Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvay has to find a way to get this guy more touches. He should be as important to our offense as Gurley. Like aj green said after the loss to the Texans, "this is a superstar driven league. I want the ball". No reason that Sammy got only 4 targets on 50 pass attempts. Kupp and higbee and Everett will come around and contribute but the ball should always go through your best playmakers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think this coaching staff is the type to reward a player who gets caught half-assing routes.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think this coaching staff is the type to reward a player who gets caught half-assing routes.
It's a situation that the coaches definitely need to address (Goff actually said that it was a miscommunication and that Sammy is a hard worker). Either way, they've traded for a game changing receiver in his contract year and he's clearly the most talented receiver on the team. Our offense will do well with him more involved.

STLRam

UDFA
Agreed. If Goff is who we think he is then there's no reason for Watkins to not have consistent 1000 yard seasons if he's not hurt. He's a top 5 WR talent and something the Rams haven't had in over a decade. They don't need to force him the ball, just get him involved in every game and good things will happen.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. If Goff is who we think he is then there's no reason for Watkins to not have consistent 1000 yard seasons if he's not hurt. He's a top 5 WR talent and something the Rams haven't had in over a decade. They don't need to force him the ball, just get him involved in every game and good things will happen.
My brother and I were talking about it. He said that our offense is kinda like Steelers lite. I can agree. The ball should go through gurley and Watkins first. When the whole offense is clicking it's awesome but when they're stalling it struggling (like today or against Washington) then why not put the game on the shoulders of your most talented offensive weapons

HellRam

Starter
My brother and I were talking about it. He said that our offense is kinda like Steelers lite. I can agree. The ball should go through gurley and Watkins first. When the whole offense is clicking it's awesome but when they're stalling it struggling (like today or against Washington) then why not put the game on the shoulders of your most talented offensive weapons

Yeah I'm with you on this. I don't think Watkins has even been given 1 jump ball opportunity. Their are times when you need a WR to just make a big play and Watkins is that type of player who can do that.

I'm also in agreement Sammy had a bad game today. Him and Goff just are not clicking right now. They need to give Watkins some easy catches and screen plays mixed in there just to make him feel involved.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Frankly, our passing game is modeled more after the Saints than the Steelers. We spread the ball around each week. It's why you don't see us peppering Watkins with targets like Ben peppers Brown with targets. We usually involve 6-8 different players in the passing game. That's much like what Drew Brees does. It's just our offensive philosophy. I don't see that changing. I agree that we can do a better job of getting Watkins involved, but Watkins also has to earn it. Today, he didn't earn it.

I think Kupp and Woods were the two guys out there earning targets today. I was very disappointed, though, that we didn't involve Gurley much in the passing game today. I think that could have been quite effective with how Seattle was playing us. Feeding him as a checkdown option might have allowed us to move the ball methodically down the field.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love me some Sammy ... but frankly as long as the ball is moving up and down and we are scoring I couldn’t care less who gets the ball

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Frankly, our passing game is modeled more after the Saints than the Steelers. We spread the ball around each week. It's why you don't see us peppering Watkins with targets like Ben peppers Brown with targets. We usually involve 6-8 different players in the passing game. That's much like what Drew Brees does. It's just our offensive philosophy. I don't see that changing. I agree that we can do a better job of getting Watkins involved, but Watkins also has to earn it. Today, he didn't earn it.

I think Kupp and Woods were the two guys out there earning targets today. I was very disappointed, though, that we didn't involve Gurley much in the passing game today. I think that could have been quite effective with how Seattle was playing us. Feeding him as a checkdown option might have allowed us to move the ball methodically down the field.

McVay said very early that he was going to share the ball around - he did while at Washington, and like you said Brees has made a career out of it, surprised that Gurley wasn't more involved through the air too. But I think you've got to admit that Seattle won this game rather than the Rams losing it.

Drops and turn overs don't win games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay said very early that he was going to share the ball around - he did while at Washington, and like you said Brees has made a career out of it, surprised that Gurley wasn't more involved through the air too. But I think you've got to admit that Seattle won this game rather than the Rams losing it.

Drops and turn overs don't win games.

Nah. You're right that drops and turnovers don't win games, but that doesn't mean Seattle won it. Seattle tried to give us the game. We didn't take it.

Sappy113

Rookie
Nah. You're right that drops and turnovers don't win games, but that doesn't mean Seattle won it. Seattle tried to give us the game. We didn't take it.

We tried even harder giving it back to them. So I guess we won at that?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We tried even harder giving it back to them. So I guess we won at that?

That we did, but it should be reassuring that we played about as bad of a game as we could play, and we still had the ball in our most reliable WR's hands in the end-zone for the game-winning TD with 8 seconds left. All of the bounces went Seattle's way today. That won't happen every week. Good football teams lose games (usually 4-6 games a year). This was the type of game that good football teams lose.

We're a good football team. That will be proven over the next six weeks. This game gives me confidence that we're a better team than Seattle. We just need to mature and stay confident.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Saints is a good comparison too. Easy to forget how young the offense is and the they'll continue to get better. All well, on to next week

Sappy113

Rookie
That we did, but it should be reassuring that we played about as bad of a game as we could play, and we still had the ball in our most reliable WR's hands in the end-zone for the game-winning TD with 8 seconds left. All of the bounces went Seattle's way today. That won't happen every week. Good football teams lose games (usually 4-6 games a year). This was the type of game that good football teams lose.

We're a good football team. That will be proven over the next six weeks. This game gives me confidence that we're a better team than Seattle. We just need to mature and stay confident.

My thoughts exactly. Elite football teams mostly avoid this type of game, but we're not that yet. Earlier times would've seen us blown out in a game like this, though. It was sloppy and ugly, but I'm willing to chalk it up to inexperience on behalf of both many of the players and offensive coaches. Learn from it, keep winning, and see where we end up. Should that be a late-season showdown in Seattle for the division, I have faith we can take the W in their house. But that's for another time. Jax is a significant hurdle now.

jjab360

Legend
As Sammy Watkins recently said he's not publicly complaining about his lack of targets to the media, but his play on the field says it all.

We not me, probably won't be resigned at this rate. Hoping to see some drastic changes in the near future, because it's been a while since we had a true no.1 receiver but there's no room for divas on this team.

…..

Legend
As Sammy Watkins recently said he's not publicly complaining about his lack of targets to the media, but his play on the field says it all.

That's kinda the way I saw it.

TE"s leading the team in targets. I'm guessing Sammy has noticed.

Still, it's Sammy's job to keep his head in it and be ready for the ball.

If he was pouting in any way, against the Seahawks at home, then thats a terrible look for him and for us.

Hope we are wrong.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

We not me, probably won't be resigned at this rate. Hoping to see some drastic changes in the near future, because it's been a while since we had a true no.1 receiver but there's no room for divas on this team.

Not sure how he expects to increase his targets when he doesn't try to catch the ball when he is targeted. I'm to the point where I think I want to see Reynolds out there instead. There is no excuse for what he did yesterday.