Sammy Watkins coming to St Louis for private workout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I really think Austin Pettis will be traded during the draft.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
With the depth at wr in this draft, you think we'd get anything for him?
I think he could easily be part of a package to move up in a round or something to that effect.

Who knows...but I don't see Austin Pettis as the roster spot keeping the Rams from taking one of the top 5 or WRs if they fall to them and are graded higher than another position.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only way they take Watkins is if they get a trade down and Matthews is off the board. So they have to do their due diligence.
As usual Maxie, you're right on point! Matthews will be the pick.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he could easily be part of a package to move up in a round or something to that effect.

Who knows...but I don't see Austin Pettis as the roster spot keeping the Rams from taking one of the top 5 or WRs if they fall to them and are graded higher than another position.

Not sure I'm getting what you are saying,no HE wouldn't be why we wouldn't take Watkins, Jake Longs knee WOULD be, trying to protect Sam early in the season with him coming back off an injury WOULD be, the overall strength of the position on our roster WOULD be,that our o-line ,lbs and dbs as units rank below our wrs. athletically WOULD be.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not sure I'm getting what you are saying,no HE wouldn't be why we wouldn't take Watkins, Jake Longs knee WOULD be, trying to protect Sam early in the season with him coming back off an injury WOULD be, the overall strength of the position on our roster WOULD be,that our o-line ,lbs and dbs as units rank below our wrs. athletically WOULD be.
Sorry...typo in there...it should have read, top 5 or SO WRs. Not just Watkins.

And I agree with you about Jake Long's health playing a big factor in whether they consider Watkins or not.

I was more referring to the comments from Snead/Fisher about our current WRs coupled with the addition of Britt. It seems to me that the depth chart would currently have Pettis as the No.6 guy. Given that, I don't see Pettis' upside valuable enough that the Rams would pass on Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Lee, and maybe a couple more guys. JMO.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As usual Maxie, you're right on point! Matthews will be the pick.

I agree. They will play Britt as the #1 (huge mistake) and Bailey as the #2, sprinkling in Givens (ugh!) with Tavon in the slot and right after another pathetic season of offensive football ends everyone will be in an uproar to go get TWO starting caliber wr's....but alas by that time Watkins will be tearing it up, most likely in SF.

Oh, and there will be 4-5 more starting LT's in their mid 20's available in FA next year just as there was this year....but NO #1 wr's.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. They will play Britt as the #1 (huge mistake) and Bailey as the #2, sprinkling in Givens (ugh!) with Tavon in the slot and right after another pathetic season of offensive football ends everyone will be in an uproar to go get TWO starting caliber wr's....but alas by that time Watkins will be tearing it up, most likely in SF.

Oh, and there will be 4-5 more starting LT's in their mid 20's available in FA next year just as there was this year....but NO #1 wr's.

I never knew you felt that way

tbux

Rookie
lol, how any of you can say with such certainty that the Rams wont take this player or that player is laughable, in your opinion they wont, but I would be willing to bet that your opinion has been wrong on draft day more than once. not trying to stir the pot here, but when you say "no way do the Rams take that player" you are putting your opinion out, not the Rams opinions.

absolutely right- we all give OPINIONS, some seem to think theirs is fact- it isn't. We are all guessing, so have better logic behind their guesses than others, but unless someone here is connected to Snead or Fisher, then no they are just giving opinions.

I would think Watkins is indeed in play- mostly with a trade down, which I think they are going to pursue with vigor. of course that is jmo! lol

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

But none of those LT that a team was willing to let go that you REALLY WANT, Matthews will protect your boy RFIP, be at peace.

tbux

Rookie
I hate the idea of drafting a guy 2 overall and playing him at OG for a couple years. that's jmo of course.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I hate the idea of drafting a guy 2 overall and playing him at OG for a couple years. that's jmo of course.
I don't really get this.

I'm in favor of taking whatever player makes us a better team now and in the future. If it is someone that comes in and plays guard, tackle, WR or whatever, fine...as long as the team is better for it. If they play one position one year and move to another later, that's fine too.

tbux

Rookie
Well my issue is he hasn't played OG, so he will be learning a new position- hard to think he would be very good this year playing OG. At 2 overall, I want an impact player- not a LT playing OG for who knows how long. I want a dominant player at their position. Don't see him being dominant at OG. If we trade back and get him- that's better- just not at 2.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Understand where you stand RFIP and all of us know Watkins won't be in San Francisco, however, it does not matter about the available LT's next year when you don't have any this year and I am willing to go on record that Jake Matthews will make more pro bowls than Sammy Watkins not that it means anything, however, the one thing IMO people are missing on is the durability of Watkins, he had some issues with injuries at Clemson.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Teams cannot work out prospects unless they go to them. They can bring Watkins in for a "visit" (including medical), or they can go to Clemson to work him out, but they cannot bring him in for a workout.
Man - your avatar is a blast from the past. Welcome aboard. I think you'll like it here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
lol, how any of you can say with such certainty that the Rams wont take this player or that player is laughable, in your opinion they wont, but I would be willing to bet that your opinion has been wrong on draft day more than once. not trying to stir the pot here, but when you say "no way do the Rams take that player" you are putting your opinion out, not the Rams opinions.
My opinion on draft day has been right.... oh I dunno.... once?