 pounds, he hasn't projected as primarily a slot receiver to this point in his career. Of course, the Rams hope little about Young's career to this point applies to the receiver's future.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
yea...he wasn't a slot receiver mainly guys, that's just a label or assumption..

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/91219/around-the-nfc-west-titus-young-and-slot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... g-and-slot</a>

Titus Young has to earn a roster spot in St. Louis before he can affect the team's receiving rotation. And given Young's career to this point, that could be a long shot.

But if Young does stick around, might he give the Rams options from the slot? The team's current slot receiver, Danny Amendola, is scheduled to become a free agent. The Rams would ideally retain Amendola on a long-term deal, but questions about the receiver's durability could affect their thinking.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch explores the Young-as-insurance-for-Amendola angle Wednesday. That was my initial inclination when hearing the Rams had claimed Young off waivers from the Detroit Lions. But in looking up Young's production through ESPN Stats & Information, I noticed Young caught only six passes for 30 yards from the slot last season. In two NFL seasons, Young has run 56 routes from the slot and 759 routes from other places in the formation.

So, even though Young is on the smaller side at 5-foot-11 and 174 pounds, he hasn't projected as primarily a slot receiver to this point in his career. Of course, the Rams hope little about Young's career to this point applies to the receiver's future.

I think Pettis would be the first in line to play the slot if Danny couldn't be re-signed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Know who would make a good slot guy if Danny isn't re-signed?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:

Ya think? lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Ya think? lol
Just a crazy thought I had. lol.

How does Danny leaving alter your boards?

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
X said:

Ya think? lol

i want him even if danny is resigned. Percy Harvin 2.0

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Ya think? lol
Just a crazy thought I had. lol.

How does Danny leaving alter your boards?
I don't think we will let Danny get away. If he does, it would change my boards, or free agency, no doubt.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
iced said:
i want him even if danny is resigned. Percy Harvin 2.0

+1. I actually think he is quite a bit more explosive that Harvin, and I LOVED Percy when he came out. In the games I watch Austin, he just looked so much faster than everyone on the field. Dude is straight up lightning....

RamsNation

Rookie
If DA wants to much send him packing and draft Tavon at 16 or 22 idc.He is a pure playmaker and a great slot WR.I like Danny but he isn't reliable enough and plenty of guys smaller than him or same size play all year long.His style puts him in harms way,while that's admirable laying it out every play it ends up hurting the team when you miss extensive time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsNation said:
If DA wants to much send him packing and draft Tavon at 16 or 22 idc.He is a pure playmaker and a great slot WR.I like Danny but he isn't reliable enough and plenty of guys smaller than him or same size play all year long.His style puts him in harms way,while that's admirable laying it out every play it ends up hurting the team when you miss extensive time.
I agree with that, except for the "idc" part. I do care. Danny's a stud when healthy. But, like you said, he's not always in uniform. He plays like he's 6'4, 230 lbs. I love that about him. HE'S the one that doesn't care .. lol. It's gonna be a difficult decision for this team when it comes to his contract. He's not necessarily injury "prone", because he hasn't had the same injury twice. They were more or less fluke injuries, and he's played through some pain. You can't buy that kind of presence in the lockerroom. Guys won't be able to lay up in the tub with owies when Danny's out there playing with a cracked collarbone. You gotta weigh everything out when it comes to players like him.

But yeah, if it's a decision that they can't retain him, then one of those two 1st rounders should be used on Austin.

RamsNation

Rookie
^^^Yea exactly that's what I ment about the "idc" part I was saying idc if we draft him at 16 or 22.If DA is gone then we definitely need a guy like Austin.Picture this Chris Givens and Brian Quick as our 1 and 2 on the outside and Tavon Austin as our slot??Thats a very young but very talented group I think could be very formidable,obviously this is stating that Quick will come along this offseason and earns the starting position or at least high PT.

nighttrain

Legend
RamsNation said:
^^^Yea exactly that's what I ment about the "idc" part I was saying idc if we draft him at 16 or 22.If DA is gone then we definitely need a guy like Austin.Picture this Chris Givens and Brian Quick as our 1 and 2 on the outside and Tavon Austin as our slot??Thats a very young but very talented group I think could be very formidable,obviously this is stating that Quick will come along this offseason and earns the starting position or at least high PT.

i'm a big fan of Quick, but he better learn his routes, he and Young were both #2 picks and now are competing for that WR spot opposite Givens. A wake up shout to B Quick, it's a produce now league
train

jap

Legend
The interesting thing about Tavon is, despite his diminutive size, he's got some real toughness to him. That probably comes from playing running back, although Austin has already acknowledged he knows he won't be doing RB duties in the NFL. He also pulls off moves I don't recall ever seeing from other top elusive players, and that's saying a lot! Unfortunately, as of now we only have ten picks---at least until Les and Fish start playing, "Let's Make A Deal!" :cheese:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
The interesting thing about Tavon is, despite his diminutive size, he's got some real toughness to him. That probably comes from playing running back, although Austin has already acknowledged he knows he won't be doing RB duties in the NFL. He also pulls off moves I don't recall ever seeing from other top elusive players, and that's saying a lot! Unfortunately, as of now we only have ten picks---at least until Les and Fish start playing, "Let's Make A Deal!" :cheese:

I really like this guy. As you said, the moves he's got are unlike any other I've seen except maybe Faulk or Sanders... and I'm not comparing them as players, just the ability to cut and make people miss.

Where he ranks among other players (based on measurables) isn't a factor for me; dude is a sure fire hit as a weapon. A guaranteed contributor from day 1.

Rams need weapons? This guy is one.