Sammy Watkins Catches Orange Bowl Win For Clemson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Sammy Watkins catches Orange Bowl win for Clemson
By Rob Rang --January 4, 2014 12:18 am ET

[www.cbssports.com]

There were plenty of star-worthy performances in an instant classic of an Orange Bowl between Clemson and Ohio State but junior wideout Sammy Watkins shined brightest with a record-setting performance in the Tigers' heart-stopping 40-35 victory.

In a game that featured two shocking, inexecusable interceptions from star quarterbacks Tajh Boyd and Braxton Miller in the final two minutes of the game, Watkins was the constant.

Watkins caught 16 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns, demonstrating the agility, acceleration and strong hands which has earned him NFLDraftScout.com's top spot among potentially NFL draft-eligible receivers.

With Ohio State's star cornerback Bradley Roby unable to suit up due to a bone bruise suffered against Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship game, Watkins was expected to perform well. He did more than that. Watkins dominated.

A more dynamic athlete than former teammate and Houston Texans' 2013 first round pick DeAndre Hopkins, Watkins caught his passes on a variety of routes, including quick screens to take advantage of his ability to make defenders miss in close quarters, deep passes due to his acceleration and jump balls to highlight his leaping ability and hand-eye coordination.

Watkins' first touchdown was actually one of his easiest receptions of the night. Lining up in the slot, he took off on a deep vertical down the middle, hauling in a well thrown pass from Boyd to give the Tigers a 14-7 lead in the first quarter.

His third quarter touchdown also came after lining up in the slot. As he ran down the field, however, Watkins slipped outside, saw Boyd's pass was short and leaped into the air, snatching the pass at its highest point to steal away any chance of Ohio State's Doran Grant knocking the ball free.

Watkins was at his best catching screens, where his extraordinary burst made him a constant threat to turn a short pass into a long gain.

Every college football team in the country uses screen passes to get the ball into the hands of their top playmaker in space. Most teams rely on blocking to free their athlete. Watkins showcased the vision to follow his blockers when they were in position but rather than wait, he often simply caught and ran in one fluid motion, consistently catching a fast Ohio State defense flat-footed. This wasn't a demonstration of lethargy or poor coaching by the Buckeyes, instead it was a lesson for scouts that Watkins' engine has a nitro burst.

The third-year junior is expected to join USC's Marqise Lee and Texas A&M's Mike Evans in making himself eligible for the 2014 draft soon. Lee announced his intentions to enter the draft Friday night, despite a disappointing junior campaign. Evans, a redshirt sophomore, made his announcement known on Thursday.

While Watkins was the unquestioned star for the Tigers, the beauty of this bowl game was that impressive performances were turned in by each team's top stars. Ohio State rode stars Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde throughout the game. Boyd threw for five touchdowns and ran for another while defenders Vic Beasley and Spencer Shuey were all over field on defense.

LOL, you know I'm kidding right?

Sammy Watkins = SUPER STAR

Really :confused:, why haven't you made your feelings known? I do like Watkins but I'm not sure Sam is the right guy to throw to him, it maybe just me but Sam has always struck me as a bit of a "turd".

PhxRam

Really :confused:, why haven't you made your feelings known? I do like Watkins but I'm not sure Sam is the right guy to throw to him, it maybe just me but Sam has always struck me as a bit of a "turd".

Okay we understand you are trying to rile him up.. Enough already

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Okay we understand you are trying to rile him up.. Enough already

I actually thought that was so obvious it was too funny.

It shouldn't rile up RFIP. He's got a sense of humor.

Alan

Legend
I knew they were joking and I'm pretty sure RFIP did too. RFIP just wasn't taking any chances.
Still, it's best to put that stuff in blue so everyone knows right away.

PhxRam

I actually thought that was so obvious it was too funny.

It shouldn't rile up RFIP. He's got a sense of humor.

If it was all in good fun and both parties took it as such, then I apologize for jumping the gun.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn you Max, don't go lying abut me, I'm one mean SOB!!!

RFIP

"Put it in blue"? What does that mean?

I knew they were joking and I'm pretty sure RFIP did too. RFIP just wasn't taking any chances.
Still, it's best to put that stuff in blue so everyone knows right away.

RFIP

Oh ok, good to know. I post a lot on my droid and I don't think I have that option there. Will check for it on my pc later...

Alan

Legend
RFIP asking:
"Put it in blue"? What does that mean?
It means sarcasm/pulling your leg. They got me on it several times before Stu was nice enough to explain it to me. Everyone in the known universe knows how hot you are for Watkins. Thus when he pretended like he didn't know how you feel about him he was pulling your leg. Big time. :lol: But he didn't put it in blue so it might not have been obvious even if you were aware of the custom.

Partly my fault for not telling you. I should have done you the same favor that Stu did for me. You post so much I forgot that you were new.

You must have thought some of my posts were even weirder than normal.:heh:

EDIT: had you put the reply of yours "he's ok" in blue we would all have known you were in on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RFIP

Thanks you JACKASS!

(Did I do that right?) :rofl:

It means sarcasm/pulling your leg. They got me on it several times before Stu was nice enough to explain it to me. Everyone in the known universe knows how hot you are for Watkins. Thus when he pretended like he didn't know how you feel about him he was pulling your leg. Big time. :lol: But he didn't put it in blue so it might not have been obvious even if you were aware of the custom.

Partly my fault for not telling you. I should have done you the same favor that Stu did for me. You post so much I forgot that you were new.

You must have thought some of my posts were even weirder than normal.:heh:

EDIT: had you put the reply of yours "he's ok" in blue we would all have known you were in on it.

PhxRam

Oh ok, good to know. I post a lot on my droid and I don't think I have that option there. Will check for it on my pc later...

You should have the option regardless of your platform. Simply click the capital A with the underline in the message editor. You then can select a color. Simply select one and start typing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I prefer this in blue...

shp0031.jpg