San Diego plots potential litigation over Chargers relocation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

If this were successful, it likely spells Spanos' exit from the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pay up Spanos. You fuck.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams win a Big Playoff game & this is the headline. Chargers & what how good San Diego defense is with Staley?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the play here is to try to get the NFL to a trial.

Unfortunately for the plaintiffs, I don't see the SD case having any merits. They participated, in good faith, in trying to get a new stadium built using a designated tourist tax. That vote failed, they moved on.

The Rams situation is much, much murkier.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
With a new owner... I agree.

Chargers would be welcomed back in SD with a new owner, no question.

I've said for years now, some billionaire with the $$$ to pay for his own building ought to buy the Chargers, build that building, and move them back to San Diego to play in it. That person would be given the keys to the city.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah, I don't think they have the facts to survive the Motion to Dismiss - if they did - this would have been filed already

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, I don't think they have the facts to survive the Motion to Dismiss - if they did - this would have been filed already

These lawsuits are expensive to bring and there was a precedent making decision in the legal pipeline, so it was simply wiser to wait for the decision for St. Louis. If St. Louis prevailed, that precedent could help narrow the suit making it easier to win for San Diego. If St. Louis had lost, it would have really made going forward that much harder and likely not worth it.

Thus, with the decision for St.L, San Diego has a path to victory and thus it's very likely worth the investment to bring the suit.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've said for years now, some billionaire with the $$$ to pay for his own building ought to buy the Chargers, build that building, and move them back to San Diego to play in it. That person would be given the keys to the city.
I don’t see that ever happening.

It’d have to be someone worth $20 Billion plus, I’d think.. between a team and a CA stadium.. 7-8 billion? On the low end?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
These lawsuits are expensive to bring and there was a precedent making decision in the legal pipeline, so it was simply wiser to wait for the decision for St. Louis. If St. Louis prevailed, that precedent could help narrow the suit making it easier to win for San Diego. If St. Louis had lost, it would have really made going forward that much harder and likely not worth it.

Thus, with the decision for St.L, San Diego has a path to victory and thus it's very likely worth the investment to bring the suit.
What precedent?

Because the pathways are different so I don’t see an applicable legal precedent?

I’m asking, because I ain’t a lawyer.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame

It’d have to be someone worth $20 Billion plus, I’d think.. between a team and a CA stadium.. 7-8 billion? On the low end?
There's no way a mega rich owner is going to invest in a San Diego stadium with his own money if he has access to Sofi stadium and the 2nd largest market. Talk about a downgrade.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

You never know. Billionaires have big egos and want big things. Stan spent $5 billion on SoFi, which was more than any other stadium in the league by a large margin. I can easily see a big ego billionaire wanting to do it and wanting to win a dick size contest with Stan by building an even more expensive stadium.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty ignorant on the San Diego scenario, but I don't think it's anywhere comparable to what happened in STL.

The league told Kroenke that he had to "exhaust all options" before a move could potentially happen. STL dragged their feet, but eventually had stadium plans and investors for a new stadium before the deadline. Meanwhile Stan had already been looking and purchased the land for the new stadium which everyone in the organization denied was for a new stadium.

Not sure how that is comparable to SD?