Sando: A draft trade to consider

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/92244/wishful-thinking-a-draft-trade-to-consider" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... o-consider</a>

The St. Louis Rams hold the 16th, 22nd, 46th and 78th choices in the first three rounds of the 2013 NFL draft. Bill from Chesterfield, Mo., would like to see them trade back from the 16th or 22nd pick with a team moving up to select a quarterback.

"When I look at the depth of above-average players in this draft at positions the Rams need -- guard, tackle, safety, receiver, linebacker, defensive tackle -- and the fact that teams at the top of the second round need quarterbacks, I keep thinking the Rams are in prime position to move back," Bill writes. "Do you see this as a strong possibility? What is a reasonable return for dropping 15 to 20 spots? Is a high third this year plus a second-round pick next year doable? Would the Rams consider it?"

It's tough to know what the Rams could get for the 16th or 22nd picks. We do know what teams have gotten for those picks in the past. That can serve as a general guide when setting value for those picks in the 2013 draft.

The 2004 and 2007 drafts provides some precedent for the type of move you're talking about, Bill.

In 2004, Buffalo moved up into the 22nd slot to select quarterback J.P. Losman. The Bills sent the 43rd and 144th picks to Dallas, plus a 2005 first-round choice. In 2007, Cleveland moved up from the 36th pick into the 22nd slot to draft quarterback Brady Quinn. The Cowboys got the 36th pick, plus a first-rounder in 2008.

It's a little early to know whether any team will value the 2013 quarterbacks enough to make a similar move. I think the Rams would have to seriously consider that type of trade if offered. St. Louis would still have the 16th pick. The team would then have three-first rounders in 2014 -- its own, plus one already acquired from Washington, plus the new one from this hypothetical trade.

There have been several other trades involving the 22nd pick, including one in 2006 that saw San Francisco send the 37th and 68th choices to Denver for a chance to select Manny Lawson with the 22nd choice that year.

The 16th pick hasn't seen quite as much trade action.

In 2003, San Diego sent the 16th pick to Pittsburgh for the 27th, 92nd and 200th choices.

A year later, San Francisco sent the 16th choice to Philadelphia for the 28th and 58th choices. Those were the most recent examples of a team moving down at least 10 spots from No. 16.

sUlDeaQ.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While the thought of getting another 1st rounder next year is appealing; the Rams can't afford a strategy of "win later".

That's why I fear trading down after last year's success doing it.

I understand that good players can be found throughout the draft; but let's face it - the hit rate is better the earlier you select.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
While the thought of getting another 1st rounder next year is appealing; the Rams can't afford a strategy of "win later".

I understand that good players can be found throughout the draft; but let's face it - the hit rate is better the earlier you select.
Agree. I've thought of trading down, but it would have to return two high picks this year. A lower 1st and a high third, or two seconds. We need the picks this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

Agree. I've thought of trading down, but it would have to return two high picks this year. A lower 1st and a high third, or two seconds. We need the picks this year.

Cleveland and Miami have two 2nds this year. They'd have some ammo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

I know, I already checked it out, hehe.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

Cleveland has 2 second rounders this year?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
UGH! I hate seeing the two teams with the most picks this year. How did that happen?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd love to dump that 16th overall pick. The return on it wouldn't be high, and I don't think they'd even want much for it. I can see a lot of those blue chip players gone by then. I could see the Bills or Arizona getting antsy and moving up for Geno. I'd take their 2nd next year and something like a 4th or 5th to make it happen. Rams would still get a highly graded player at 22 and be in good position with a top 10 pick the next day.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we're in a good place this year, we've got strategic holes to fill this year and I think our #16 & #22 could help us out a lot, I don't think we can keep waiting for the next round, and next year...