Sam still has work to do to earn roster spot/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sam still has work to do to earn roster spot
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ef9d5324-c04a-5632-a7e3-22d76d3b86af.html

Michael Sam has been a Ram for three months. In three weeks, he finds out if he’ll remain a Ram.

And make no mistake, with one preseason game down and three to go, Sam’s status remains up in the air.

After reviewing game film of the Rams’ 26-24 loss Friday to the New Orleans Saints, coach Jeff Fisher was measured in his comments evaluating Sam’s play.

“Mike played pretty well,” Fisher said. “Got tired as well, just like Aaron (Donald) did. He was in the 35- to 39-play range. Played with effort. Made some mistakes.

“I would expect him to play much better this week after he got whatever it is behind him like the rest of the rookie class. First-year guys. First preseason game is a little nerve-wracking. But I think he’ll settle down.”

According to unofficial press box stats, Sam was credited with one tackle and one quarterback hurry against the Saints.

Fisher had good things to say about the work of Ethan Westbrooks, the undrafted rookie from West Texas A&M who is challenging Sam for the fifth defensive end spot on the roster.

Westbrooks “was good,” Fisher said. “He was productive. He made some good chase plays down the field. Had some good rushes. Got to the quarterback. Had some hurries. Played both end and tackle for us.”

Westbrooks was unofficially credited with three tackles and one quarterback hit.

Sam called his first NFL game, albeit of the preseason variety, an awesome experience.

“Going out of that tunnel, it was some goosebumps,” he said. “It was amazing. The smoke, the flames — it was amazing. ... During the national anthem I was like, ‘Wow, this is the big stage.’ “

Asked to evaluate his play after the game, Sam said, “You know the hardest critic is going to be myself. I could have done a little bit better, but I’m not mad about it. I could have gotten two sacks. On one, I thought it was a screen and it wasn’t, so I was upset.”

But at the end of day, Sam said he came out of his first NFL preseason game feeling like he belongs.

“That I can play in this league — that’s the most important thing,” Sam said. “I was kind of nervous. I got the nerves out. It was a very good learning experience, and I can play in this league.”

Whether he gets that chance with the Rams as the NFL’s first openly gay player is to be determined.

Some other takeaways from the Rams’ preseason opener:

FIRST-ROUNDERS

No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson and No. 13 overall pick Donald had solid debuts but nothing spectacular. Robinson started at left guard but also played left tackle.

“We had a problem early with communication inside,” Fisher said. “We turned the nose loose. (Robinson) was supposed to come down, and it resulted in a sack.”

On the play, center Tim Barnes turned to the inside. Robinson was supposed to “block down,” or turn inside as well. Instead he turned to the outside, leaving an open lane for Saints nose tackle Brodrick Bunkley to sack quarterback Shaun Hill late in the first quarter.

“But from a run game standpoint he was good; most of the time in pass protection he was solid,” Fisher said. “He played pretty well.”

As for Donald, he got plenty of work — taking part in about three dozen plays.

“He flashed; made some plays,” Fisher said. “Penetrated and got in the backfield. Didn’t get any (sacks) — the ball was coming out quick. That was their plan. Played a lot and got tired, and that happens.”

Although he wasn’t in on either tackle, Donald blew up two running plays by penetrating into the backfield.

TIGHT ENDS

With Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks and Cory Harkey firmly ensconced here, the only battle is for what figures to be the fourth and final spot. Undrafted rookie Alex Bayer made a big move for that job Friday with five catches for 71 yards — both team highs.

One of the competitors for the spot, Mason Brodine, was lost for the season with a fractured ankle. He’ll undergo surgery Tuesday.

Justice Cunningham, who also is in the mix, was banged up Friday. But he had a tough night, dropping a pass in the open that would’ve been wiped out by a Rams penalty anyway. He also got beaten on a blitz for a sack. His false start late in the first half turned a second-and-10 from the New Orleans 18 into a second-and-15 from the 23 with 37 seconds left in the half. The Rams ended up settling for a field goal.

SECONDARY

Cody Davis is a leading contender for a safety job behind starters T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod, but he had a rough night with a pair of missed open-field tackles, one of which came on a touchdown run by Saints running back Mark Ingram. He also was flagged for a 15-yard facemask penalty, jump-starting New Orleans’ final TD drive of the night.

With both Janoris Jenkins (hamstring) and Trumaine Johnson sitting, rookie E.J. Gaines of the University of Missouri started at cornerback. He showed aggressiveness, good closing instincts and sure tackling — unofficially, he had a team-high six stops. But he did overrun Saints wide receiver Brandin Cooks trying to prevent what became a 25-yard TD catch in the third quarter.

Gaines is fighting for what looks like probably the fifth or sixth cornerback spot (assuming the Rams keep six). Also in that mix is Marcus Roberson, who after a very quiet training camp showed up with a pass breakup in the end zone and a tackle for loss. But he also missed a tackle.