Sando Chat (Rams Q&A's Only)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... mike-sando

David (Maryland)
I've been following the Rams' offseason and it kind of seems like the players are much more receptive of Jeff Fisher's program than Spagnuolo's in past seasons. Do you agree with this?

Mike Sando
Jeff Fisher's status as a veteran coach helps him command players' attention right away, without having to earn it quite as much. So there is probably something to what you are saying. In general, though, the new-coach narrative will make it seem like the previous guy was a total idiot while the new guy is a faultless savior. Fresh starts excite people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David (Maryland)
With the addition of Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford on the inside, does this open up more opportunities for Long and Quinn to earn some more sacks? If they can take up more blockers and help sure up the Rams' porous run defense, I see good things from this duo.

Mike Sando
Chris Long had 13.5 sacks last season. That number will be tough to beat -- for anyone. Quinn had only five sacks. That number was probably going to rise anyway just based on playing time. Long and Quinn had a combined 18.5 sacks last season. I do think they've got a good chance to exceed that combined total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JC (St Louis)
Did the rams outsmart themselves by moving down in the second round to get that extra fifth-round pick? I've heard they were considering Mychal Kendricks or Bobby Wagner before they picked, and after the trade down, both players got plucked before we took Isaiah Pead. I'd rather have Kendricks, but like the FA rookies we picked up at LB.

Mike Sando
The two linebackers you cited -- Kendricks and Wagner -- project as 4-3 middle linebackers with their new teams. The question for the Rams becomes whether either of those players would have had second-round value as outside linebackers in St. Louis, given that James Laurinaitis is firmly established as the middle linebacker. The Rams need playmakers on offense. After patching with unspectacular veterans behind Steven Jackson at running back last season, they appear likely to go that route at linebacker this season. They couldn't fix everything at once.

JC (St Louis)
The Rams went overboard on the CB position. We still have youngsters Jerome Murphy and Bradley Fletcher, now Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are on the scene. Don't you think the Rams could have addressed another position of need like LB in the draft instead of maybe Johnson? Maybe they thought he was really special?

Mike Sando
The Rams got crushed by injuries at cornerback last season and seemed determined to prevent that from happening again. It's pretty clear the Rams felt the value was better for the corners they selected. I do remember seeing Johnson listed as a first-round pick in Bob McGinn's mock draft. McGinn also ranked the top 100 players overall, and 85 went among the top 100 players drafted, the best score in a contest featuring quite a few analysts. Maybe Johnson had the greater value.

Derek (SC)
Any thoughts on how the Rams are projected to be 24th in Power Ranking in 2015? Seeing as how they got their QB and had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and 4 more first round picks the next two years.

Mike Sando
I'd be more optimistic than that, but in reading the methodology, the fact that the front office remains unproven -- not much of a track record there -- played into the score. One of the analysts did say the Rams were in great position to move up -- if they made good use of those picks. But it was too early to know whether this front office would make good use of those picks.

Jacob (Missouri)
As a Rams fan, I could really use some optimism, but when is the best time to actually believe all the good things I'm hearing?

Mike Sando:
It's OK to believe the good things you're hearing now. Just remember to keep it all in perspective. For the Rams, pay close attention to the injury situation. This team was hit hard by injuries last season. It's important for the Rams to get through the offseason without starting to head down the path that led to the training room last season.
We should pay close attention to what the Rams are saying about Jason Smith at right tackle. We should listen for clues about Brian Quick's readiness to contribute right now, not just at some point in the distant future. We should pay attention to the source of information. When Jeff Fisher, a former defensive back, gushes over Janoris Jenkins and indicates he expects immediate contributions, that means something. I'd go ahead and buy into that a little bit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mike - At what point can I just buy my airline tickets for the SB parade in St Louis? Is next week too soon?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Mike - At what point can I just buy my airline tickets for the SB parade in St Louis? Is next week too soon?

Mike Sando:
Book it, Danno.