1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sammy Watkins

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Ram_Rally, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Ram_Rally

Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

You're getting plenty of points across. We get that if he's not open then he shouldn't be thrown the ball. But, as you've said with tavon, if he's just a decoy then he isn't being looked at as a legitimate option. I've seen kupp and higbee targeted in plenty of plays where they weren't "open" but mcvay and Goff are making a clear effort to involve them. But I digress, maybe this will be a moot point and we'll either A- continue to score or B- get him the ball. Time will tell. Also, for the record, I have no complaints when the ball is being spread around efficiently (colts game, niners game, cowboys game).

• Like Like x 1
  2. NERamsFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Expand Collapse

Actions speak louder than eords. I hate to say it, but it looked almost as if watkins was running at "practice" speed. Just hope he's not getting frustrated with lack of touches.

TRUST THE PROCESS BROTHA!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ram_Rally

Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

I'd just like to see him being the "first option" more if that makes sense. We seemed to be targeting tight ends on go routes and kupp when he's covered by Sherman which seems way off to me.

4. yrba1

Goff and Gurley
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure Watkins is still trying to pick up the playbook. Doesn't matter how talented you are at the position, it's gonna take time to pick up the route tree and execute it in a second nature fashion to really produce

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ram_Rally

Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

He did manage to clear it up say that Goff was his guy and that he loves being a ram, fwiw.

6. Ram_Rally

Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Kupp in triple coverage probably isn't the best read to force then, correct?

7. Ram65

Rams Time To Turn It Around
    Expand Collapse

I would think he is getting double coverage. I would like to see tape on Sammy running routes and the defenses he is seeing. They may have someone deep on his side and one underneath. I just don't know. Lot's of number 1 WR go against double coverage. Sometimes you have to let them make a play and or scheme to get him involved.

I wrote something similar before the game. I think it was in the thread with the Sammy story about the Bills. The 49er game is a great example of plays for Sammy. He made that short down and out 6-8 yards for a first down look easy while adding 5 or so more of YAC. Like you said screen, slants and even short outs could be big plays. Considering Sammy's talent I would script a couple plays early to get him involved. That could set him later for the long ball and get him in the game.

• Thread Winner Thread Winner x 1
  8. Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Expand Collapse

Just a guess here but...

Depending on how the opponent is defending the Rams, maybe they send Watkins deeper to open up the underneath for the others?

So, you might say... why doesn't someone else go deep and distract?
    Guessing because he draws double coverage and/or more attention to stretch the defense?

Maybe the SF defense was such that they didn't need to keep the deep backs out there?

Interesting that it's only been the SF game where McVay and company adapted... again, maybe it's them taking what is given and not forcing what is not.

9. A55VA6

Shutdown Corner
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    Past few weeks Sammy got open but wasn't thrown the ball... I think it's getting in his head that he won't get the ball because his routes yesterday were lazy. He would quit on the route towards the end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ram65

Rams Time To Turn It Around
    Expand Collapse

We are guessing without game tape. The long pass against the Whiners was double coverage. I imagine Watkins is opening things up for others underneath yet, they can't send him deep all the time. I doubt defenses are doing a blanket coverage with two defenders up on Sammy. If it's double coverage with a safety over the top then he only has to beat the up defender on a short down and out or quick slant. I was an advocate of not forcing the ball to Sammy when the subject came up before the Whiners game. Thinking it over and seeing how Sammy is a good hands big target and is hard to bring down I deferred to getting him some early targets to get him involved. Somehow I think McVay can do this without forcing it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jrry32

Legend
    Expand Collapse

Watkins had already received two targets in the game to that point.

12. lockdnram21

Legend
    Expand Collapse

He's not being doubled that much

13. Micah

UDFA
    Expand Collapse

I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work and they were saying Watkins just isn't that good plain and simple. Not sure what you guys saw in him tbh. I mean Kupp is more of a number 1 guy IMO.

14. lockdnram21

Legend
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Watkins will be resigned... Because he want wanna come back

15. Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Rams On Demand Sponsor
    Expand Collapse

Then he's either just plain not getting open or Goff is ignoring him.

1+1=4

16. Ramzheart

Rookie
    Expand Collapse

I was going to post this as well. He just said he's not upset with limited targets and he's not publicly complaining but what does this tweet say?!
    Not happy, go to coach. Not smart when this is an audition not only for the Rams but the entire league.
    You want the ball, be ready when it's thrown, simple as that! What would've Brady or Rodgers reaction have been if they thought Watkins had not given 100 percent.
    Watkins is a stud and I hope things get on back on track. That Goff to Watkins bomb was a thing of beauty- think that was the niners game , right? I thought for sure it was on after that with those two!!

17. UKram

Pro Bowler
    Expand Collapse

Do you think mcvay is maybe attacking the weakness of the oppsing D .. which is why certain players get targeted more ? .. good corners attack the LBers with the TE and skit guys ... crap run D pound gurley .. fast LBers go at the corners ... maybe just maybe that has something to do with all this

• Like Like x 1
  18. lockdnram21

Legend
    Expand Collapse

Your crazy.... Kupps getting covered by lbs and slot receivers...no where near a #1... Watkins is being misused

• Like Like x 1
  19. RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
    Expand Collapse

• High Five High Five x 1
  20. 1maGoh

Rookie
    Expand Collapse

Then shouldn't we have run more in the last game? I thought the chickens had a crap run D.