Sammy Watkins Declares For Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...-watkins-leave-clemson-tigers-enter-nfl-draft

Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins will pass up his senior season and enter this year's NFL draft, according to multiple media reports Sunday.

AP Photo/Richard ShiroClemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, according to multiple reports.
The Tigers will also lose receiver Martavis Bryant and defensive back Bashaud Breeland to the draft, they told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Scouts Inc. rates Watkins as the highest-rated wide receiver and No. 4 player overall available. ESPN analyst Todd McShay projected him as the 13th overall selection in his mock draft.

Bryant told ESPN that he and Watkins will train together in preparation for the draft.

"It's the right thing to do for my family," Bryant said.

Watkins had a record-setting night with 16 catches for 227 yards and two scores in Clemson's 40-35 victory over Ohio State in Friday night's Discover Orange Bowl. Watkins became Clemson's career receptions leader and set an Orange Bowl record for yardage.

Watkins had 101 catches for 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns this season.

Bryant also caught two touchdown passes in the Tigers' Orange Bowl victory. He finished the year with 42 catches for 828 yards and seven touchdowns.

Breeland had four interceptions this year. Late in the fourth quarter of the Orange Bowl, he sacked Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller and forced a fumble on the play.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If the Rams pass on Watkins at #2 he will probably be gone before #13. Which begs the question how high will Bryant go, he looked impressive in what I have seen of him, tall WR with good hands and he isnt afraid to go get the ball, he could be a big influence on Quick by showing him how to be more aggressive.

TexasRam

Legend
I've seen posters compare him to a Crabtree, Blackmon, Roddy White and Others.

This dude has elite explosion and strong hands.

I think he catches the ball with balance, positioning and strong hands like Crabtree but explodes after the catch and out of his breaks exactly like Julio Jones.

#2 might seem a little early to draft him, but if you dick around and move back too far you will lose him. He is going very early.

Get him at #2 and then take your tackle with the #13.

Pair Watkins up with Tavon and Bailey and get the dam show on the road!!

It's been way too long since the Rams had serious weapons on offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen posters compare him to a Crabtree, Blackmon, Roddy White and Others.

This dude has elite explosion and strong hands.

I think he catches the ball with balance, positioning and strong hands like Crabtree but explodes after the catch and out of his breaks exactly like Julio Jones.

#2 might seem a little early to draft him, but if you dick around and move back too far you will lose him. He is going very early.

Get him at #2 and then take your tackle with the #13.

Pair Watkins up with Tavon and Bailey and get the dam show on the road!!

It's been way too long since the Rams had serious weapons on offense.

There's not really a good comparison for him. At first, I was thinking a faster Crabtree...but someone mentioned Torry Holt and that felt more accurate to me. He snatches the ball like Torry did and he has that sort of speed where he just explodes by defenders on the deep route...as well as the ability to freeze and blow by defenders with double moves. He's thicker and stronger than Torry was though.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
There's not really a good comparison for him. At first, I was thinking a faster Crabtree...but someone mentioned Torry Holt and that felt more accurate to me. He snatches the ball like Torry did and he has that sort of speed where he just explodes by defenders on the deep route...as well as the ability to freeze and blow by defenders with double moves. He's thicker and stronger than Torry was though.
If he has the potential to be a better version of Holt, as you imply, we need to take him at two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he has the potential to be a better version of Holt, as you imply, we need to take him at two.

A better version of Holt? I wouldn't go that far. But he has the potential to be a Holt type of talent if he puts his mind to mastering route running and works hard in the NFL.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
A better version of Holt? I wouldn't go that far. But he has the potential to be a Holt type of talent if he puts his mind to mastering route running and works hard in the NFL.
Have you heard anything about his discipline and work ethic? I know you take your scouting seriously.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you heard anything about his discipline and work ethic? I know you take your scouting seriously.

Nah. Nothing bad. I know he got arrested for a drug offense after his freshman year. Beyond that, nothing. But I tend not to delve into character unless it is a problem ON the field. Can only judge by what's on the field.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Nah. Nothing bad. I know he got arrested for a drug offense after his freshman year. Beyond that, nothing. But I tend not to delve into character unless it is a problem ON the field. Can only judge by what's on the field.
Thanks. As long as he keeps off the pot, sounds like he could go a long way. I'm not sure that he (or any wide receiver) is worth taking at #2 overall, but if we were to trade down a few spots Watkins could be a viable option.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks. As long as he keeps off the pot, sounds like he could go a long way. I'm not sure that he (or any wide receiver) is worth taking at #2 overall, but if we were to trade down a few spots Watkins could be a viable option.

I agree with you.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont know anything about Watkins character, but, he came across very good in his post game interview. He appeared humble and I just got a good impression of him, not that I'm an expert or anything but I know when I have met new employees at every job Ive ever had I knew within 2 mins how they would/wouldnt work out.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He's the first WR I would take this high since Green or Jones. He is just flat better than any other WR in this draft class.
Taking off the rose colored glasses...All the Rams have is TA and so far a bunch of Jag's. He might last till the 8th pick so shop fast.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
My prediction is that by draft day, Watkins will be considered better than AJ Green.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
No way we can trade back further than 6, maybe even 4. Because he will never get by Tampa. Let's see how he does at the combine then we will have a better idea if we should stick at 2 and draft him

nighttrain

Legend
lets hope the Browns want to trade up, those two first rounders would be sweet
train

SC-Ram78

Rookie
Browns may stay put at 4 and want to jump some spots to grab Bortles at 13 and give us the pick they got from the colts and a 2nd and 3rd rounder. :bigup: