1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sammy Watkins - Rams Top Choice?

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by paceram, Apr 17, 2014.

1. tbux Well-Known Member

maybe because they know if they press him they will get burned deep!

2. tbux Well-Known Member

could not agree more! why many want defense with the top two picks is baffling?? I can see a corner or safety with one of them- but be real- our O needs the most help- pretty obvious.

3. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Or maybe they played him that way because he struggled vs. press coverage. But, more likely I'd say it's because there's very little press coverage going on in college football nowadays no matter who is at WR.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. tbux Well-Known Member

that's probably true- not much press in college. You concerned about his ability to beat press coverage? nothing from what I have seen tells me he will struggle with it.

5. jrry32 Well-Known Member

This. There aren't a lot of teams that press consistently. Alabama and Michigan State are two of the few.

6. Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

Everytime I watch Evans I see the limited routes and the grabbing and pushing that he does on nearly every play. It makes me think he would be picked much too high at the top of round 1.

Niw if he insistently got separation without all of the contact then I would be interested.

7. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Confirmation bias.

NJRamsFan likes this.
  8. den-the-coach Well-Known Member

Which is why I like Darqueze Dennard at 13!

Alan likes this.
  9. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I'd rather he get it with the contact. That's the point of being a big WR. Rather have a big WR that creates separation with physicality and strength than one that relies on quickness to do it. Because it's pretty rare to find a 6'5" guy with the coordination, hips, and feet to be quick enough to create separation.

If anything, seeing how physical, strong, and assertive Evans already is at his young age...it makes me want him more. You can work on route running(and you have to with almost any prospect)...you can't teach a guy to be mean and physical. Some guys have it, some don't.

Alan, NJRamsFan and Memphis Ram like this.
  10. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Eh. I'm not opposed but he's a little too reliant on it. I'd rather wait and grab a more scheme versatile guy. But Dennard is a great press CB and a good zone CB. But you have to utilize him in that way. Can't put him in off coverage or else he's going to struggle and the flags will be flying all day long.

11. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Agreed. Can't expect a bigger physical WR to play like a smaller, quicker type and vice versa.

12. Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

Evans is far too reliant on pushing off. Sure you want him to be physical but he also needs to be able to get open. He will get flagged all the time the way he shoves DBs. It actually looks like he uses the shove to propel himself away. That is not going to fly in the NFL.

I watched Martavius Bryant highlights and he is 6'-5" and he gets separation.

What did Snead say about Evans? He's a basketball player........

13. RamzFanz Well-Known Member Pit Boss

1 Clowney
    2 Clowney
    3 Clowney
    4 Clowney
    5 Clowney

I'm confused about your name A55VA6...

Is it pronounced ASSFAG or ASSVAG?

I just need clarity for my current video project.

I would feel terrible if I mispronounced it. :)

14. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

lol ASS-VAG

15. paceram Well-Known Member

I am still thinking the Rams will select Watkins at #2 (Unless Clowney is available or if they trade down which is very, very possible) but can someone give me their opinions on just how big of a gap there is between Watkins and Mike Evans? I know the big difference is their size but other than that what are the big differences (Route Running, Hands, Quickness, etc) between these two players? Is there a chance the Rams could select Robinson with their #2 pick (or, possibly a short trade down) and then move up a few spots to get Evans (or, is Watkins that much better than Evans?)? I have to admit that after watching more video of Evans he does seem like with his size and hands (and, pretty good speed) he could be a real weapon for the Rams and Sam Bradford. I would still prefer Watkins but this might be a way for the Rams to get their OL (Robinson) and WR (Evans) without giving up too much.

16. lockdnram21 Well-Known Member

the point is know one knows when long is coming back and with his injury history you dont know how long he will be healthy. imo if we draft matthews or robinson long will be gone after this season

17. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

I doubt Long is gone if he comes back strong and our LG spot is filled by someone who who get pushed into his knees.

Our OL wasn't bad last year. Give Sam reasons for defenses to back off and they will. Watkins a very reasonable option.

I like Mathews and Robinson, but I really trust our OL coach.

18. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Martavis Bryant is a pure speed guy...like Stephen Hill. He's not a good player.

They don't call push-offs in the NFL often. Remember Dez Bryant pushing Finnegan down in order to catch a TD? Anquan Boldin pushing off on nearly every play?

They let it go. As for the contention that he can't get open without being physical...not true. Plenty of examples to the contrary. But I'm fine with him getting open by over-powering DBs. At 6'5", there aren't many DBs in the NFL that will be able to stop him from doing it.

19. Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

They seem to call everything if you are wearing a Rams uniform.

20. scifiman Lighten up, life is hard enough.

I like your thinking on this. Mathews is my top pick on my board. The bloodlines alone say this guy will play for you for 15 years and be one of the best. He is a better pass blocker than Robinson and it is a passing league. If we can at 13 get any of those guys I would be happy. I actually prefer Gilbert for all the things he can do.