Sam's back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If Davis plays great, I have to think next year is him, a 1st-round pick and Gilbert. If he plays well, it's him vs. Bradford (locking down the first 2 QB spots) and a 1st rounder with Gilbert probably back on the PS again.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If Davis were to somehow manage to maintain this pace for the entire season, I can totally see this team sticking with what they have at quarterback now, and that would be great for us in terms of asset management.

Outside of the first game, our offense has exceeded my expectations. But the scary part is that we've not yet seen this team firing on all four cylinders offensively. The offensive line has continued to improve, and with that will come even more third down conversions.

Add to that if this defense ever plays even just decent, the entire team looks better. Yes, I absolutely believe that the defense has a tremendous effect on what you can do offensively.

Finally, for anyone saying that he hasn't been tested yet, I say give it a few weeks. Chances are that if this team doesn't fall apart against the Eagles, they're going to hit their division opponents HARD. And what better test could you have for this team than the super bowl champions.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yah and then Sam will sign with a QB hungry team for more money. Look what Cutler got. A good QB gets big bucks. Notice I did not say excellent QB. For those of us who believe Sam is an exceptional QB the Rams are going to have to still pay him well to stay. And if the OL pass protection does not get its act together this year I can see Sam saying "hasta la vista baby." No need to continue playing for a ramshackle OL another 5 years.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Finally, for anyone saying that he hasn't been tested yet, I say give it a few weeks.

Bingo. He can't be tested when he's on the bench. Let him play and let's see what we've got.

I have nothing against Hill, and I don't think he played badly in the short amount of time he was on the field this year. But no matter how much he plays this year, it does nothing to clarify our situation at QB going forward. He's 34 and he's not the future of this franchise. If the play of Davis we've seen so far continues over a larger sample size and against a variety of opponents, then at worst, we have a decent fall back option in him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If Davis were to somehow manage to maintain this pace for the entire season, I can totally see this team sticking with what they have at quarterback now, and that would be great for us in terms of asset management.

Outside of the first game, our offense has exceeded my expectations. But the scary part is that we've not yet seen this team firing on all four cylinders offensively. The offensive line has continued to improve, and with that will come even more third down conversions.

Add to that if this defense ever plays even just decent, the entire team looks better. Yes, I absolutely believe that the defense has a tremendous effect on what you can do offensively.

Finally, for anyone saying that he hasn't been tested yet, I say give it a few weeks. Chances are that if this team doesn't fall apart against the Eagles, they're going to hit their division opponents HARD. And what better test could you have for this team than the super bowl champions.
Did you mean to imply that this offense was economical at best? I mean, I'd much rather the offense be hitting on 8 cylinders! :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Surely 5 years of Sam is enough of a sample size to go off?

After last night I'm back on board with:
USATSI_7644463.jpg
That was one of his best games, in terms of how he worked within the pocket. He made some surgical throws, and went through his progressions inside and out a few times. He missed a another long TD throw by a foot or two, and missed an outstanding TD run, by about a foot. He was outstanding last night though, all and all.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah and then Sam will sign with a QB hungry team for more money. Look what Cutler got. A good QB gets big bucks. Notice I did not say excellent QB. For those of us who believe Sam is an exceptional QB the Rams are going to have to still pay him well to stay. And if the OL pass protection does not get its act together this year I can see Sam saying "hasta la vista baby." No need to continue playing for a ramshackle OL another 5 years.

I'm betting they draft a QB high if they like one and bring Sam back next year at what's left on his deal.

He's not renegotiating down that's for sure and its only 1 year left and they have the space.

From there it will be up to him to stay healthy...if he does that he'll put up big #'s imo andit will get very tricky thereafter.

Long way from now till then though so we shall see.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Did you mean to imply that this offense was economical at best? I mean, I'd much rather the offense be hitting on 8 cylinders! :)
Doh! But, don't they go with high displacement, 4 cylinders in race cars to attain those higher RPMs at those crazy compression ratios?

Myself, I'm a power to weight ratio kind of guy, so I believe I may be rocking a triple on my next bike :)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It is odd though that he's walking with crutches already.
Am I on your Ignore list Bro?
I promise it is not abnormal to be off crutches and walking 2 weeks after surgery.
My case is not Sams but My tear was completely in half and the day after surgery the surgeon had me at his office and physically bent my knee as far as I could tolerate with tears in my eyes Ouch!. you Usually are in bed elevating it and on a pain pump for the first couple days but still you get up and walk with crutches. Remember one of the main things you are battling is atrophy so you are mobile right away and off the crutches quick.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think, probably because it has been so long, you guys are forgetting how good Bradford really is. Davis doesnt have half the talent Bradford does...

This. If Sam walks we are seriously going to regret it when he carves up the league. Like the guys say, they've already counted Sam's cap hit and are working with it in hand so I don't think they'll cut him. Hopefully his injuries will be behind him and we can move as a team to the next level with a top QB if he's healthy!

Concern is obviously health. So hopefully Austin Davis keeps continuing his development and can grow behind Sam and we'd be set in case the worst should happen. I wouldn't be against drafting a rookie as well to compete with the two of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. If Sam walks we are seriously going to regret it when he carves up the league. Like the guys say, they've already counted Sam's cap hit and are working with it in hand so I don't think they'll cut him. Hopefully his injuries will be behind him and we can move as a team to the next level with a top QB if he's healthy!

Concern is obviously health. So hopefully Austin Davis keeps continuing his development and can grow behind Sam and we'd be set in case the worst should happen. I wouldn't be against drafting a rookie as well to compete with the two of them.

If Davis continues to play the way he has, you stick with him. Sam has a lot of talent but thus far, he hasn't proven he can put it together consistently. If Davis proves he can, I see no reason not to stick with him. Sam may very well light up the league...but then again, Trent Green did pretty damn well too. We weren't sweating it too much with Warner.

Not to compare Bradford to Green or Davis to Warner. Only saying that if Davis is a quality player, no reason to risk it. But that's a HUGE IF.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If Davis continues to play the way he has, you stick with him. Sam has a lot of talent but thus far, he hasn't proven he can put it together consistently. If Davis proves he can, I see no reason not to stick with him. Sam may very well light up the league...but then again, Trent Green did pretty damn well too. We weren't sweating it too much with Warner.

Not to compare Bradford to Green or Davis to Warner. Only saying that if Davis is a quality player, no reason to risk it. But that's a HUGE IF.

Im just going by the recent evidence - last season and this pre-season when he was lighting it up pretty consistently. I with the weapons around him now and knowing the system so well he's very much the best option. I think its easy to overlook how he was playing because he got hurt and because he looked inconsistent the year before and was flat out bad in 2011.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im just going by the recent evidence - last season and this pre-season when he was lighting it up pretty consistently. I with the weapons around him now and knowing the system so well he's very much the best option. I think its easy to overlook how he was playing because he got hurt and because he looked inconsistent the year before and was flat out bad in 2011.

I'm not overlooking it but I'm not going to ignore that he's coming off back to back torn ACLs and has had issues staying on the field.

I'm betting they draft a QB high if they like one and bring Sam back next year at what's left on his deal.

He's not renegotiating down that's for sure and its only 1 year left and they have the space.

From there it will be up to him to stay healthy...if he does that he'll put up big #'s imo andit will get very tricky thereafter.

Long way from now till then though so we shall see.

Just think what we could do with another $10m though, it's going to be tough to pass that up if Davis continues to impress and we draft a QB (even if we don't draft a QB high, Davis with Hill backing him up maybe well worth the extra cap space), it's just too much money for a player we have no use for imo.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah, Sam injured hes ACL and not his MCL. At least it wasn't both of them. (y)

Then again, J. Long is still playing. Lol! Gosh it hurts too much to laugh. Davis is growing on me fast but I think we're 3-0 with Samford under center.

Then again, J. Long is still playing. Lol! Gosh it hurts too much to laugh. Davis is growing on me fast but I think we're 3-0 with Samford under center.

Maybe, maybe not, a Bradford lead O has scored 35 points or over twice in his time here (and one of those games there was a defensive and special teams TD), our D maybe too much for even him to overcome.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Maybe, maybe not, a Bradford lead O has scored 35 points or over twice in his time here (and one of those games there was a defensive and special teams TD), our D maybe too much for even him to overcome.

You're looking at the past though - when we were a different team and a different offense, with no weapons around Sam and a creaky o-line. Look at his performances from last year and this PS and you must see we'd very likely be 3-0 with Sam. You cant seriously be telling me you think Austin Davis is a better QB?

I'm delighted with AD's performance and I really don't want anyone to think I'm bashing him but come on. SB was gonna rip it up. He will again next year. If not then I hope Davis can continue to blossom but I still think we're gonna need a QB in the draft.

You're looking at the past though - when we were a different team and a different offense, with no weapons around Sam and a creaky o-line. Look at his performances from last year and this PS and you must see we'd very likely be 3-0 with Sam. You cant seriously be telling me you think Austin Davis is a better QB?

I'm delighted with AD's performance and I really don't want anyone to think I'm bashing him but come on. SB was gonna rip it up. He will again next year. If not then I hope Davis can continue to blossom but I still think we're gonna need a QB in the draft.

The OL we saw in the first game was worse than the OL we saw all of last season, and the only player on O who's clearly better than last year is Quick.

Davis is competing with a ghost, he goes out and throws 5 TDs against Philly, then it doesn't matter because Sam would have thrown 6.