Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Funny how stuff plays out, say Coop brings in that laser and we get a resounding statement W, and yeah it was there, the pulse of this site would be a full 180 turn around

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wide open for TD

Attachments

• Watkins open for TD.gif
    Watkins open for TD.gif
    86.4 KB · Views: 165

Micah

UDFA
Name
Micah
Your crazy.... Kupps getting covered by lbs and slot receivers...no where near a #1... Watkins is being misused
You haven't even seen the full potential of Kupp yet but you will. When you guys drafted him my heart sank. As for Sammy Watkins he kind of reminds me of Sydney Rice.... Mediocre at best, he never really has impressed tbh.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

hmmm, that's the second time in 2 weeks that goff has gone to higbee with watkins clearly open and away for certain td.

i know he's still like a rookie but goff has to learn to see these things. i can understand sammy's frustration.

the good news is mcvay sees all and will work with jared to make him see the whole field. also, sammy is getting open and in due time goff will be throwing a heap of td passes to him.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

I remember yelling out "Sammy!!" on that play as I was expecting something along that sideline. My heart jumped a bit as I'm not yet comfortable with Higbee when the play is contested.

On the phone...the vid looks like Goff started the play looking left as the pattern had two receivers already there with a third crossing to the left. When Sammy broke open, it looks like Goff was beginning to move his viewpoint to his right. It's possible Goff didn't see Sammy break open. The pocket was collapsing when he whipped the throw to Higbee. That throw, BTW, looked like all arm strength. He couldn't really step into the throw fully.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work and they were saying Watkins just isn't that good plain and simple. Not sure what you guys saw in him tbh. I mean Kupp is more of a number 1 guy IMO.

You heard it on ESPN, so he's just not that good and you don't know what we saw in him ??? Is that just what ESPN had to say or is that your thought process as well ???

Last edited:

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
To be fair on Goff, I don't think he was in a position to set his feet and really be able to throw the ball that far. I know these guys are strong but he wasn't necessarily setting his feet and comfortably throwing the ball there, so I could see that he maybe went with the only guy he thought he could. Regardless, those plays are there and need to happen. Those are 6 points that could be on the scoreboard.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Sammy could not have run a better route...

And Higbee was singled up on a shorter throw

Goff COULD have been more aggressive to Sammy but Goff is still a 2nd year QB....he's going to miss guys AND still have room to improve.

Sammy needs to simmer down a bit, tbh.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Just a guess here but...

Depending on how the opponent is defending the Rams, maybe they send Watkins deeper to open up the underneath for the others?

So, you might say... why doesn't someone else go deep and distract?
Guessing because he draws double coverage and/or more attention to stretch the defense?

Maybe the SF defense was such that they didn't need to keep the deep backs out there?

Interesting that it's only been the SF game where McVay and company adapted... again, maybe it's them taking what is given and not forcing what is not.

If you send Sammy on slants and such you put pressure on the d to tackle the guy and if you can get a backer on him it's trouble. Most defenses don't have the cover guys to match up deep with Watkins and short with Kupp, but the hags do, so maybe mix it up and have Sammy in the slot.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I don't think this coaching staff is the type to reward a player who gets caught half-assing routes.

And glad he owned his 1/2 ass route running. But ya he a typical wr that needs to get an pass early to keep him focused I think. imho

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy could not have run a better route...

And Higbee was singled up on a shorter throw

Goff COULD have been more aggressive to Sammy but Goff is still a 2nd year QB....he's going to miss guys AND still have room to improve.

Sammy needs to simmer down a bit, tbh.

Yep. You'll see that with even the best QBs. What people have to keep in mind is that so much of the QB's job is reading the field and anticipating what is there. Sometimes, a defense will make a mistake that the QB does not anticipate. The QB might read Cover 3 at the snap and be right. However, he may miss a WR running open because his read was correct, and he looked away from him, but a defender unexpectedly blew his coverage.

Unfortunately, you just don't have time to sit in the pocket and wait to see what happens. A lot of the time, you have to throw it or move to your next progression before the guy has finished his break. Goff will see these things on film and learn from them. But at the end of the day, they will always be present because of the nature of the position. Goff is going off of what he THINKS will happen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

looked at the video again. it looks like goff is looking straight at sammy make his move. i don't know why he didn't pull the trigger towards him.

BadCompany

Rookie
I tweeted about that miss as it happened... if I'm remembering correctly (and who knows if I am) it was a long third down, and as the video showed deep in our own zone. So MAYBE Goff was looking for a more sure thing, in the 10 yard hitch for the first down. Yeah, I know he has good deep ball accuracy, and you gotta take it if its there, but maybe sub-consciously he was thinking about moving the chains, and not going for the TD. Like, "this is the play call, and Watkins may be open for a deep throw... but it might be easier to throw it ten yards and keep possession." If he's still a little unsure of himself he may have been mentally leaning toward the safer play.

Just a theory.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tweeted about that miss as it happened... if I'm remembering correctly (and who knows if I am) it was a long third down, and as the video showed deep in our own zone. So MAYBE Goff was looking for a more sure thing, in the 10 yard hitch for the first down. Yeah, I know he has good deep ball accuracy, and you gotta take it if its there, but maybe sub-consciously he was thinking about moving the chains, and not going for the TD. Like, "this is the play call, and Watkins may be open for a deep throw... but it might be easier to throw it ten yards and keep possession." If he's still a little unsure of himself he may have been mentally leaning toward the safer play.

Just a theory.
I think that's a very plausible theory.

Micah

UDFA
Name
Micah
You heard it on ESPN, so he's just not that good and you don't know what we saw in him ??? Is that just what ESPN had to say or is that your thought process as well ???
Both. He was below average in Buffalo and I think he'll be a little better in LA but let's not act like he's Dez or Antonio Brown or Beckham. He isn't even on par with Doug Baldwin.