Sammy Watkins: “I need to improve route-running”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
WR Sammy Watkins: I need to improve route-running ‘to become a dominant player in the NFL’. Watkins comments are from his addressing the media at the Combine. He talks about his playing style, what he needs to improve, the NFL receivers he admires, and how he thinks he’s a top 10 player. He’d love to play with Josh Gordon in Cleveland.

Listen to Watkins Interview

nighttrain

Legend
WR Sammy Watkins: I need to improve route-running ‘to become a dominant player in the NFL’. Watkins comments are from his addressing the media at the Combine. He talks about his playing style, what he needs to improve, the NFL receivers he admires, and how he thinks he’s a top 10 player. He’d love to play with Josh Gordon in Cleveland.
Listen to Watkins Interview
Ruins him as pick for me, we already have receivers working on this project, who needs one more?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Ruins him as pick for me, we already have receivers working on this project, who needs one more?

I absolutely agree Train, we've got more than enough projects" thank you....it's time for producers, this is a (potential) make or break year for many players including; Quick ( running outta time, IMO), Pead (we need producers NOT pretenders, get your head straight), Cook (what happened after game 1?), and finally (I'm sorry to say) Bradford (potential, promise, great guy, accurate (but where's the beef?)....TBD! And yes, even our friend Saffold (can he stay healthy?)

Speaking about healthy, for all you folks who are stuck on Stacy as the bell cow or at least primary RB......he's short, runs with power and finishes all his runs with head forward (love em), BUT, he's not the size (IMO) that can take the pounding 25 or 30 carries a game for 16+ games. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe he can hold up to the pounding....therefore, we need a 2nd RB that can share the load (EFFECTIVELY).

As for our WR's, personally, I'm tired of the excuses for this group as well. We know there's potential with this bunch, but there's little doubt we need a "primary receiver" who can draw double coverage and stretch the field (hopefully with SIZE).....WHO IS THAT PLAYER? Givens must step up his game THIS SEASON (along with Quick). To those who repeatedly suggest that Tavon should be used as a running back.....perhaps against defenses that can't cover the edge effectively, but (IMO) as with Stacy, his size STRONGLY suggests this strategy risks unnecessary injury. I'm no offensive genus, but it seems clear to me that Tavon's bread and butter resides in only one place (offensively) and that is "IN SPACE". We know what he can do, why subject him to further abuse ? For my money, other than the slot and as a 3rd of 4th receiver (plus punts returns & an occasional K.O.), it's a mistake to put him at risk as a RB out of the back field (except for an occasional keep em honest carry).

I was tempted to comment about the "D", but honestly, I believe we're looking at a top 5 defense and look forward to both Quinn and Long's record setting season, along with help from Brockers of course.

Peace.

iced

So then we should stay away from linemen that want to improve their pass pro/technique, like robinson?

Just sayin' - hardly a knock that a guy wants to improve on something...now if it were the other way around...

Alan

Legend
iced with a flash of insight:
So then we should stay away from linemen that want to improve their pass pro/technique, like robinson?
Exactly.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's a humble guy to openly state that, of which I really like.

Most every rookie WR needs to work on route running. The route tree in the Pros is much broader than in college, most typically.

I like Watkins a lot and would be jacked if we got him. I just feel Robinsin/Mathews would help us more in the short and long term.

Robinson in horns has my vote.

tbux

Rookie
Of course, catching 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage doesn't help his cause.

that makes him a project? why are you so stuck on this one thing- tell me did he catch that high a % because of play calling or because he cant do other things- you seen him enough- you know the answer to that.

scifiman

If a play works it works so why not keep doing something what works as for this 70% passes caught within 5 yards stuff. Him saying he needs to improve is what you want him to say. Jerry Rice used to say he always needed to get better as all other successful athletes say and do in professional sports. He is coach-able. And I have seen him catch plenty down field too. He did not call the plays. To put him down on any of these things is not correct for a scouting report. As for the rams drafting him? Slim. Only because of where they sit. If something shakes out where the rams could conceivably get Watkins and Mathews in round 1 I would be ecstatic and call it great draft already. The thing is having Watkins with Tavon and Givens and or Bailey and add Cook to the mix you have speed galore. Someone will be open and it will be make or break for Bradford.

Memphis Ram

Legend
that makes him a project? why are you so stuck on this one thing- tell me did he catch that high a % because of play calling or because he cant do other things- you seen him enough- you know the answer to that.

My point was that said percentage doesn't help his cause from anyone considering him a project. And quite frankly, it's probably one of the main reasons he needs work on his route running because of the experience he missed in college.

His usage at Clemson? How do we know that the coaching staff didn't simply play to his strengths? Did he struggle running the correct routes in practices? Could he not make necessary adjustments? Did press coverage cause him lots of problems? Let's face it. He might turn out to be a superstar. But, we don't know any of this stuff. Or at least I'm willing to admit that I don't.

Last edited: