Sando on Meaning of Fisher hiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What Jeff Fisher's hiring means for Rams
By Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/57146/what-jeff-fishers-hiring-means-for-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... s-for-rams</a>

The St. Louis Rams can finally exhale with news that Jeff Fisher has agreed to become their head coach.

With all due respect to the other candidates the Rams dutifully considered, the organization needed to secure its top choice to proceed with confidence.

Replacing Steve Spagnuolo with another unproven coordinator candidate wasn't going to give the Rams the credibility they need to win over a skeptical St. Louis market. Fisher also stands a better chance to make the Rams competitive on the field. His Tennessee Titans teams posted double-digit victory totals six times in his final 12 seasons, including as recently as 2007 and 2008.

Fisher is not the perfect candidate.

Critics will conveniently ignore his five 8-8 seasons when they say Fisher posted only six winning seasons in 17 years. How good would 8-8 look to the St. Louis Rams after they went 10-38 under Spagnuolo and 15-45 since 2007? Even if Fisher brings mediocrity to the Rams, the franchise will be better off exponentially.

The NFC West now has four head coaches with playoffs on their resumes. At their best, Fisher's teams in Tennessee played with a nasty edge on defense. They ran the ball on offense and still managed to produce a co-MVP at quarterback in the late Steve McNair.

We should expect Fisher to draw on his vast experience in assembling a quality staff. Concerns about his choice for offensive coordinator appear valid. Les Steckel, the late Mike Heimerdinger and Norm Chow were his coordinators in Tennessee. Fisher will need to find a coordinator to help quarterback Sam Bradford bounce back from a rough, potentially damaging second NFL season.

Fisher clashed with Vince Young in Tennessee. Bradford is easy to get along with, a coach's dream. The stability Fisher projects should allow Bradford to grow from a solid base.

The Rams' ability to beat out Miami reflects poorly on the Dolphins and their ownership, particularly after stories emerged suggesting owner Stephen Ross would not be outbid. Similar stories circulated before the Dolphins fell short in their pursuit of Jim Harbaugh last offseason.

Landing Fisher also reflects favorably on the Rams, who have their own stadium issues and, as a result, cannot be certain of their long-term viability in St. Louis. Fisher is a credible coach. He has succeeded under difficult circumstances, including when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee. He does not flinch easily.

Fisher made the smart choice. He'll be able to participate in the hiring of a general manager. That seems counter to the old ideal calling for teams to hire GMs, who then hire coaches. But smart coaches with Fisher's experience and leverage wisely insist upon making sure the right GM is in place.

Pete Carroll, having learned the hard way in New England, participated in John Schneider's hiring as GM in Seattle. The Carroll-Schneider relationship has worked well so far. The team has acquired young talent that has fit well with what Carroll wants to do on the field. In San Francisco, the 49ers had already hired Trent Baalke as GM when they landed Harbaugh, but the two felt comfortable with one another. They were also hired at roughly the same time, allowing them to start fresh together.

Fisher will get that opportunity in St. Louis. We should expect the Titans' Lake Dawson to emerge as a leading candidate as GM. Fisher worked with Dawson in Tennessee. Dawson is already familiar with the NFC West, having worked for the Seahawks during the Mike Holmgren years.

I see no real negatives for St. Louis here based on the options available to them. They were justified in firing Spagnuolo based simply on the 10-38 record. But they needed to find someone as good or better. Fisher passes that test, but he'll need better players to win. Holding the second overall choice in the 2012 draft gives Fisher and the team's next GM a head start.

diggity

Rookie
The changes should start pretty quick. The off season for us RAM followers should be a daily news watch of changes and improvements!
GO RAMS!!!!!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
diggity said:
The changes should start pretty quick. The off season for us RAM followers should be a daily news watch of changes and improvements!
GO RAMS!!!!!!!
For sure. It's an exciting time for Rams fans.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
diggity said:
GO RAMS!!!!!!!

No doubt. Best offseason in 11 years.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
diggity said:
GO RAMS!!!!!!!

And we deserve every minute of it!!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Since when is 8-8 a winning season? It's a non losing season. .500. Average. Yeah it'll look good compared to 2-14, but seriously, 8-8 for years is not what I want. I don't want mediocrity, I want winning seasons. I want this team to be like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots (w/o the cheating), the Colts of the past decade, Ravens.

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
diggity said:
GO RAMS!!!!!!!

And we deserve every minute of it!!!

YES WE DO! :nana: :cheers: :clap: :good1: :yahoo: :woooot: :ayup:

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Since when is 8-8 a winning season? It's a non losing season. .500. Average. Yeah it'll look good compared to 2-14, but seriously, 8-8 for years is not what I want. I don't want mediocrity, I want winning seasons. I want this team to be like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots (w/o the cheating), the Colts of the past decade, Ravens.

8-8 would have won the division last season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

Not this season. Or any season before that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:
Indeed. But there won't be very many more of those anomalies in the future.

Let's all try to forgive Fisher of his past discretions (whatever we perceive them to be) and get behind the guy in the hopes that he'll assemble a staff and a roster that is conducive to him posting double digit wins year in and year out. But more importantly, let's all pray to whatever deity you prefer, that he never - EVER - has to deal with ridiculous amounts of injuries in a single season. Because I don't care who you are, or what your name is, you simply won't be able to do anything worthy of note under those conditions.

Aye?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Angry Ram said:

Oh c'mon Rammer. I'm not expecting a miracle here either. Its all in the hand he's dealt this year and next with injuries etc. However, we do know he can bring a steady hand here, I'm really looking forward to it. This guy has been through a lot of instabilities in his career. We know that if he has mediocre or better talent this will be a better team. I'm kinda pumped. He's respected, he'll recruit better coaching and free agents. He makes people just feel better that he's in control and not Linament or Zygmunt as an extreme. Really.

This guy can coach. Don't you think if his one franchise didn't play in three different cities with a cheap ass owner, cap hell through three years along with dealing with the power house Colts, his winning precentage would likely be 65% or greater? He's been through the same or similar issues as the Rams, yet his winning percentage is much better than this franchise through that timeframe. I am PUMPED. This is a great day in Rams history.

Anonymous

smram said:
Angry Ram said:

Oh c'mon Rammer. I'm not expecting a miracle here either. Its all in the hand he's dealt this year and next with injuries etc. However, we do know he can bring a steady hand here, I'm really looking forward to it. This guy has been through a lot of instabilities in his career. We know that if he has mediocre or better talent this will be a better team. I'm kinda pumped. He's respected, he'll recruit better coaching and free agents. He makes people just feel better that he's in control and not Linament or Zygmunt as an extreme. Really.

This guy can coach. Don't you think if his one franchise didn't play in three different cities with a cheap ass owner, cap hell through three years along with dealing with the power house Colts, his winning precentage would likely be 65% or greater? He's been through the same or similar issues as the Rams, yet his winning percentage is much better than this franchise through that timeframe. I am PUMPED. This is a great day in Rams history.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

Not this season. Or any season before that.

8-8 has made the wild card a few times.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now I am just happy that all the Shaw Zygmunt FO dysfuction, and all the Linehan Spags Devaney inexperience is probably behind us.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Re:

interference said:
Right now I am just happy that all the Shaw Zygmunt FO dysfuction, and all the Linehan Spags Devaney inexperience is probably behind us.

Good riddance, honestly. I think Spags was a decent coach but his stubborness and lack of adapting/adjusting hurt, despite the injury situation. Even when healthy, when did they appear to come out of the tunnel after halftime with a good adjustment plan, minus the 9er game, last game of the year this year... ever in his entire regime??? Spags would be a fantastic coach with all good attitude, talent and health guys. Throw in some adversity and issues... and we had serious issues. Lots of guys would struggle under those circumstances, including Fisher, however, he would adjust the damn plan, somehow. For crying out loud. :grr:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re:

interference said:

Gawd I hope so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:

It's quite possible that his teams would have been like the ones you mentioned with a better owner. I think Stan has showed that he will pony up. Let's see if Fisher and his GM make the right choices and his players can stay out of the MASH tent.

I suppose the one thing I would encourage fellow Rams fans to take out of all this is that Stan is all in. I'm encouraged by that - not necessarily Fisher's record as a head coach.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Kroenke just had enough losing and he flipped like this...

WARNING CUSSING.

[mp3]http://audio2.hark.com/production/audio/000/047/584/47584.mp3?Expires=1326513733&Signature=UiSS5O-ytZvS09R31ZJiUidkEfZG-dPX8mjxnRdkSZfAwDVJF-TI52cKX0Agn-xGbS1vhsO-7IoojTUtu~zO1CjVusERimxRpUn3oo91UZa7aqYq-3Ruc7dxb-3ALVCfhjGri1Z46Itb~sOoyGwmQD9Hzf5OtXuVSbGSvF1Ss7U_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJQKB5APWST65Q4AQ[/mp3]

Which is probably why he didn't have Fisher fly in on his private jet.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:

It's quite possible that his teams would have been like the ones you mentioned with a better owner. I think Stan has showed that he will pony up. Let's see if Fisher and his GM make the right choices and his players can stay out of the MASH tent.

I suppose the one thing I would encourage fellow Rams fans to take out of all this is that Stan is all in. I'm encouraged by that - not necessarily Fisher's record as a head coach.

Totally agree 503

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stan's only reason for hiring Fisher...

[mp3]http://audio2.hark.com/production/audio/000/003/520/3520.mp3?Expires=1326514030&Signature=fFMiXaFwG0SgmSm1QeqF81w94S3S2Al~HrX82gBpCPtpE6YLLUQe-jOlYni9niTtW8dwcvhb04AZO0bc8ih-FP--aRKzCrYvw1as2Rj~GCzyH6SgSxCgAVE1ucKcskUkCDRC6uXozL0WR3KyPxn4scxDcIgiOPoWGH-EvEudczU_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJQKB5APWST65Q4AQ[/mp3]