Sando: Rams Defense Pre-Camp Analysis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Guard

UDFA
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... sis-rams-d

Defensive linemen (13)

Average number kept since 2003: 8.8

Safest bets: Chris Long, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Robert Quinn

Leading contenders: William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Darell Scott, Matt Conrath, Jermelle Cudjo

Longer odds: Trevor Laws, Jamaar Jarrett, Cornell Banks, Scott Smith

Comment: The Rams have three relatively recent first-round draft choices starting on the line, plus Langford, a free-agent addition from Miami. The position should be a strength for years to come. Brockers and Langford give the team needed bulk in the middle. It's tough to know what the new coaching staff thinks about some of the other talent. Hayes received a $100,000 roster bonus, an indication the team has hopes for him. Sims and Scott each played more than 20 percent of the defensive snaps last season. Cudjo was on the roster but did not play.

Linebackers (10)

Average number kept since 2003: 6.3

Safest bets: James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar

Leading contenders: Rocky McIntosh, Mario Haggan, Josh Hull, Aaron Brown, Sammy Brown, Alex Hoffman-Ellis

Longer odds: Justin Cole, Noah Keller

Comment: Laurinaitis is the only mainstay player at the position. Dunbar projects as a starter after the Rams paid a $1 million signing bonus to him in free agency. McIntosh and Haggan are veteran newcomers with starting experience. They're stopgaps until the Rams can address the position next offseason. It's looking like at least one undrafted rookie linebacker will stick on the roster.

Defensive backs (14)

Average number kept since 2003: 8.2

Safest bets: Cortland Finnegan, Darian Stewart, Quintin Mikell, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Craig Dahl, Bradley Fletcher

Leading contenders: Matt Daniels, Josh Gordy, Jerome Murphy

Longer odds: Kendric Burney, Quinton Pointer, Jeremy Caldwell, Rodney McLeod

Comment: Secondary depth is vastly improved, and not just through improved health. Fletcher was arguably the most promising cornerback on the roster last season. Now, it's tough to know whether he fits into the team's long-term plans. Depth at safety might be better than it appears. The Rams had a high enough grade on Daniels to give him a $10,000 signing bonus as an undrafted free agent from Duke.

Special teams (4)

Average number kept since 2003: 3.1

Safest bets: Greg Zuerlein, John Hekker, Jake McQuaide

Leading contenders: Tom Malone, Garrett Lindholm

Longer odds: Travis Tripucka

Comment: McQuaide, the snapper, is back from last season, but this group lacks experience overall. Zuerlein was a sixth-round pick. Hekker was an undrafted free agent. The Rams wanted better directional punting than Donnie Jones provided, particularly after watching Patrick Peterson score twice on returns last season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dunno why it doesn't bother me that we have a 2nd year long-snapper, a rookie punter and a rookie kicker. I mean, it should ... but it doesn't. I guess after watching a whole bunch of meh from the veteran special teamers last year, I feel it can't get much worse. But then again, we should all expect some rookie snafus this year from those guys. You know, just to be ready for it and stuff.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I dunno why it doesn't bother me that we have a 2nd year long-snapper, a rookie punter and a rookie kicker. I mean, it should ... but it doesn't. I guess after watching a whole bunch of meh from the veteran special teamers last year, I feel it can't get much worse. But then again, we should all expect some rookie snafus this year from those guys. You know, just to be ready for it and stuff.
Well, it's not as if our seasoned vets helped us at all last year, so you got that going for ya.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I think Trevor Laws and Rodney Mcleod have a better chance than Sando does, I'm also really looking forward to seeing Greg Zuerlein, nice to be in field goal range as soon as you cross mid field.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not worried either...

remember Henry from the Eagles? Wasn't he like a 4th round pick?

or Ryan Succop (hehehe Succop).

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:

LOL, strangely me too. Let's see two rooks, one can kick field goals with accuracy close to 60 yds, while the other averages 60 yd punts half the time....hmm, not bad. Maybe we should call them the "60-60" boys. :razzed: :roll:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I expect some hiccups with our ST sometimes, but overall, it should be pretty solid. I think it's a good group of guys though, and they will develop quickly into a very good players for us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
I expect some hiccups with our ST sometimes, but overall, it should be pretty solid. I think it's a good group of guys though, and they will develop quickly into a very good players for us.
Prolly. I took a look at Janikowski's early years and his first was meh compared to his 2nd. He was still good and all, but he got much better the second go-around.

a089c8a526cc488ca832379.png

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really hope Laws gets some more run than the likes of Cudjo/Scott. The other two offer a bit more in the way of size, but Laws is a proven run-stopper. His production took a bit of a dip last year with a change in scheme and some added competition from the likes of Cullen Jenkins, but if you look back to his 2010 season he had a great year against the run, and a pretty damn good showing in the passing game too, especially when you consider he was a rotational guy.
If anything, I suppose competition is always the best way to find the guy. I just think if you're going to give anyone 'longer odds' it'd be the guy that missed all of last year (Cudjo).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Warner4Prez said:
I really hope Laws gets some more run than the likes of Cudjo/Scott. The other two offer a bit more in the way of size, but Laws is a proven run-stopper. His production took a bit of a dip last year with a change in scheme and some added competition from the likes of Cullen Jenkins, but if you look back to his 2010 season he had a great year against the run, and a pretty damn good showing in the passing game too, especially when you consider he was a rotational guy.
If anything, I suppose competition is always the best way to find the guy. I just think if you're going to give anyone 'longer odds' it'd be the guy that missed all of last year (Cudjo).

I'd much rather have Cudjo than Scott. Cudjo is a pass-rusher at defensive tackle, which is something that the others have not consistently done at the position (Langford got all of his sacks as a 3-4 defensive end). Cudjo, at least, brings something new to the table.

I definitely agree with you on Laws, though.