sammy sammy and sammy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Welcome aboard.

I will say this regarding Sammy. He is in the top tier group of players in this draft. Greg Cosell said he's the best WR to come out since AJ Green and Julio Jones. So he certainly would be a great add.

Thing is, there are about 3 or 4 players (excluding QBs) in this draft that are better than anyone from last year. I believe we need to come away with one of them.

Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, and maybe Matthews. I expect Snead to get one of them. He said he wants HOFers. Well, you don't pass on all of those guys.

Matthews - Man I've never seen a guy LOSE as much steam as this dude, even with the pedigree. So many people have soured on him and jumped on the Robinson train it is even making me think; "could he be another Jason Smith??"

And I've heard people say Robinson is NOT a LT and MAY be best suited at G...

Why travel those roads with such a high pick?

I agree we need to come away with a sure fire elite talent and I think most know which one I'd grab.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sam has enough time to throw the rock, ESPECIALLY working off our run game. The issue, plain and simple is the wr's. Not to mention, adding a great wr will help eleviate some of the running issue we had in SF, in Seattle and in Arizona because those teams won't be loading the box..."or else."
Bradford was hurt because the O line protection broke down and he was forced out of the pocket.

Clemens HAD enough time (sometimes but he still scrambled quite a bit) when the running game was going and we had Long, Williams, Wells, Saffold and Barksdale starting. Long may not be back to 100% by the start of the season. Williams, Wells an Saffold could all be gone. That would leave only Barksdale of that group to start the season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well I think we have proven that no matter how well you protect Bradford if you don't have people with the ability to get open and make catches it doesn't matter.

Do it the Peyton way (Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Faulk, James) then (Decker, Thomas, Thomas and Welker) and you don't get hit nearly as often because you don't have to hold the ball.

You cannot question Mannings pocket awareness, he has been excellent at that during his career. He older now and maybe he is a little less shifty but his ability to slide around in a crowded pocket is better than Bradford's. He unloads it when it's time and he has to avoid the hit or sack.

I know you are going to bring up the Super Bowl.......but don't bother.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Matthews - Man I've never seen a guy LOSE as much steam as this dude, even with the pedigree. So many people have soured on him and jumped on the Robinson train it is even making me think; "could he be another Jason Smith??"

I agree we need to come away with a sure fire elite talent and I think most know which one I'd grab.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings Matthews 2 Watkins 6

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014bigboard.php Matthews 2 Watkins 4

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2014.asp Matthews 3 Watkins 4

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

According to Boylhart, Smith and Robinson aren't in the same conversation. It's not even close.

Greg Robinson OT Auburn

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

STRENGTHS
Greg is a remarkable athlete. He has the size, strength, foot quickness and lateral agility to be a Pro Bowl offensive lineman in the NFL. He is a dominating and intimidating run blocker, due large in part to his mental strength and lateral agility. He plays until he hears the whistle and shows leadership skills through his play on the field. Greg has those long arms that keep players away from his body and, when he engages his opponent while run blocking or pass blocking, he continues to move his feet until the play is over. Greg is built like a sequoia tree with a strong tapered body and roots solid on the ground. He is a hard kid to move; defensive ends and tackles tired quickly against him in just about every game I saw on film. In the 4th quarter, Greg just keeps on banging away on every down and when he does make a mistake, he doesn’t make it again. He is smart and will quickly pick up the techniques that will make him a Pro Bowl offensive lineman and a future franchise Left Tackle. I call him Greg (Sequoia) Robinson.

CONCERNS
Anyone that watches this team knows that pass blocking is not as much of a priority as run blocking. However, that being said, Greg is behind in learning the pass blocking techniques that he will need at the next level. Nevertheless Greg is a fast learner and because of his natural athletic ability he will learn fast. Right now he is what I call an attack pass blocker. He likes to get his hands on his opponent right away and then stone him at the line of scrimmage. That might change at the next level, but I think it’s in Greg’s DNA to attack and most likely he will continue to block aggressively when pass blocking or run blocking. So I suggest you let him and be creative in how to use his talents.

BOTTOM LINE
If you’re a team that doesn’t need a quarterback in the top ten of the draft, I suggest you think hard before you pass on drafting Greg. It will be a big mistake. His mental strength and athletic talent is far beyond most of the offensive linemen that usually come out in a draft. He has Pro Bowl talent and left tackle franchise talent that does need to be groomed, but that’s why you have position coaches. I would draft him and put him at left tackle right away and live with his mistakes as he learns because Greg will not get better sitting on the sidelines or playing another position on the offensive line that does not impact the team as much as the left tackle position. The draft is about potential as much as it’s about getting players who can help you right away. Greg may need some time to learn more effective pass blocking techniques, but given that time, I know he will not disappoint you. Just teach him the techniques and let him mature into that franchise Left Tackle.

Drew Boylhart
JAN/2014

Jason Smith OT Baylor

STRENGTHS

Jason has good size and quickness as well as those long arms that you like to have in your offensive linemen. He does a good job when he latches onto his man in finishing his blocks. He looks to be mentally tough and has very good mental and physical stamina. Jason is a player who plays with excellent passion and drive. All in all, Jason has some very good developmental talents to be a solid offensive lineman for the next level.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Jason is the worst run blocking offensive lineman that I have ever seen being considered as a top ten pick. Does anyone but me watch film at all? As far as pass coverage is concerned, on every third and long, he was covered up with a TE off the line. Jason has a chance to be a good zone blocking offensive lineman because he moves his feet well, but that's as far as I will go. He has talent; however, his LTI is at least three to four years away from competing at the next level. I like the kid, but not as a first rounder.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 3

This is ridiculous! Just because a kid plays LT in college and has some athletic talent does not mean he should automatically be considered a top ten talent in the draft! Jason has good developmental talent to be a LG for the next level but he has a very long way to go. He does some of the strangest things on a football field that I have ever seen. Against Wake Forest, he was on the ground more than the man who fixes the invisible fence for your yard. I watched Jason pull one time and he did a good job until he went to block his man. He never put his arms out in front, dove over the man he was supposed to block and landed right on his head. On another play, he tried to block the man in front of him straight on, so he dropped his head, lunged and landed on his face mask! His techniques in both the running game and passing game are very raw. He does have talent and passion and I can see, with some patience and in the right scheme, that he could be a hell of a left guard, but believe me that is down the road. Good kid or not, if you rate a player as a top ten pick in a draft then he has to be ready to start for your team. Jason is not close to that and people that tell him otherwise are just setting this kid up to fail.

fearsomefour

Legend
So Matthews more day 1 ready, more polished over all and more versatile, Robinson is a better athlete with a bigger upside.
Matthews has fallen from being widely considered the best T prospect to still being a top 10 pick....not the disaster you are describing.
I don't care which guy they take. I just want the Rams to upgrade the O line long term and that starts with a long term answer at LT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So Matthews more day 1 ready, more polished over all and more versatile, Robinson is a better athlete with a bigger upside.
Matthews has fallen from being widely considered the best T prospect to still being a top 10 pick....not the disaster you are describing.
I don't care which guy they take. I just want the Rams to upgrade the O line long term and that starts with a long term answer at LT.

Rams win with either not worth much debate really if the Rams can do a good trade down & get the 2nd OT off the board we should be patting ourselves on the back. It not like we don't have holes the size of the grand canyon in our present 2014 OL! JM or GR would have their pick of two to three OL posts right off the bat!

There's the often injured Harvey Dahl's & UFA Roger Saffold old ORG post...then there's UFA Chris Williams & UFA Shelley Smiths old post @ OLG.... then there's the all important swing OT that UFA Rodger Saffold, UFA Chris Williams & Joe Barksdale all handled last season. So the OL is not like the Rams receivers units where we have 8 or 9 NFL game experienced receivers looking for more work. We have big vacancies.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I want more than an upgrade to the O. Call me greedy, but I'm hoping that there are at least a couple of HOFers in this draft. The Rams have the 2nd overall pick, so they have no excuse for not getting one of them.

I'm influenced by all the reports that say this draft has better players at the top than last year. Robinson is being compared favorably to Walter Jones. If he turns out to be that, and we trade down too far and miss out on him and just get an upgrade to the OL, then I'll be angry.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have it....
OT
CB
OG
FS
DT
OLB
QB
RB
WR

I see Fisher/Snead targeting these below positions in the draft but if a DE Jadeveon Clowney is there @ 1.2 he is a Ram or if they miss on Jadeveon then they could bite early on the disruptor DT Arron Donald there @ 1.13. But needs are:
OT Replace Saffold/Williams
CB Replace Finnegan
OG replace Smith/Dahl/Saffold/Williams
QB Replace Clemens/Davis
Safety Replace Stewart/Giordano

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Welcome to the board

Have to pass on Watkins there are other positions of greater need. Protecting Bradford has to be the highest priority it wouldn't do any good to have megatron if Bradford is being hit in 2 seconds or less every time he drops back.
I'd say you can draft quality OL later. A #1 receiver, if Watkins is that, won't be available later.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd say you can draft quality OL later. A #1 receiver, if Watkins is that, won't be available later.
Orlando Pace did not get drafted later.

Why is it ok to pass on blue chip talent for the O line but not WR?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Orlando Pace did not get drafted later.

Why is it ok to pass on blue chip talent for the O line but not WR?
Because, unless something goes really really wrong, we will not be drafting someone to be LT. That position is already covered.

You don't draft RT, G or C with pick #2.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Because, unless something goes really really wrong, we will not be drafting someone to be LT. That position is already covered.

You don't draft RT, G or C with pick #2.
Unless you are really bad like the Rams have been you always draft for the future. It is likely that Long maybe gone after 2015 so since we don't plan on being in position to draft a HOF type LT we should consider doing it now if they think one is there.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Unless you are really bad like the Rams have been you always draft for the future. It is likely that Long maybe gone after 2015 so since we don't plan on being in position to draft a HOF type LT we should consider doing it now if they think one is there.
If there's a guy who is obviously so far ahead of the pack that it's worth drafting him even if we don't have immediate need, then draft him... whether we're talking about an OT or Clowney.

If that's not the case, then your argument is making the assumption that Watkins is NOT an HOF type and that the LT we draft IS. (Ignoring the issues WRs have making the HoF, of course.)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If there's a guy who is obviously so far ahead of the pack that it's worth drafting him even if we don't have immediate need, then draft him... whether we're talking about an OT or Clowney.

If that's not the case, then your argument is making the assumption that Watkins is NOT an HOF type and that the LT we draft IS. (Ignoring the issues WRs have making the HoF, of course.)
I think there are a few guys at the top who might make you pick for over all talent without considering need but this teams O line currently is a mess, it might change in FA and that would changes things dramatically for their draft. If not there is now way I pick Watkins over one of the 2 OTs. If Bradford is on his back the talent at WR does not matter and having more potential talent at WR does not give him more time to throw.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I think there are a few guys at the top who might make you pick for over all talent without considering need but this teams O line currently is a mess, it might change in FA and that would changes things dramatically for their draft. If not there is now way I pick Watkins over one of the 2 OTs. If Bradford is on his back the talent at WR does not matter and having more potential talent at WR does not give him more time to throw.
But now you're just going back to the already responded to argument.

YES, the OL needs upgrades. BUT every position besides LT (and maybe even LT) can be upgraded with later picks. RTs can be had in rounds 2 and 3 and Cs and Gs go lower than that.

On the other hand, #1 WRs (if that is what Watkins is) tend to come in the 1st round.

Plus, remember that Fisher has a reputation for NOT taking offensive line early.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But now you're just going back to the already responded to argument.

YES, the OL needs upgrades. BUT every position besides LT (and maybe even LT) can be upgraded with later picks. RTs can be had in rounds 2 and 3 and Cs and Gs go lower than that.

On the other hand, #1 WRs (if that is what Watkins is) tend to come in the 1st round.

Plus, remember that Fisher has a reputation for NOT taking offensive line early.

Going back to that because it appears that some think it is ok to just pick a second level guy and let Boo coach him up and that would be good enough. LT is one of the premier positions that you don't pass on, much more so than a WR. And that old story about fisher and OL is just that old and has no bearing on what cold happen when/if they are in a position to get the next guy who will be at LT for 10 years.

I like Watkins but not as good as Matthews or Robinson and most of the big boards out there are in agreement. Watkins is good but not #2 good.