San Diego suffers setback to keep Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/san-diegos-chances-to-keep-chargers-suffers-an-expected-setback/

San Diego, the current home of the Chargers, is going to need a ton of support from voters to keep them around.

As the San Diego Union-Tribune first reported Wednesday night, the Chargers' stadium initiative will need to gain the approval of two-thirds of voters -- not just a simple majority -- because the passing of the initiative would involve a tax increase. Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune explained on Thursday:

The California State Supreme Court decided to temporarily block a lower court ruling that said tax increases like the Chargers downtown stadium initiative require approval from a simple majority instead of two-thirds of voters. The court said it will review the ruling at a time to be determined.
Acee went on to explain that most rulings take a while to be resolved -- sometimes even years. So, a ruling before November seems unlikely.

Translation: The initiative, which will likely go on the ballot in November, will need overwhelming support to pass. That will be troublesome, even if the team knew this was probably coming.

"We're operating as if it's two-thirds," said Chargers adviser Fred Maas in March, per the Union-Tribune.

The good news is that the initiative should land on the ballot, as the team collected more than 110,000 signatures. It only needed 67,000 and the Union-Tribute reports those signatures should be approved next month.

usatsi9270782.jpg

A rendering of the Chargers' new stadium and convention center. USATSI
The initiative involves increasing San Diego's hotel room tax by four percent. The stadium (and the convention center) is expected to cost $1.8 billion, with the NFL and Chargers spending $650 million. If that stadium gets built, the Chargers should expect to host a Super Bowl in the near future.

If the Chargers don't stay in San Diego, they'll have options, namely Los Angeles. Las Vegas mayor Carolyn Goodman also expressed belief that the Chargers could move there if the Raiders' relocation plan doesn't work out. Still, L.A. appears to be the most likely destination.

Moral of the story: Enjoy Philip Rivers while you can, San Diego.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought Mayor Goodman said the Raiders were for sure going to LV..........

After the way the NFL wiped it's feet on STL I don't think the voters really have a say in what an owner or the league is going to do. They just don't give a fuck about fan bases desires, they are just one of many revenue streams and not even the most important one.

I'm starting to believe the NFL and it's owners wouldn't care if stadiums were empty as long as the TV money made up for it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And by the way what the fuck is this guy supposed to do if the Raiders move lolol

raiderface_original_crop_north.jpeg

oakland-raiders-head-tattoo-for-men.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Mayor Goodman said the Raiders were for sure going to LV..........

After the way the NFL wiped it's feet on STL I don't think the voters really have a say in what an owner or the league is going to do. They just don't give a freak about fan bases desires, they are just one of many revenue streams and not even the most important one.

I'm starting to believe the NFL and it's owners wouldn't care if stadiums were empty as long as the TV money made up for it.

The NFL is a business. They don't care what a small (to them) portion of the fans thinks/wants. The Raider brand is international. They will have fans no matter what. However, the Chargers will suffer if they move. IMO. But, the NFL is looking at the Global picture now. They think if they lose a few hundred thousand fans that they will make up for it in Chinese and European fans down the road.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spanos' only option may be to move the team to China. "China Chargers" kinda has a nice ring to it, dontcha think?

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Chargers move to LA it hurts the Chargers and the Rams. If the Raiders move to LA it hurts the Rams.....in terms of fan base and ticket sales. If the Raiders move to Las Vegas I think they will be fine. Ideally, everyone stays where they are.
San Diego has always had pretty much fair weather fans (Ca in general, I say that as a former LA Rams season ticket holder). I don't see it getting 2/3 vote, but, with normal voting turn out, who knows?
I hope they stay in San Diego....they do have some very good and loyal fans down there. It would be better for everyone involved I think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/san-diegos-chances-to-keep-chargers-suffers-an-expected-setback/

San Diego, the current home of the Chargers, is going to need a ton of support from voters to keep them around.

As the San Diego Union-Tribune first reported Wednesday night, the Chargers' stadium initiative will need to gain the approval of two-thirds of voters -- not just a simple majority -- because the passing of the initiative would involve a tax increase. Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune explained on Thursday:

The California State Supreme Court decided to temporarily block a lower court ruling that said tax increases like the Chargers downtown stadium initiative require approval from a simple majority instead of two-thirds of voters. The court said it will review the ruling at a time to be determined.
Acee went on to explain that most rulings take a while to be resolved -- sometimes even years. So, a ruling before November seems unlikely.

Translation: The initiative, which will likely go on the ballot in November, will need overwhelming support to pass. That will be troublesome, even if the team knew this was probably coming.

"We're operating as if it's two-thirds," said Chargers adviser Fred Maas in March, per the Union-Tribune.

The good news is that the initiative should land on the ballot, as the team collected more than 110,000 signatures. It only needed 67,000 and the Union-Tribute reports those signatures should be approved next month.

usatsi9270782.jpg

A rendering of the Chargers' new stadium and convention center. USATSI
The initiative involves increasing San Diego's hotel room tax by four percent. The stadium (and the convention center) is expected to cost $1.8 billion, with the NFL and Chargers spending $650 million. If that stadium gets built, the Chargers should expect to host a Super Bowl in the near future.

If the Chargers don't stay in San Diego, they'll have options, namely Los Angeles. Las Vegas mayor Carolyn Goodman also expressed belief that the Chargers could move there if the Raiders' relocation plan doesn't work out. Still, L.A. appears to be the most likely destination.

Moral of the story: Enjoy Philip Rivers while you can, San Diego.
I wish the Chargers well in their attempt to get a New Stadium! I don't want the Rams to share their New Stadium with anyone!! ( I know I've said this before, but I needed to repeat it!):D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Remember that will be Presidential ballot, I would expect pretty high turn out...now if that hurts or helps not sure.
Can be both. In the case of a tax increase however, it usually hurts. I haven't read SD's law requiring the 2/3 majority but most super majority laws are written to exclude major elections as voter turn out is higher. Minor elections generally result in far lower turn-outs - thus not being a true reflection of the electorate. It was a long standing practice to put tax increases on minor elections where the burden and cost of getting out the vote to support it was much lower and the success rates much higher. Super majority measures were the answer (for better or worse) adopted in many areas.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not good news. Although I see no benefit to the Chargers going to LA as the second fiddle, unless over time the Rams can't string together winning seasons. Plus, the problem of where they will play until Inglewood is finished, still remains.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chargers stay in SD.

Raiders stay in Oakland.

That's where my chips are.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Chargers stay in SD.

Raiders stay in Oakland.

That's where my chips are.

no clue where chargers end up....but not a shot in heck they raiders stay in Oakland, they have no support for a new stadium and (in no order of likelyhood) 1)they move to LA to get in on new stadium 2) they move to LV which looks to be sweet option on the surface 3) they move to SA and piss off Jerry 4) they move to some unforeseen spot

I just see no way they stay though, they can't build their own stadium and they are getting little to no public dollars, even if their preference is to stay the pull of new stadiums in other markets will be to great.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
no clue where chargers end up....but not a shot in heck they raiders stay in Oakland, they have no support for a new stadium and (in no order of likelyhood) 1)they move to LA to get in on new stadium 2) they move to LV which looks to be sweet option on the surface 3) they move to SA and pee pee off Jerry 4) they move to some unforeseen spot

I just see no way they stay though, they can't build their own stadium and they are getting little to no public dollars, even if their preference is to stay the pull of new stadiums in other markets will be to great.
5.) Sell the team to someone who CAN afford to build their own stadium.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hope the Chargers stay in San Diego, if for nothing else when they show scores I want the Rams just to be "Los Angeles" and not L.A.Rams. Some may find that trivial, but it always bothered me when the Raiders moved to Los Angeles.